Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing Weight Gain Issue

Hi,

I've been training for quite some time and after hurting my shoulder in an un-related issue I was able to start training again after a year and a half recently.

I am currently 8 weeks into a push/pull/legs split. I am bulking and I have my calories in check right now.

The issue I am having though is mostly just confusing to me because it makes no sense at all.

When I used to train I was 160lbs and always struggled to gain more weight. My diet back then wasn't great to say the least. But when I was making weight gain my body was following.

Now though I have climbed to 183lbs and at 5'7 it isn't a bad weight. But what has really confused me is apart from an inch and a half on my arms I'm the same size measurements as I was when I was 160lbs.

My strength has gone up a lot and I am stronger than I was when I was 160lbs. So why is my body not following suit? It doesn't really follow anything I have learned so far or that I have encountered before.

I check my measurements once a week. So I am completely confused as to where this weight has gone. Especially since it seems as though my waist has not increased in size or decreased in size. Despite the fact that in pictures it looks tighter.

I am working mostly in the 4-6 rep range right now, trying to create a good base of strength before I start my hypertrophy phase.

I would love someone to shed some light on to what is going on or what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
    altrock

I will probably stick my program out for now though.

I was just thinking, when I started this program I decided there is no more changing half way through. I've done that too many times before and it is the fast lane to nowheresville.

It also makes me think of a story I once heard about a guy who spent all of his lifes savings to get equipment to go out and mine for gold since he had found a small amount.
    After 6months of nothing but his original single finding. He left and gave his equipment away. Presumably to mope and moan about how it was a waste of time.
    The two men he gave his equipment to later that week hired a geologist to come in and take a look at the mountain where he had been digging. The geologist noted that the vein of gold was on the other side of where the man was digging because it was separated by a natural fault line.

What this means to me. Is sometimes you just need faith and to stick things out a little longer.

The fact that I'm gaining weight and not getting much size returns could be a sign that I'm on the verge of exploding in size. Progress isn't linear.

Anyway.

Any ideas are still welcome.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by altrock View Post
      Hi,

I've been training for quite some time and after hurting my shoulder in an un-related issue I was able to start training again after a year and a half recently.

I am currently 8 weeks into a push/pull/legs split. I am bulking and I have my calories in check right now.

Now though I have climbed to 183lbs and at 5'7 it isn't a bad weight. But what has really confused me is apart from an inch and a half on my arms I'm the same size measurements as I was when I was 160lbs.

My strength has gone up a lot and I am stronger than I was when I was 160lbs. So why is my body not following suit? It doesn't really follow anything I have learned so far or that I have encountered before.

I check my measurements once a week. So I am completely confused as to where this weight has gone. Especially since it seems as though my waist has not increased in size or decreased in size. Despite the fact that in pictures it looks tighter.

I am working mostly in the 4-6 rep range right now, trying to create a good base of strength before I start my hypertrophy phase.
      Some thoughts:

An inch and a half on your arms in 8 weeks is great progress (if I'm understanding your timeline). You are also getting stronger so something is going right. If your waist hasn't changed size but appears tighter, then I would say you are gaining muscle while dropping some bodyfat - which could account for why other measurements are not showing an increase. You may start seeing more progress in terms of measurements after moving up in your rep range, so as you say, stick with it. You probably don't need to be checking measurements every week though. Every few weeks would suffice.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
        Some thoughts:

An inch and a half on your arms in 8 weeks is great progress (if I'm understanding your timeline). You are also getting stronger so something is going right. If your waist hasn't changed size but appears tighter, then I would say you are gaining muscle while dropping some bodyfat - which could account for why other measurements are not showing an increase. You may start seeing more progress in terms of measurements after moving up in your rep range, so as you say, stick with it. You probably don't need to be checking measurements every week though. Every few weeks would suffice.
        Thanks for chiming in.

What you have said makes a lot of sense really. I am going to stick with my current program and work even harder in the gym!

By the way yes to an inch and a half in 8 weeks.

I'm very lucky that I have been able to train 6 days a week twice a day for the first 5 weeks of my program. I'm going to slowly come back on to two-a-day training again. As I still have a lot of time on my hands, I backed off because I believe I was experiencing overreaching.

I will be increasing rep-range from week twelve-sixteen depending on how I feel progress is going. I'm not keen on fixing something that isn't broke, so if I'm still getting stronger I don't really see the point.

My strength-centric training is really for a good foundation for the future.

Comment

Also as a completely irrelevant issue, ever since I hurt my shoulder my Bench Press has really suffered.

I used to have a 1RM of 220lbs when I weighed 160lbs.

I currently only have a 1RM of 200lbs at a weight of 183lbs.

All my other pressing work seems to be fine, I have better form than I used to have. This is to try to prevent recurring shoulder issues.

The other effect I have noticed is some days I can get within 80-90% of my 1RM for a set of say 4-6 reps but then my next pressing day I can't even get close to that percentage of weight used.

What I find even more peculiar is my close grip bench press is very quickly approaching my normal bench press weight.

I think I must have some strange imbalances :/

Comment

stop doing bench press before you injure your shoulder again ...
            A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
            ME " I know"
            Her"WHAT!"
            Me " I know I am good looking"
            Her" You're also and asshole"
            ME " I know that too!"

Comment

Originally posted by Deepsquat3 View Post
              stop doing bench press before you injure your shoulder again ...
              While that may be the most sensible advice I just don't see it being practical.

How else am I going to develop my chest?

Comment

Working...
              X