Drinking and lifting, your take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and lifting, your take?

I personally drink every weekend, never get completely wasted and usually only have about 5 drinks and it's never held me back. However, a lot of bodybuilders consider alcohol to be the demon's drink that'll kill your gains quickly. What's your opinion on it? My whole attitude to drinking changed when I read these two articles:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_to_alcohol_1

I guess things would be very different if you were to be a competing bodybuilder, so I can't comment on that aspect because I've never competed and have no desire to.
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

I am the same way I never get wasted, I always get my protein in for the day, cut out some carbs and fats to create a deficit and still try to get to bed early.

Comment

Having fun in life is more important than lifting. If you're not competing and want to enjoy yourself, have a few drinks. I see no problem with it.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Can it have a negative impact on your goals? Yes.
        Is there anything wrong with having some drinks? That's up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by BC1 View Post
          Can it have a negative impact on your goals? Yes.

I think that depends on what the person's goals are.

It doesn't fit in with my goals, but I would argue that for many it doesn't have a negative impact at all.

Comment

Well if someone has issues with alcohol we should first say "STAY AWAY." Let's support their recovery.

Will alcohol in moderation hurt you? Probably not.
            International Elite Raw Powerlifter
            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Future View Post
              Well if someone has issues with alcohol we should first say "STAY AWAY." Let's support their recovery....
              Absolutely.. My apologies, I was taking that part for granted, but definitely depends on person's history with drinking etc..

Comment

No apologies necessary.
                International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

In moderation it should be fine for pretty much any goal, except for extreme definition needed for bodybuilding contests (and who knows maybe with the right diet it could even be drank on occassion). The key as stated is moderation (1 drink/day, or maybe 3-5/wk).
                  -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                  -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                  198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                  -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                  198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

i agree with the responses by everyone and I questioned the true effects of drinking on my physique and progress. I am by no means a "drinker" maybe a few beers or glasses of wine one, maybe two nights a week as a norm, but during my current blast I cut it out completely and I have not missed one lift, meaning i have progressed in either weight or reps on every exercise on every workout. Previously I would have at least one or two workouts throught a blast that would fall short of my expectations. I still go out and hang around a bunch of people that do drink, but not having alcohol has probably help me recover a little better and reduces the number of variables to take into consideration when evaluating progress. Bottom line, you have to do what makes you feel best, if you are going to regret having one more drink, then don't have it, if not, well then down the hatch it goes!
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                      Having fun in life is more important than lifting. If you're not competing and want to enjoy yourself, have a few drinks. I see no problem with it.
                      Well yeah that's always been my opinion as well.

Funny thing is, I actually remember Yates stating that a day before a competition he'd have a couple of drinks apparently for the dehydration effects it had...I cannot for the life of me find the video he said it in though but I remember it was on MD. It was a seminar he was doing in the US and he was just casually sitting on a chair and talking to a couple of guys. It kinda weirded me out because I was always under the impression that drinking pre-contest wouldn't exactly be a good idea but he seemed to think otherwise.
                      Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                        Well yeah that's always been my opinion as well.

Funny thing is, I actually remember Yates stating that a day before a competition he'd have a couple of drinks apparently for the dehydration effects it had...I cannot for the life of me find the video he said it in though but I remember it was on MD. It was a seminar he was doing in the US and he was just casually sitting on a chair and talking to a couple of guys. It kinda weirded me out because I was always under the impression that drinking pre-contest wouldn't exactly be a good idea but he seemed to think otherwise.
                        There are tons of guys at shows that will have wine pre contest for the diuretic effects.
                        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                        www.316fit.com
                        Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                          There are tons of guys at shows that will have wine pre contest for the diuretic effects.
                          I actually did this before and it worked pretty well. Just a few ounces mixed with BCAAs...
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                          X