Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Deadlifts and Militaries on 5/3/1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Deadlifts and Militaries on 5/3/1?

So I'm starting Wendler's program but I can no longer deadlift, flat bench, or military press. I'm replacing flat bench with declines but I'm wondering if I can replace the military with incline bench? As far as the deadlift goes I have had groin issues which run in my family... my uncle was born with a hernia. I can squat no problem so I was thinking of replacing these with good mornings. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hmm...

Well, replace the press with maybe a seated pressing variation (BB, DB, machine, whatever). Incline isn't the same thing.
    Deadlift wise...well consider a rack pull, hang cleans...something along those lines. I don't see how a GM is any less dangerous than a deadlift honestly.
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
      Hmm...

Well, replace the press with maybe a seated pressing variation (BB, DB, machine, whatever). Incline isn't the same thing.
      Deadlift wise...well consider a rack pull, hang cleans...something along those lines. I don't see how a GM is any less dangerous than a deadlift honestly.
      GM's don't hurt my groin as much... its weird but on the right side of the pelvic area I have like a gap... I think its because my right pyramidalis is smaller or something. Its mainly off the floor that the deads hurt... I guess I can do rack pulls though. As far as the military I can do it with dumbells and do higher reps.

Comment

You can replace MP with Incline Bench at a 45 degree angle. If the dead, hurts off the floor I guess you can replace it with Rack Pulls. Good Luck 5/3/1 has been the best program for my strength.

Comment

Why are you doing 5/3/1? If you don't want to do the basic movements, then just do a different program.....

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
            Hmm...

incline is often subbed for ohp.

deadlift is pulling from the ground gm doesnt effect groin same way though i would use stiff leg or romanian instead
            Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
            -John Ceasar

Comment

I wouldn't think you'd be able to progress a Goodmorning nearly well enough for it to be used as a main exercise on 5/3/1

Comment

Originally posted by thetim View Post
                Why are you doing 5/3/1? If you don't want to do the basic movements, then just do a different program.....
                Good idea! I do like Wendler's form of progression though

Comment

Originally posted by Richard85 View Post
                  Good idea! I do like Wendler's form of progression though
                  you can do a linear periodization on any program....

Comment

Originally posted by Richard85 View Post
                    So I'm starting Wendler's program but I can no longer deadlift, flat bench, or military press. I'm replacing flat bench with declines but I'm wondering if I can replace the military with incline bench? As far as the deadlift goes I have had groin issues which run in my family... my uncle was born with a hernia. I can squat no problem so I was thinking of replacing these with good mornings. Any thoughts? Thanks
                    Do something different. You are not physically able to do the core lifts. Most likely alternate lifts could bother you as well or eventually.

There are always Zurchers, hack squats, good mornings, dips, high angle incline press, floor presses, front squats, box squats of varied heights, Manta Ray squats, narrow grip bench.....just to name a few.
                    International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                    Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Steep Incline at 70-80 degree instead of Military. Better for your back since there isn't the urge to arch like a straight up bench. I actually have an old style Parillo bench, it's very easy on the low back for seated press.
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Working...
                      X