This guy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy.....

I work out at a Cardinal Fitness here in Chicago, a smallish one story place with most of the necessary equipment but only one of each for most things, like the power rack. Anyway, there's this 40-something guy thats always in there, doing his powerlifting stuff with bands, squat suits and wraps; It's definitely out of place and not only does he get looks, but he's a big yeller and grunter so he's definitely stared at a lot considering the people you get in a Cardinal Fitness. His shtick never bothered me.....until today.

Like I said, there's only one power rack, and I get to the gym at 6:00 and he's in the rack. No worries, I have pulldowns, seated rows, DB rows and upright rows before I get to my rack Deads, so something like 30-40 minutes. Anyway, it gets to 6:45 and I ask him when he'll be done, and he says "I still gotta do front squats, so maybe 30 minutes." I was like WTF, but I didn't say anything and decided to go with regular deads for that workout. I finished my workout, chatted with some guys and then hit the locker room for a bit and when I came back out it was 6:45 and dude's still in the rack, and I had to say something. I mean, shit..... ~2 hrs in the rack when there's thirty people there lifting and only one rack? Major dick move IMO. So I told him "ya know, 2 hrs in the rack is a bit excessive." He goes, "well I pay me fees so I can do whatever you want." For starters, fees are 20/month and I dunno what that has to do with anything. But then.......

He says to me, "Papi, you wouldn't be doing anything anyway." As if to say I'm too weak to warrant time in the rack. Here's the deal: This fake-ass powerlifter was maxing out at 405 on the squat, WITH A SUIT, WRAPS AND A BELT, doing one set every ten minutes. Fuck, I can squat low-mid 300's beltless, suitless and with no wraps. And this dude is 40 yrs old; I'm just 24 and have been in lifting game for ~3 years and I'm not a BB or PL. So I just laughed and called him a "fake ass powerlifter" and left it at that. I would feel bad for a guy thats been in the game as long as he has and still needs to use gear to put up a respectable squat, but the guy's a massive prick. I've never made a comment in three years at that gym but I'm not gonna wait for 2 hrs to use a piece of equipment and not say anything about it. But the deal here is that none of this makes a difference, it's just common courtesy to not take up the single rack in a gym for hours on end when there's other people waiting. He knew I was waiting, as I asked him an hour earlier how long he's got left. Some guys are just assholes.
    Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

I spend a while in the rack as well. Similar situation as you, my gym only has one. However, I offer anyone to train with me if they want.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

so you vent about it on a bbing message board?

just improvise, and ask the gym owners to put in another rack.
      2009- Muscle Mayhem 2nd place lightweights
      2009- Mo State Champ 1st place lightweights
      2010- Muscle Mayhem 9th place middleweights

next show
      2012- Mo State Championships middleweight

Official NANBF Judge

Comment

Originally posted by johngorman View Post
        so you vent about it on a bbing message board?

just improvise, and ask the gym owners to put in another rack.
        Lol, they're super cheap at my gym. The Smith broke a while back and it took em months to get it fixed. I suggested they put up a sign for a time limit(30 minutes or so?), but they already have signs for no cell phones and no weight dropping but everybody ignores those too.
        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
          Lol, they're super cheap at my gym. The Smith broke a while back and it took em months to get it fixed. I suggested they put up a sign for a time limit(30 minutes or so?), but they already have signs for no cell phones and no weight dropping but everybody ignores those too.

then find another gym, but for 20 bucks a month no wonder they take so long to fix shit that's ridiculous membership rates.
          2009- Muscle Mayhem 2nd place lightweights
          2009- Mo State Champ 1st place lightweights
          2010- Muscle Mayhem 9th place middleweights

next show
          2012- Mo State Championships middleweight

Official NANBF Judge

Comment

Originally posted by johngorman View Post
            then find another gym, but for 20 bucks a month no wonder they take so long to fix shit that's ridiculous membership rates.
            or change the time of the day or night you go.
            Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

damn i love my home gym
              Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
              -John Ceasar

Comment

My gym only has two power racks but fortunately they're usually unoccupied. I spent quite a bit of time in the rack as well sometimes...but never more than 30 minutes. ~2 hours seems ridiculous.
                Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

The gym I train at now is always empty...usually no more than 1-2 guys at the time I train. It's not huge, but it gets the job done.

Comment

I feel bad you spent all that time typing up your story.

Seriously, I don't understand how a lot of you guys get so bothered by other people at the gym. Sure it was an inconvenience but it happens. Not everyone in the world is as hardcore or knowledgable as the guys on this board. And he's right... He pays his fee so he can do whatever he wants within the rules.

Live and let live.
                    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Live and let live.
                      9.9% of the time I do. I have no problem with the guys at the gym that do retarded stuff, look stupid, etc. But in this case this guy screwed up my, and several other's, workouts, so I said something. If you had to wait 2 hrs for a piece of equipment because some idiot was doing a set every ten minutes, you wouldn't say something? I'm not much for confrontations, but when I feel like I've been wronged I'm not gonna just take it.

or change the time of the day or night you go.
                      I rarely work lift on Fri afternoon/evenings, usually the morning where it's just me and a couple others. I only bump my WO's to this time-slot once in a while.

then find another gym, but for 20 bucks a month no wonder they take so long to fix shit that's ridiculous membership rates
                      Lol, it is super cheap, but the gym isn't that huge but it also has something like 5000 members. Thank G-d no more than 10 percent of 'em probably show up.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

You think he's an idiot. Maybe I do too. But it doesn't sound like he does or that he was intentionally trying to be a jerk. So I just think that by saying something to him and especially by calling him a "fake ass powerlifter" you made yourself come across like an arrogant punk and reinforced the stereotype about bodybuilders.
                        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                          You think he's an idiot. Maybe I do too. But it doesn't sound like he does or that he was intentionally trying to be a jerk. So I just think that by saying something to him and especially by calling him a "fake ass powerlifter" you made yourself come across like an arrogant punk and reinforced the stereotype about bodybuilders.
                          For starters, he got aggressive after I mentioned that 2 hrs is excessive, and then went on to say that I wouldn't be doing anything worthwhile in the rack anyway. Someone disses me to my face and because I answer in kind I'm the arrogant punk? What?

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I have a flat opinion on this. Screw it man, I totally understand why you were upset. But It's a long way from your heart bro. I had to change gyms a lot because of these types of people. I've found a good place for now. I bet if you look you can too.
                            life is a battle at every front, training is a war I fight to win- Lee priest (I think)

Nothing great comes without sacrifice- Oscar Ardon

True Protein get the best supplements WWW.trueprotein.com
                            want a discount? enter code:WAN585 for 5% to 10% off

Comment

That's the perk of going to a commercial gym and we just have to work our ways around it.

The other day an obesed (literally) personal trainer at the gym I go to told me not to drop my weights as I was deadlifting and insist that I lower it slowly.

Commercial gyms I tell ya

Comment

Working...
                              X