Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Food Pyramid (Dinner Plate)

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...h-dinner-plate

This is now what the USDA is recommending for well portioned meals. Given that everyone here is an athlete with different goals than the average american, how do you guys feel about this new road map to a good diet.

I personally get a laugh out of my friends and co-workers' reactions when they see how much protein I put down every day.
    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

For the average person who knows very little, perfectly fine and a step in the right direction from the pyramid. It has it's bias still but generally not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
      http://health.usnews.com/health-news...h-dinner-plate

This is now what the USDA is recommending for well portioned meals. Given that everyone here is an athlete with different goals than the average american, how do you guys feel about this new road map to a good diet.

I personally get a laugh out of my friends and co-workers' reactions when they see how much protein I put down every day.

Chris
      Its really hard for me to believe that the year is 2011, and health professionals still have'nt figured this out yet. The dinner plate is a joke. Humans work better with frequent feedings such that the hunger response is initiated every 2-3 hours. We need amino acids and essential fats with every meal. Some people believe carbs should not be eaten in the same meal with fats, I disagree, I believe fats are so important they need to be eaten every meal. Protein and fat is most crucial. Next, veggies can be unlimited with each meal. Fruits, depends on the individual. Some people should eat carbs daily tapering them off as the day progresses or cycling them, others need an empty sink and need to take matters into their own hands to increase sensativity to earn their carbs. Slow burning carbs are good, not surprizing, carbs that are not processed are good for body composition.

I personally love the ckd diet. I can practically feel the GH burst after each protein/fat meal on the carb free days. Testosterone seems like its kicked up in high gear with all the fat I eat.

As far as typical americans that are not athletes, well, simply, they don't need as much "gasoline" aka carbs and should be focusing on protein and essential fats just like athletes, again, minus some gasoline aka carbs.

Comment

I prefer this:

Comment

Originally posted by IronReload 04 View Post
          Humans work better with frequent feedings such that the hunger response is initiated every 2-3 hours.
          Sources for that claim?

As to the OP... I think for the general public it's good. Simple, balanced, doesn't exclude any groups (except no more sweets :-( ). It is a huge step up from the last 2 food pyramids. I don't quite understand how it cost them 2 million dollars to come up with this concept however... (that's the number I read in an article about the new implementation).
          -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
          -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
          198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
          -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
          198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
          -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
          198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
            Sources for that claim?
            x2

I've seen studies that show the opposite, but the only thing I've ever seen saying eating more frequently is better is people spouting off bro-science on bodybuilding forums.

Comment

I can practically feel the GH burst after each protein/fat meal on the carb free days.
              I'm sorry but that just sounds ridiculous lol.
              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
                Sources for that claim?

As to the OP... I think for the general public it's good. Simple, balanced, doesn't exclude any groups (except no more sweets :-( ). It is a huge step up from the last 2 food pyramids. I don't quite understand how it cost them 2 million dollars to come up with this concept however... (that's the number I read in an article about the new implementation).
                Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                x2

I've seen studies that show the opposite, but the only thing I've ever seen saying eating more frequently is better is people spouting off bro-science on bodybuilding forums.
                Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                I'm sorry but that just sounds ridiculous lol.

Well lets see here. How about some good old fashioned deductive reasoning.

1. Every time we eat protein, we produce a thermogenic effect. I mean I don't know about you, but I would rather have that happen 6-7 times a day rather than 3-4 times a day.

2. Protein cannot be stored as protein unless its in the form of new muscle mass. I am from the school of thought due to personal experience that only so much protein can be utilized at once, and less can be better to a point. Not only that, but if I have to much protein in one sitting, it boggs down and overwhelms my digestive system leaving me feeling bloated tired and sluggish. The more I break up my protein intake over the day, the more I end up eating overall that day (pretty good if you ask me no?). I eat a minimum of 5-6 whole food protein meals a day with a shake thrown in there, often before bed. I think I had one more important point I wanted to make but it escaped me, I will come back and add it if I think of it later.

3. It seems reasonable that frequent feedings sends a strong signal of being well fed to the body. This might result in higher energy expenditure and metabolic rate. The digestive system runs cleaner and harder since its not overwhelmed by large volumes of food and knows like clock work more will be coming soon, just like a pattern. Its constantly working hard this way. My personal belief is that every time we eat, our body goes through some cycle of using dietary fuel as energy, then shifts to a higher ratio of bodyfat for fuel, then we get hunger signals. By more frequent feedings, we may perhaps spend a higher portion of the day using bodyfat as energy. Just a thought.

4. I am pretty sure it is well accepted that the higher your insulin, the lower your GH and vise versa. I am pretty sure it is well accepted that protein intake causes GH release. I don't know about you Adam, But I am a mother F'ing badass and not just a mere mortal. My genes are superhuman and I am a freakazoid, thus I feel a GH spike after each meal.....True story. LOL I would rather experience that 6-7 times a day rather than 3-4.

5. Just about every big name in the industry reccomends 5-7 meals a day, what I would consider frequent feedings. Berardi and Palumbo to name a couple, 2 insanely brilliant and well accomplimplished bodybuilders academically. Try finding a big name that reccomends less???

6. So, for my reasons listed above, and more importantly the FACT that guys like Palumbo and Berardi reccomend frequent eating, referring to frequent eating as bro science makes you sound like a bro who has never taken a science course, bro.

Comment

Well lets see here. How about some good old fashioned deductive reasoning.

1. Every time we eat protein, we produce a thermogenic effect. I mean I don't know about you, but I would rather have that happen 6-7 times a day rather than 3-4 times a day.
                  All food produces a thermogenic effects, and research has shown there is no difference in energy expenditure between many smaller meals or fewer bigger ones.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

You say he has never taken a science course, but almost all of your evidence is anecdotal.
                  Last edited by Quadriceps; 06-10-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

2. Protein cannot be stored as protein unless its in the form of new muscle mass. I am from the school of thought due to personal experience that only so much protein can be utilized at once, and less can be better to a point. Not only that, but if I have to much protein in one sitting, it boggs down and overwhelms my digestive system leaving me feeling bloated tired and sluggish. The more I break up my protein intake over the day, the more I end up eating overall that day (pretty good if you ask me no?). I eat a minimum of 5-6 whole food protein meals a day with a shake thrown in there, often before bed. I think I had one more important point I wanted to make but it escaped me, I will come back and add it if I think of it later.
                    What about connective tissue? It is a protein (collagen) but is not considered muscle mass.
                    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

4. I am pretty sure it is well accepted that the higher your insulin, the lower your GH and vise versa. I am pretty sure it is well accepted that protein intake causes GH release. I don't know about you Adam, But I am a mother F'ing badass and not just a mere mortal. My genes are superhuman and I am a freakazoid, thus I feel a GH spike after each meal.....True story. LOL I would rather experience that 6-7 times a day rather than 3-4.

5. Just about every big name in the industry reccomends 5-7 meals a day, what I would consider frequent feedings. Berardi and Palumbo to name a couple, 2 insanely brilliant and well accomplimplished bodybuilders academically. Try finding a big name that reccomends less???

6. So, for my reasons listed above, and more importantly the FACT that guys like Palumbo and Berardi reccomend frequent eating, referring to frequent eating as bro science makes you sound like a bro who has never taken a science course, bro.
                      Wow at the bold statement.

BTW, I am not 100% sure that Berardi has ever done a bodybuilding show.

I think it is important to understand the definition of sources vs. opinion & conjecture.
                      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                        All food produces a thermogenic effects, and research has shown there is no difference in energy expenditure between many smaller meals or fewer bigger ones.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

You say he has never taken a science course, but almost all of your evidence is anecdotal.
                        Might there be a varying nurient partitioning effect with varying meal frequency? Might there be a varying hormonal response with varying meal frequency?
                        Last edited by IronReload 04; 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                          What about connective tissue? It is a protein (collagen) but is not considered muscle mass.

What similarities does it have to adipose tissue and glycogen as far as storage is concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                            Wow at the bold statement.

BTW, I am not 100% sure that Berardi has ever done a bodybuilding show.

I think it is important to understand the definition of sources vs. opinion & conjecture.
                            http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi.htm

You can now be 100% certain Berardi was a bodybuilding champion.

Berardi is a PHd, a bodybuilding champion, and has an excellent reputation with numerous clients.

palumbo made it to med school (not an easy accomplishment), and left when he ultiamtely realized he could make more money doing something else (not an easy accomplishment. He accomplished great things in bodybuilding and has an excellent reputation with numerous clients.

ie THERE VIEWS MATTER

Comment

The dinner plate is fine. I think a Zone or Paleo diet is more suited for most.

FYI, I eat 4 times a day not including pwo meals.
                              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X