Cardio required to get to 10%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio required to get to 10%?

So based on the responses from my continue cutting thread, I decided to keep going hard at the diet and get down to 10%...

I have not done any cardio up to this point and haven't really had any problems shedding the weight. However, I have also never been down to as low as 10% in my entire life so I have no clue what it really takes to get there. I am a typical ectomorph...

Should I add cardio now to speed up the process or only add it if weight (fat) loss stalls?

If your a typical ectomorph you should not have been to far away from 10% from the start...
    2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
    2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
    2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
    2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
    2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
    2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
    *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
    88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
    88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Hartley View Post
      If your a typical ectomorph you should not have been to far away from 10% from the start...
      Nothing that says ectomorphs can't get fat. They just need to eat more than most people to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
        Nothing that says ectomorphs can't get fat. They just need to eat more than most people to get there.
        Thank you.

Yes I was 155 pounds at SIX FOOT FIVE when I graduated high school. Until my last year of college before I decided to eat, I was maybe 170-175 and at graduation I was 185. I dirty bulked for about 4 years and got to 245 and it took a lot of effort even though I am a computer programmer and sit on my ass all day. So yes, I am an ectomorph who got fat and I am really just wondering what it really takes to get to 10%, that is all.

Comment

Did not suggest they could not get fat, I was talking a true ectomorph, I have trained a few and one gained 30+lbs in a matter of 4 months with very little gain in bodyfat, naturally.
          2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
          2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
          2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
          2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
          2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
          2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
          *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
          88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
          88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

Comment

Did not suggest they could not get fat, I was talking a true ectomorph, I have trained a few and one gained 30+lbs in a matter of 4 months with very little gain in bodyfat, naturally.
            I am sure if I had someone closely looking at my diet, I would have had similar results. However, with no guidance, I primarily did it with fast food, pb&j's, and weight gaining powders. The result is a lot of fat gain, regardless of body type.

Comment

i am no one special or with a great physique but my personal experience is i did not get very lean until i did a TON of cardio, i mean 30 mins 4-5 days a week, and hard, not 120 heart rate. that is what worked for me. i would think genetic freaks can do nothing and get lean, but for me i needed a good bit of cardio and eating less calories is not the same as eating more calories and doing the cardio as far as im concerned.

Comment

I personally need to do 30min of cardio per day to experience any significant fat loss. ;(
                If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

That does sound like what someone with elite genetics could achieve. Most ectomorphs would never be able to gain that much muscle in 4 months, not even with AAS.

Comment

That does sound like what someone with elite genetics could achieve. Most ectomorphs would never be able to gain that much muscle in 4 months, not even with AAS.
                    going from 140 to 170 isn't that hard to achieve when you actually start pushing the food.
                    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                    www.316fit.com
                    Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                      going from 140 to 170 isn't that hard to achieve when you actually start pushing the food.
                      It isn't hard, but with minimal fat gain in 4 months...not gonna happen for ectomorph with low/average genetics.

If you go to the butcher and ask for 30 lbs of roastbeef, that's a huge amount of lean muscle and would literally transform any physique.

140 lb untrained skinny dude has maybe 50 lbs of skeletal muscle on his body, gaining half of that in 4 months is pretty extreme imo. Just my opinion.
                      Last edited by Quadriceps; 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

the big question is ,,is where are you now for your fat % .. I took myself to around 10 % without counting calories or cardio . you can find a thread or 2 on here with the question of does LONG SLOW cardio ..truly burn fat ...look around your gym ,,the same fat people are doing cardio that were doing it last year ......diet is huge
                        A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
                        ME " I know"
                        Her"WHAT!"
                        Me " I know I am good looking"
                        Her" You're also and asshole"
                        ME " I know that too!"

Comment

It isn't hard, but with minimal fat gain in 4 months...not gonna happen for ectomorph with low/average genetics.

If you go to the butcher and ask for 30 lbs of roastbeef, that's a huge amount of lean muscle and would literally transform any physique.

140 lb untrained skinny dude has maybe 50 lbs of skeletal muscle on his body, gaining half of that in 4 months is pretty extreme imo. Just my opinion.
                          I don't see it as so extreme. Part of that is water, glyocgen, etc. Taking an untrained, underfed individual and putting them on a proper workout program and proper nutrition program and having them gain 30 lbs in 4 months is pretty much newbie gains. Nice thing about being ectomorph is also the ability to stay lean very very easily. They typically have to push really hard for fat gain.
                          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                          www.316fit.com
                          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Deepsquat3 View Post
                            the big question is ,,is where are you now for your fat % .. I took myself to around 10 % without counting calories or cardio . you can find a thread or 2 on here with the question of does LONG SLOW cardio ..truly burn fat ...look around your gym ,,the same fat people are doing cardio that were doing it last year ......diet is huge
                            Good point!

Not sure where I am (never tested)

Here is the original thread. http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44668

I would estimate I was at least 20% to start and I am probably around 13% now. I went from 245 to now 218 with zero cardio and the weight fell off pretty easily because I am very strict and consistent with my carb cycling approach (occasional cheat on weekends). I did just switch my training schedule though...I was on an every other day routine but it was not enough recovery, so I am back on a traditional m-w-f. I guess I will just have to monitor my progress and see from there, but was just wondering what other lean guys did on here.

Comment

Originally posted by mchicia1 View Post
                              I have not done any cardio up to this point and haven't really had any problems shedding the weight...

...Should I add cardio now to speed up the process or only add it if weight (fat) loss stalls?
                              If you're talking fat loss only, I would add it when you stall - or when your progress slows significantly. From that point, increase it as needed/when needed.

There are other beneficial reasons aside from fat loss to add it to your program year long however.
                              2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                              2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                              2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                              2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                              2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Working...
                              X