Inguinal hernia advice/doctor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inguinal hernia advice/doctor recommendation

I have an Inguinal hernia and am concerned about the repair itself and my lifting ability post-surgery. While I've done research on the surgery, repair techniques, and recovery, all the info I find is geared toward people with "normal" activity levels. I don't think "normal" applies to the activity level of most people on this site.

I was hoping to hear from anyone here who has had the surgery. Maybe your experience/advice can help me chose the right doctor/technique to assure I can continue to lift heavy for many years going forward.

I'm in Cleveland, OH so it would be really awesome if anyone had a recommendation for a doctor in the area as well.

Thanks!

Also, FWIW, I can't avoid the surgery any longer. Not only am I unable to lift without extreme pain, the hernia is pushing on the nerve to my left nut and it feels like my nut is in a nut cracker 24/7. Good times!

My doctor is recommending a laparoscopic mesh repair. He says I can lift again in about 4 weeks.

Comment

I've not had the surgery, but assuming you get a skilled surgeon, the repaired area should be much stronger than before the hernia (with the mesh in place). That's especially the case with a lap surgery, as there is minimal trauma to the area to weaken it.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

I had both sides plus umbilical done laproscopic, several years back. First week was a bitch but was back at my job as a firefighter 2 weeks after surgery. I wasn't lifting at the time, but I felt, I could have worked out moderately at 2 weeks and all out within a month. My surgeon told me do what ever you feel up to, you cannot tear the repair.
        I hope your recovery goes as well as mine- good luck.
        Another note sometimes still it can flare up and be a little painful, doesn't last too long. From talking to others doesn't sound too uncommon.

Comment

Check this out for some info...

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=42836

I hope this gives you a little info. If you have any questions let me know.
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
          X