Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heat exhaustion, how can i stay hydrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat exhaustion, how can i stay hydrated?

Im dieting and doing tons of cardio at the gym, and at my job I walk a ton during the day for 8 hours im on my feet. Seems since summer started I have no legs, they are just fatigued (not from leg workout, leg press strength keeps going way up), but they fatigue during cardio and i cant get my HR up.

I just feel like crap although im drinking a TON of water.

Do i need more sodium or glycerin? What can i do to stay hydrated and not be at risk and have more energy that wont mess with my diet (calories).

I would add a bit of salt to your water first. Be careful with glycerin as it can raise your BP significantly.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

I had a track coach that swore by room temp gatorade with a 1:1 mix with water.
      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

The biggest thing I can recommend seems almost counterproductive: the more I exercise in the heat (running, working out in my garage) the less it gets to me. Of course its been high '90s everyday here since the middle of May and I may be used to it more so than you. I started using a scoop of a WMS mix with electrolyte powder to help me stay hydrated during runs at high heat, like 11:00 am today.
        Use my Discount Code JSG555 to Save 5% Off Your Order and Help A Broke College Guy Outhttp://www.truenutrition.com/

Comment

Originally posted by qbkilla View Post
          Im dieting and doing tons of cardio at the gym, and at my job I walk a ton during the day for 8 hours im on my feet. Seems since summer started I have no legs, they are just fatigued (not from leg workout, leg press strength keeps going way up), but they fatigue during cardio and i cant get my HR up.

I just feel like crap although im drinking a TON of water.

Do i need more sodium or glycerin? What can i do to stay hydrated and not be at risk and have more energy that wont mess with my diet (calories).
          How long have you been on this new regime?...

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

bump
            "Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness."
            -Richard Carlson

Comment

i would give coconut water a try.

Comment

You have to define the word "ton", and what exactly each one is.

what is a "ton" of cardio?

what is a "ton" of walking?

what is a "ton" of water?

Also how do you know you are in fact dehydrated?

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  How long have you been on this new regime?...

-S
                  For over 6 months. I had never "lost my legs" before, but it is happening. I have taken a few breaks but I do cardio 5x a week, heart rate 150-170. I think it must be the heat.

This isn't a plan i made for myself but of a well known trainer from the boards. Im getting results just wondering if the reason my legs are so beat is the heat which i think has alot to do with it, i just hit that wall once it got hot as S#it!

Comment

the cardio is 3 sessions a week right after training on elliptical, heart rate 150. then 2 more sessions during the week on the stair master, heart rate as high as i can get it.

the water is probably 3-4 gallons per day.

the walking is basically on my feet walking around parking cars for 40 hours a week. but alot of standing around too.

Comment

At 3-4 gallons per day, you may be getting hyponatremia. How much does your weight drop from PM before bed to AM when waking?...

How much sodium do you take in per day?...

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

At 3-4 gallons per day, you may be getting hyponatremia. How much does your weight drop from PM before bed to AM when waking?...

How much sodium do you take in per day?...

-S
                        hey bro thanks for the reply. when i drink that much im not forcing it or anything, just drinking when i get a little thirsty. according to my scale i weigh about 167 when i wake up dry (no clothes) and anywhere from 175-182 before i go to bed.

im on some prohormones that should make me hold water so that might have something to do with it.

as for sodium i am not sure, i doubt much, basically eat chicken, red meat, egg whites, 1 whole egg, rice, frozen green beans, 2oz of almonds,,,1 scoop of whey for my daily intake,,,in small meals of course divided up.

Comment

Originally posted by qbkilla View Post
                          hey bro thanks for the reply. when i drink that much im not forcing it or anything, just drinking when i get a little thirsty. according to my scale i weigh about 167 when i wake up dry (no clothes) and anywhere from 175-182 before i go to bed.

im on some prohormones that should make me hold water so that might have something to do with it.

as for sodium i am not sure, i doubt much, basically eat chicken, red meat, egg whites, 1 whole egg, rice, frozen green beans, 2oz of almonds,,,1 scoop of whey for my daily intake,,,in small meals of course divided up.
                          Sure!

I would continue to drink ad libitum and ad some sea salt in known amounts each day to your food for flavor and sodium, as well as other minerals / electrolytes. You could start with a gram or two of sea salt each day (whatever your palate tells you), make note of it and keep it the same for several days and see how the water intake, AM and PM bodyweight change, as well as of course the symptoms.

I wouldn't force the sodium or the water, though - just provide your body with these things and it will likely figure out how to balance your hydration levels. I'd make sure some of that sodium comes in the meal just before your cardio (just a proportional amount to the total day's consumption).

Also, if this isn't helpful, I would consider coming off the prohormone if you think that's part of the issue.

4 gallons is about 15 liters of water / day and not too from what your kidneys would typically consider a max load. Naturally you're sweating a good bit and have respiratory losses, too, but this might be around 10-12 liters of urine in say 16 hr or ~75+% of your maximum ability to excrete fluids.

1. Noakes TD, Wilson G, Gray DA, Lambert MI, and Dennis SC. Peak rates of diuresis in healthy humans during oral fluid overload. S Afr Med J 91: 852-857, 2001.

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether rates of intestinal fluid absorption and renal diuresis can match high rates of fluid ingestion in healthy humans exposed to oral fluid overload, thereby preventing the development of hyponatraemia either by reverse sodium movement across the intestine (the Priestley-Haldane effect) or by expansion of the extracellular fluid volume. METHODS: Changes in renal function and in plasma chemical measurements in response to an oral fluid overload (0.9-1.8 l/h x 3 h) were investigated in 6 healthy control subjects at rest, and in a subject with a history of exercise-induced symptomatic hyponatraemia, during both prolonged (160-minute) exercise and at rest. FINDINGS: All control subjects gained weight (2.7 +/- 0.2 kg, mean +/- standard error of mean (SEM)) because the rate of oral fluid intake exceeded the peak rate of urine production (778 +/- 39 ml/h). Blood volume rose by 7.1 (+/- 0.5)% and plasma sodium concentrations fell progressively from 144 +/- 2.6 to 136 +/- 1.1 mmol/l (P < 0.05) in the control subjects. Plasma potassium and angiotensin II concentrations were unchanged and creatinine clearance was normal (approximately 125 ml/min). Free water clearance reached a maximum of 11.2 +/- 0.9 ml/min after 2 hours. The increase in body mass could be accounted for by calculated or measured changes in extra- and intracellular fluid volumes. Similar changes were measured in the subject with a previous history of symptomatic hyponatraemia. CONCLUSION: The rate of intestinal fluid absorption appeared to match the rate of oral fluid ingestion and there was no evidence of fluid accumulation in the intestine with reverse sodium movement from the extracellular space into intestinal fluid. The results of this study are therefore at variance with the Priestley-Haldane hypothesis and suggest that reverse sodium movement did not contribute to the hyponatraemia induced by oral fluid overload in these subjects. Rather it appears that humans may have a limited capacity to excrete fluid at rates in excess of approximately 900 ml/h in response to higher rates of oral fluid intake. When the rate of intestinal fluid absorption matches the rate of fluid ingestion and exceeds the kidneys' maximum capacity for fluid excretion, the excess fluid accumulates in the extra- and intracellular fluid compartments, inducing the dilutional hyponatraemia of water intoxication. These findings may have relevance to other clinical conditions in which hyponatraemia develops in response to high rates of oral or intravenous fluid provision.

----------

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

ad libitum
                            How many people here ya think know what that means? :drum:
                            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                              How many people here ya think know what that means? :drum:
                              LOL - I just sat back down to my computer, saw that word and was thinkin', "Ya know, I ought re-phrase that because someone might not bother to google it..."

This is not directed at qbkilla at all, but it's a shame that with the extreme ease with which you can google damn near everything that there seems to be such a high likelihood that someone WOULDN'T do so and end up drinking or eating who knows how much...

Wikipedia does have it's uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_libitum#Biology

-S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                              X