Continue cutting? (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continue cutting? (Pics)

I have been dieting for about 12 weeks now. The first 4 weeks, I simply dropped dirty foods and didn't really get very scientific about anything. The result was shitty gym performance because my cals ended up being WAY too low.

For the last 8 weeks, I have been using carb cycling (from Starne's lean gains book) and got very precise with everything. I feel I have had pretty good results and lost a significant amount of back and stomach fat. However, this is the first cut I have ever done and it is starting to wear on me a little bit. The diet itself is pretty easy to maintain, but I am just not feeling that great in the gym the last few workouts (although I have made great progress up to this point the last 7 weeks). I even got my deadlift from high 400's to pulling 520 two weeks ago.

But I am beginning to get "small-o-phobia". See I was one of those guys who judged myself based on scale weight (wasn't into BBing yet, now I am). I started the diet at 245 pounds and now I am all the way down to 218.

Part of me thinks since I have gone this far, I should just keep going and get even leaner....but the other half is telling me it is time to start building mass to fill out my 6'5" frame.

I think the problem is that I didn't really have an end goal in mind when I started this. Basically this diet started because my wife called me a fatass LOL (in a nice way). Then we took pics and I really saw just how much stomach fat I was carrying, so I kind of went into this thing with a very open ended goal of reducing my protruding stomach. Well, I succeeded for the most part in that goal but since it is such an open ended goal, I have no clue when to stop LOL.

Anyway, enough ranting...here are the pics. I am almost 28 now and have been training since 24...so almost 4 years. Used basic powerlifting/strength routines but lately I have been doing a more DC inspired type of training (very high intensity, very low vol), but still using a lot of the basic movements that gave me the muscle in the first place.

I do have specific short and long term goals though...
    I want to squat 500 x 1, pull 600 x 1, and incline bench 275 for 5 in one year and be 225 at 10% BF.

My ultimate long term goal is to attain 245 at 10% BF without AAS.

I started at 24 weighing 180 with no muscle.

about 8 weeks ago at 233

FRONT AND BACK - Relaxed

Back Flexed, lost the front flexed pic

Two weeks ago at like 222
    Just messing around, no relaxed
    Front and back sort of flexed

Today at 218

Front and Back Relaxed

Front and Back Flexed
    I dont know how to pose lol.

Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 06-17-2011, 10:31 PM.

Pics too small.

Seriously though, if I was in your position I'd probably continue cutting. But if you're okay with your bodyfat level and want to continue making size gains you should probably do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
      Pics too small.

Seriously though, if I was in your position I'd probably continue cutting. But if you're okay with your bodyfat level and want to continue making size gains you should probably do that.
      For some reason it created two threads, so I copy and pasted the thumbs from the other one. Try now...clicking on them gives a normal sized pic. Sorry about that LOL.

Yeah I am thinking of continuing trying to lose fat, but I might slow it way down so I can try a recomp through the summer then hit it hard in the fall. What would you estimate my BF% now?
      Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 06-17-2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mchicia1 View Post
        For some reason it created two threads, so I copy and pasted the thumbs from the other one. Try now...clicking on them gives a normal sized pic. Sorry about that LOL.

Yeah I am thinking of continuing trying to lose fat, but I might slow it way down so I can try a recomp through the summer then hit it hard in the fall. What would you estimate my BF% now?
        I'm no expert but maybe 14-15?? I'm at a similar level myself and cutting.

Comment

I'm no expert but maybe 14-15?? I'm at a similar level myself and cutting.
          I was thinking around there. Pretty demoralizing actually lol. Just goes to show how much muscle you really gain (read don't gain) during dirty bulks (which I won't do ever again), but I was so painfully skinny when I started I think that was the only way. Now I can focus on trying to keep the body fat at bay.

But if I am really 15% and my goal next year is 10% at 225, maybe you are right and I should try to get close to 10% now.

Comment

X2 in favor of keep cutting...
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

keep dieting
              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
              17 AAU Super Total
              '16-AAU Hi
              '15-USPA Metro
              '15-USPA State
              '15-AAU HI
              '14-AAU HI
              '14-USPA Metro
              '14-WABDL Sonny's
              '14-USPA State
              '14-HI Strongman
              '13-USPA
              '13-WABDL Sonny's
              '13-USPA State
              '13-AAU HI
              '11-USPA Metro
              '10-NPC Stingrey
              '09-NPC Islands
              '09-NPC Stingrey
              '09-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA Islands
              '02-ABA IronWorks
              '01-NPC Paradise Cup
              '01-ABA Olympia
              '01-ABA Islands
              '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
              '00-INBF Musclefest
              '98-NGA Ill
              '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

My guess is you are about 12-13% but it's hard to tell without pics of the legs.

I would probably diet down to 10% so another 5-6lbs / 5-6 weeks and then don't bulk again.

IMO natural guys can only gain about 5-6lbs of muscle per year once they get past the first few years of training so don't try to add 1lb per week when you go back to wanting to gain muscle.
                If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
                  My guess is you are about 12-13% but it's hard to tell without pics of the legs.

I would probably diet down to 10% so another 5-6lbs / 5-6 weeks and then don't bulk again.

IMO natural guys can only gain about 5-6lbs of muscle per year once they get past the first few years of training so don't try to add 1lb per week when you go back to wanting to gain muscle.
                  Legit 10% bodyfat is pretty damn lean. To reach that level I would guess he would need to lose more like 9-10 pounds. But I wouldn't focus too much on the scale, and use the mirror more. Actually my scale just broke and I'm not buying a new one, it can mindfuck you hard when cutting.

Comment

Yeah, painfully slow gaining muscle and it is only amplified more by being 6'5" since I have more area to distribute it to.

So here is the question...

How should one eat to gain muscle if natty? Are we talking just barely above maintenance? Or maybe a carb cycling approach where you eat a lot on training days?

Comment

Legit 10% bodyfat is pretty damn lean. To reach that level I would guess he would need to lose more like 9-10 pounds. But I wouldn't focus too much on the scale, and use the mirror more. Actually my scale just broke and I'm not buying a new one, it can mindfuck you hard when cutting.
                      I am sorry I didn't specify what tool I was using to say I that I estimated his bf to be 12-13%.

My tool of choice for measuring bodyfat is the 9 site caliper equation. I believe it's the most practical way to measure subq fat.

DEXA scan may be more "accurate" but it's not practical and as bodybuilders I only care about subq fat.

Also, I looked at the pics initially on a 10" inch netbook. Looking at them again the front pics look around 13-14% and the back pics 10-11% from my experience.

To be contest shredded with the 9 site equation you need to get at 4-5% just to give you an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by mchicia1 View Post
                        Yeah, painfully slow gaining muscle and it is only amplified more by being 6'5" since I have more area to distribute it to.

So here is the question...

How should one eat to gain muscle if natty? Are we talking just barely above maintenance? Or maybe a carb cycling approach where you eat a lot on training days?
                        That's the million dollar question that I have been trying to figure out for 17yrs. lol

There are tons of approaches to this and it really depends on what you want. Some guys are comfortable with getting really fat while they get big and some guys want to stay lean year round.

I am sure most would agree that once you have done 2-3 years of serious lifting and eating that gains slow and that a natural trainee can't expect to gain more than 5-6lbs of muscle per year.

Even if someone were to argue that you can still gain double that, it's only one lb per month so there is no sense in gaining 20lbs on a 3 month bulking phase.

My preference is to set a target bodyfat range that I like and start by dieting down to the number at the bottom of that range and then start eating maintenance while keeping an eye on the log book and the mirror.

As progress slows in the gym I slowly increase calories and I always keep an eye on the mirror. When I get too fat it's time to diet down a bit and then start over.

Layne Norton uses this method, he does 4 weeks of lean bulking then 2 weeks of dieting. I prefer longer periods probably 3 months of lean bulking then 6 weeks dieting or something like that.

You can also find your maintenance calories and stick around that range and just wait for gains but I find it's more motivating to do it in cycles. Also I find that the body seems to stagnate a lot when you are trying to gain or lose a small amount of weight say 0.5lbs per week. Your body wants homeostasis and if it can stay the same it will.

The risk with the slow and steady method is that you might sacrifice some gains. In order to gain 0.5lbs of muscle per month you might need to put on 1 or 2lbs of fat, no one knows...

Comment

That's the million dollar question that I have been trying to figure out for 17yrs. lol

There are tons of approaches to this and it really depends on what you want. Some guys are comfortable with getting really fat while they get big and some guys want to stay lean year round.

I am sure most would agree that once you have done 2-3 years of serious lifting and eating that gains slow and that a natural trainee can't expect to gain more than 5-6lbs of muscle per year.

Even if someone were to argue that you can still gain double that, it's only one lb per month so there is no sense in gaining 20lbs on a 3 month bulking phase.

My preference is to set a target bodyfat range that I like and start by dieting down to the number at the bottom of that range and then start eating maintenance while keeping an eye on the log book and the mirror.

As progress slows in the gym I slowly increase calories and I always keep an eye on the mirror. When I get too fat it's time to diet down a bit and then start over.

Layne Norton uses this method, he does 4 weeks of lean bulking then 2 weeks of dieting. I prefer longer periods probably 3 months of lean bulking then 6 weeks dieting or something like that.

You can also find your maintenance calories and stick around that range and just wait for gains but I find it's more motivating to do it in cycles. Also I find that the body seems to stagnate a lot when you are trying to gain or lose a small amount of weight say 0.5lbs per week. Your body wants homeostasis and if it can stay the same it will.

The risk with the slow and steady method is that you might sacrifice some gains. In order to gain 0.5lbs of muscle per month you might need to put on 1 or 2lbs of fat, no one knows...
                          I like that approach. Thanks for the detailed response. I dont mind getting a little fat over fall/winter time. I would prefer to be lean every summer though. I will probably go a bit higher than only .5 lbs per month because at my age, I don't want to risk losing these years spinning my wheels. I already started too late at 24 and was painfully weak to boot, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

I would definitely keep cutting till you're below 10%, preferably even 7-8%.

Your hormone levels will be better and you'll be able to see changes in the mirror more easily when trying to grow... you'll notice better if you get too fat again too.

Watch Skip's DVD. It's free and contains a lot of information on how to get lean...
                            True Protein 5% discount code: JVM902

What we do in life... echoes in eternity !

Comment

Originally posted by jvandemo View Post
                              I would definitely keep cutting till you're below 10%, preferably even 7-8%.

Your hormone levels will be better and you'll be able to see changes in the mirror more easily when trying to grow... you'll notice better if you get too fat again too.

Watch Skip's DVD. It's free and contains a lot of information on how to get lean...
                              Crazy that I am going to only be about 200-205 at 6'5" (very humbling). But I started at 180 at 15%+ BF so that is still good progress in 4 years I think.

Thanks for chiming in, I will definitely watch the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                              X