Alternating training volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternating training volume

Next week i'll be back on my regular bodybuilding split 5 days/week training each body part once ,except for calves and abs.
    The last time i trained like this i really felt that i was overt-raining ,both physically and mentally.The soreness in my muscles lasts forever ,especially in my thighs it usually takes me 5-6 days to recuperate and the first 2-3 days the pain was brutal.I was training both high volume and heavy ,literally killing myself with 16-18sets for back/chest 12-4 for arms 15 for delts and around 18 for quads.
    This time i was thinking about alternating low and high volume for 2 weeks each.
    Something like 2 weeks low volume 4-8 reps very heavy compound movements only 10sets for chest/back/thighs 6-7 for arms/delts then switch it up for 2 weeks high volume when i'll do higher reps 10-15 ,more sets like 16 sets for chest/back/thighs and 12 for arms and delts and add some drop sets/super sets ,etc.
    How do you think guys will it work for keeping my sanity and ability for better recovery.Currently dieting out.

Never done it myslef, but have read about others doing it each week, high volume week/low volume week etc.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorizon View Post
      Next week i'll be back on my regular bodybuilding split 5 days/week training each body part once ,except for calves and abs.
      The last time i trained like this i really felt that i was overt-raining ,both physically and mentally.The soreness in my muscles lasts forever ,especially in my thighs it usually takes me 5-6 days to recuperate and the first 2-3 days the pain was brutal.I was training both high volume and heavy ,literally killing myself with 16-18sets for back/chest 12-4 for arms 15 for delts and around 18 for quads.
      This time i was thinking about alternating low and high volume for 2 weeks each.
      Something like 2 weeks low volume 4-8 reps very heavy compound movements only 10sets for chest/back/thighs 6-7 for arms/delts then switch it up for 2 weeks high volume when i'll do higher reps 10-15 ,more sets like 16 sets for chest/back/thighs and 12 for arms and delts and add some drop sets/super sets ,etc.
      How do you think guys will it work for keeping my sanity and ability for better recovery.Currently dieting out.
      sounds like you are running mesocycles? im no expert but i see nothing wrong with cycling lower volume with higher volume i think its called periodization? when running with the volume i would cut back the intensity and then build it back up towards the end of the volume cycle. same with the low volume cycle that way you have acclimation phase with the volume then a small deload when you cut volume then ramp the intensity up again towards a peak on the low volume/high intensity. of course these ideads arent anything new start a journal on here if you dont have one and see how it works for you just be smart/logical with how you set it up
      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
      -John Ceasar

Comment

Mountaindog training by John Meadows does exactly that, you can check out his articles.

Comment

If I were you I would just take note of my total sets each workout, do that for 2-4 weeks, then switch to about half as much volume, but using lower rep ranges to push more weight for about 2-4 weeks, then switch back, etc etc.

I have also seen guys that like to do high volume one session, than the next session they hit that part, do lower volume, and then the next higher volume, and then the lower etc.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
          -1st SuperHeavy Gi
          2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
          -1st Heavyweight Gi
          2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
          2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

I used a heavy/light push/pull thing 4x a week for a while, works pretty well. Though I still prefer upper/lower splits when I'm training 4x a week.
            Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

something ive been toying with and i like it...

A compound exercise RP'd
              followed by the so called fst-7 isolation exercise or sometimes another compound 7 sets 8-12 with 1 min rest between the sets I play with the weights depending how i feel but always try and get at least 8 reps on the 7 sets.

and for back alt each workout with 2 width exercises 1 thickness, then the next time 2 thickness one width

the schedule i try to keep is 5 days weight 2 day off being Friday and Sunday.
              If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
              :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
              Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Working...
              X