Competition Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition Weight

If I'm 360 pounds with 16% bodyfat, how much weight would I realistically have to cut to not embarrass myself in a local NPC show? Seventy pounds? More? Thanks.

Originally posted by JJWalker View Post
    If I'm 360 pounds with 16% bodyfat, how much weight would I realistically have to cut to not embarrass myself in a local NPC show? Seventy pounds? More? Thanks.
    I'll just hop in an suggest you toss out some pics, which will really be needed to give you any kind of meaningful answer, I'm guessing most would say.

(If you can drop 70lb and step on stage at a shredded 290, even if you're 6'4", you're not likely to embarrass yourself...)

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I'm 6'5" - and although the person doing 7 site testing is university trained I'm getting re-test done Thursday by a PhD who tests a local IFBB pro. I thought I was about 20%.
      Last edited by JJWalker; 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM. Reason: trying to get pictures up and not succeeding

Comment

For some reason I can't upload a png file.

Comment

Best I could do was make the mic my avatar. Wouldn't let me upload it to the post.

Comment

save them to photobucket then post the link . . .thats what I had to do

Comment

Profile pic is not 16%. 20 is closer
              Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

25-30% might be closer, unless he is ripped in the back and legs.

Comment

Yeah, judging by the avi you'll need to lose well over 100lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus View Post
                    25-30% might be closer, unless he is ripped in the back and legs.
                    x2. you are probably mid 20's bodyfat percentage.
                    Im a grad student who needs protein! Need some too? Use my discount code, KJM329 for all your entire Trueprotein.com purchase!

I'd rather be dead then be average. :soapbox:

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't get too caught up into numbers or a time frame yet. You are likely going to need some time to shed that kind of poundage, which is fine, so don't stress over a timetable or numbers. Just get a plan and work it. As you begin to see a physique that is within striking distance of where you want to be, then schedule a show and start to track a little more closely. But, for now, don't worry about all that, just develop a plan and stick to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                        Personally, I wouldn't get too caught up into numbers or a time frame yet. You are likely going to need some time to shed that kind of poundage, which is fine, so don't stress over a timetable or numbers. Just get a plan and work it. As you begin to see a physique that is within striking distance of where you want to be, then schedule a show and start to track a little more closely. But, for now, don't worry about all that, just develop a plan and stick to it.
                        I'm not stressed about time frame, but I am looking for a goal weight.

For the past year the goal has been 295. Not for a contest, just a personal goal. I gained 130 pounds between November 2006 and November 2009 and wanted to lose it. Plus at that weight I felt really good and could do everything I wanted to (i.e. dunk a basketball, run a 5k, stuff like that).

Once I started lifting heavy again I started thinking it would be fun to enter a bodybuilding contest. I'm not saying next month, or even this year.

So maybe I can ask my question another way: what is the typical percent body-fat for someone stepping on the stage at a local NPC show?

Comment

depending on the person and how they hold it 4-6% to be competitive...
                          -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                          -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                          198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                          -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                          198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                          -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                          198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by JJWalker View Post
                            I'm not stressed about time frame, but I am looking for a goal weight.
                            Why? Not, trying to dismiss what you're thinking, but I don't believe that mindset will serve you well. To drop that kind of weight you are probably looking at a 2-year-ish time frame. Having a goal that far away can easily bring you down and/or make it hard to stay focused. I suggest you develop more action oriented goals, like how well you execute the things necessary to get there (diet, weight training, cardio, consistency, etc.). Plus, to be honest no one is really going to be able to give you a number that will be very accurate for you & it won't really have much relevance. Just my opinion, but I'd recommend you focus on the things that are important & ignore the fluff numbers like weight, body comp, etc.

Comment

1. Most people grossly underestimate how fat they are.

2. Try to get the 9 site caliper test done instead. I for one, hold a lot of fat in the lower back and legs so the 9 site puts me about 4% higher then the 7 site. Here is an on-line calculator http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

3. Even if you lost 100lbs, 260lbs shredded @ 6'5" is still very impressive for an NPC show.
                              If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                              http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                              2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                              2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Working...
                              X