Buying a Heart Rate Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Heart Rate Monitor

I'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor because I don't trust the machines at the gym to be accurate. I would prefer not to have to wear a chest strap, but I'm not sure if that is necessary to get an accurate reading. Any suggestions on what I should get?

Do a google search on the brand "Polar"...they have some very good ones. used one during my bike racing days...
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Polar is good, but they don't let you change out the batteries. You have to send it in for a replacement. Pain the in ass!

Go with Cardiosport. Same frequency as Polar, works with all the machines and a watch, and you can switch out the batteries when they run out - and they do... All the time.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
        Polar is good, but they don't let you change out the batteries. You have to send it in for a replacement. Pain the in ass!

Go with Cardiosport. Same frequency as Polar, works with all the machines and a watch, and you can switch out the batteries when they run out - and they do... All the time.
        Interesting you would say that about the batteries...I used mine for several years without a change of batteries...but then, that was back when you were in diapers so they were probably better back then...lol
        Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
          Interesting you would say that about the batteries...I used mine for several years without a change of batteries...but then, that was back when you were in diapers so they were probably better back then...lol
          LOL I probably was.

I've had my heart rate monitor since 07 and changed the batteries probably 3x... so I mean really not THAT often, but enough for me to hate polar if I had to send it in.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Are there any that don't require a chest strap, or is that necessary to get an accurate reading?

Comment

For it to be accurate, you want a chest strap.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Any advice on which model to get?

Comment

Good to know. Thanks.
                  International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                  Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF View Post
                    Any advice on which model to get?
                    I think that just depends on features more than anything else. I think I have the Cardiosport GO! or something. One button, press it to turn on the heart rate and that's pretty much all it tells you. It can tell you high, avg, low heart rate as well as time that the watch has been turned on... Good enough for me.

I have seen others that are complete watches + tons of hear rate features.. up to you what's important.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Thanks fade. I have been thinking about picking one up for awhile but always decided against it due to polars being very expensive. The cardiosport go is only 40 at amazon.
                      "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                        For it to be accurate, you want a chest strap.
                        ^^^^ This.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VWQS

I purchased that one recently based off a consumer reports test. Does zone monitoring, averaging and such and is pretty affordable.

Seems to work pretty well so far but I have nothing to compare it to.

Comment

My wife and I both have Polar. The watch battery we have both replaced several times. That does not need to be sent in. Not sure if there is one in the chest strap. We have had them since 05-06 or so and never had to replace that one
                            Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

Does Polar make good electronic BF calculators also? Looking to get something to track everyday, it doesnt have to be 100% accurate just consistant??

Comment

Working...
                              X