Lateral Raises on lower day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Raises on lower day?

Hey guys, I have never done lateral raises before and it shows...I have strong rear/front delts, but the sides are really lacking. My upper body day is getting too crowded and I am not sure I want to stick them there..

Here is my routine.

Upper ("/" means I rotate every other time)
    Chest: BB Incline/DB Flat : 2 sets
    Shoulders: Seated DB/Seated BB: 2 sets
    Vertical Pull: Chins / Neutral pulls: 2 sets
    Horizontal Pull: Pendlays / DB Rows: 2 sets
    Triceps: Skulls: 1 set
    Biceps: Incline DB Bench: 1 set

Lower
    Quads: Squats/Leg Press/DB Walking Lunges. Squats/Press are 1 heavy, 1 widow. Walking Lunges are 2 straight.
    Hams: Lying Leg Curls/ Lying Leg Curls/ Deadlifts. Leg curls are 3 sets RPed. Deads are 1 heavy, 1 10-12 reps.
    Calves: Seated/Standing/Seated. DC Style
    Abs: Ab Roller generally. 3 sets of 15-20.

On a 3 way rotation with some movements on lower day to spare my lower back. Basically goes deads, leg press, squat for the heavy movement rotation.

I used to have biceps on my lower body day at 2 sets...but I saw zero gains, so I moved that movement to upper day at only 1 set. So now my upper day is a little overly packed vs lower....

I really want to mix lateral raises in, but I am not sure where. My three ideas were:

1) Just add 1 set of lateral raises to upper body day.
    2) Take away 1 shoulder press set and add 1 lateral raise set.
    3) Add 2 sets of lateral raises to lower body day.

Right now I am on an every other day routine and have been making nice gains, so I really don't want to mess with it too much. Which is kind of leading me to option number 2. But I wanted to hear your advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM.

My initial thought was substitute side laterals for one of the pressing movements since you say your front and rear delts are strong points.... If they start to visibly suffer, then you could always switch back and go with another option.

Comment

Originally posted by O.G. Pimpin View Post
      My initial thought was substitute side laterals for one of the pressing movements since you say your front and rear delts are strong points.... If they start to visibly suffer, then you could always switch back and go with another option.
      I did just stall on seated BB press...but I was going to give it another chance before I dropped it. Seated DB is still progressing. So you are saying replace one of them with lateral raises completely? Not a bad idea!

I could pair BB Incline (since incline has more front delt than flat) with the laterals...and DB flat with DB Seated.

Comment

How about rep range for the laterals? For DBs, I have been using the 10-14 rep range. Been using 8-12 for BB.

Comment

Just keep the presses in an do a single set (rest paused or just straight set, your choice) of machine laterals, cable laterals or wide grip upright rows after your press.
          Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Working...
          X