Heel pain? plantar fasciitis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel pain? plantar fasciitis?

From what ive found researching the internet so far, it looks like i have "plantar fasciitis" from 1 day of walking around Philadelphia. which i think is ridiculous, but all the symptoms fit; most notably being a lot of pain in my heel area closest the the arch without any obvious injury or marking, with pain starting the day after the increased amount of walking.

has anyone had to deal with this before? and if so what worked best for you did you and how long did it take to beat? internet has recommended orthotics, gel things that you put in your shoes, and stretching/ice

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/

Bro you ideally need someone trained in fascial release or ART. In the meantime stand with the affected area on a lacrosse or baseball and this will give some release. Ideally you should put just enough pressure so that it feels tingly and not outright sore in that area.

Comment

Freeze a golf ball, and roll on your painful area. After pain lessens a little you can try strengthening your foot intrinsics with scrunching up a towel with your toes.
      "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

thanks for the tips guys, i just got back from the doctor and he says theres not much i can do besides take 3 advil every 6-8 hours and get a cheap orthotic from a drugstore or something, id personally prefer to be a little more involved with my recovery

Comment

Originally posted by teckno05 View Post
          thanks for the tips guys, i just got back from the doctor and he says theres not much i can do besides take 3 advil every 6-8 hours and get a cheap orthotic from a drugstore or something, id personally prefer to be a little more involved with my recovery
          There is definitely more you can do. It won't be a quick fix like taking a pill and boom you are healed, but the tips given can certainly help. If problems still are there then maybe some orthotics could be of use if you are severely overpronating. How long has this been going on?
          "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

Comment

i used kwan loon oil and strectching with deep massage , it helped mine alot... thamnks to homo!lots and lots of stretching then i had my fiance massage the crap out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
              There is definitely more you can do. It won't be a quick fix like taking a pill and boom you are healed, but the tips given can certainly help. If problems still are there then maybe some orthotics could be of use if you are severely overpronating. How long has this been going on?
              Yes over-pronation is likely. Would it be possible to take a photo of you standing? Ideally looking at you posteriorly. From the thighs down.

I wouldn't touch orthotics under any circumstances. Some good soft tissue work can get you into supination immediately.

Comment

Couple of easy solutions for you...

#1 (Most important) Keep a towel or (better yet) a stretch band next to your bed. When you wake up after rest immediately stretch the foot and heel BEFORE putting pressure down on it. So basically sit up, grab the band, and stretch. Most people don't understand that the fascia will just continue to tear over and over if you don't do this.

#2 Stretch and ice the heel and foot throughout the day and try to stay off the foot if you can help it. Over time, the pain will subside.

Bottom line is that TIME is needed. Don't push it!
                Strength and Courage

2006 WABDL Iron Chamber Powerlifting Meet
                2007 NABBA Canton Bodybuilding Championships
                2008 NABBA Canton Bodybuilding Championships
                2009 NPC Natural Ohio Bodybuilding Championships
                2010 USAPL Ohio Powerlifting Championships
                2010 100% RAW Northeastern Powerlifting Meet

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainD View Post
                  Couple of easy solutions for you...

#1 (Most important) Keep a towel or (better yet) a stretch band next to your bed. When you wake up after rest immediately stretch the foot and heel BEFORE putting pressure down on it. So basically sit up, grab the band, and stretch. Most people don't understand that the fascia will just continue to tear over and over if you don't do this.

#2 Stretch and ice the heel and foot throughout the day and try to stay off the foot if you can help it. Over time, the pain will subside.

Bottom line is that TIME is needed. Don't push it!

can you go into more detail with the stretches? i used the golfball today and i have some decent heelpain/archsupport orthotics in my shoes which both helped, and i also tried the stretches in bed but i couldnt get a feel for them. i assumed it was like a calf stretch but with a towel which was difficult because it takes (relatively) alot of weight to stretch my calves

ill work on the leg pictures, i already know my knees are messed up (genetic thing, they turn inward, the right one turns in about 35 degrees), which could translate to issues elsewhere, but ive never had pain anywhere until i walked 20+ city blocks in Diesel shoes. i remember having to stop and sit down like 3 times during that haha.

Comment

can you go into more detail with the stretches? i used the golfball today and i have some decent heelpain/archsupport orthotics in my shoes which both helped, and i also tried the stretches in bed but i couldnt get a feel for them. i assumed it was like a calf stretch but with a towel which was difficult because it takes (relatively) alot of weight to stretch my calves

ill work on the leg pictures, i already know my knees are messed up (genetic thing, they turn inward, the right one turns in about 35 degrees), which could translate to issues elsewhere, but ive never had pain anywhere until i walked 20+ city blocks in Diesel shoes. i remember having to stop and sit down like 3 times during that haha.
                    I would like to see a pic of your legs with your feet facing straight forward. If you knees are facing 35 degrees inward, that would be the most severe hip anteversion I have ever heard of. There may be some tibial torsion component here as well. In both of these cases, if you don't have ridiculously strong hips/external rotators, you will have a lot of knee and foot problems.

Comment

well its just an estimate, it could be 15 degrees for all i know, its bad enough that it shocked my physical therapist so much she showed all the other doctors/physical therapists in the place it lol. (that was a year ago, i had been having pain in my knee for 2 years and i was trying to rehab it so i could finally lift properly for legs again)

ill try to have a pic up by tomorrow afternoon-night

foot is getting better btw ty everyone for all the tips

Comment

well its just an estimate, it could be 15 degrees for all i know, its bad enough that it shocked my physical therapist so much she showed all the other doctors/physical therapists in the place it lol. (that was a year ago, i had been having pain in my knee for 2 years and i was trying to rehab it so i could finally lift properly for legs again)

ill try to have a pic up by tomorrow afternoon-night

foot is getting better btw ty everyone for all the tips
                        What did your PT have you do for it? That's my educational background as well, but PTs can approach things very differently.

Comment

just strengthening exercises, like resistance bike, things for my hips, some heating cooling and electrocuting pads, i dont remember more then that because of how long ago it was.

here are 3 pictures, its not easy to tell when my feet are facing forward, but when i put my knees straight you can see how much my foot is off by.

i had no problems through life running/jumping (track), or fighting(karate), or anywhere else until i started training for powerlifting. once i was squatting/deading 360-380lbs @150, i remember feeling like my kneecap was splitting one day while warming up with around 100lbs on my back. i never noticed my knees where off and no one ever said anything to me including my doctors, it was only that one PT that pointed it out after the pain had started

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6923/feetstraight.jpg
                          http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/5...traightjpg.jpg
                          http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3...esstraight.jpg

the amount of atrophy really makes me feel bad but ive been doing a lot of trial and error testing over the years and ive recently figured out ways i can lift and progress again.

by the way my foot is almost 100%, it took over a week but its getting there.
                          Last edited by teckno05; 06-20-2011, 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling nazi

Comment

Working...
                          X