Food Poisoning. Stomach not the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Poisoning. Stomach not the same

Hey guys. So back around New Years a group of friends and I cooked up some tuna that a girl caught off the Keys. We cooked a few filets very rare. It was more of a light sear than anything. My friend, lets call him bob, and I both eat the rare filets. About 12 hours later and about 24 for me, we both got terribly sick. It was cold shakes, the runs, loss of appetite for about 48 hours. I lost nearly ten pounds cuz my body tends to eat itself if Im not shoveling down food.
    After this I recover and so does Bob. Only thing is, my stomach hasnt been the same since. I used to be able to down 6 raw eggs for breakfast every day. I couldn't eat the cheap eggs raw anymore, but a higher end brand sat fine. However since getting sick, I haven't been able to eat any raw eggs. I get sick about 2 hours later. Even more worrisome is that every time I get hungry, my stomach feels terrible like when I got food poisoning back in January.

I was wondering if you guys or gals knew of any reason this could be happening or if you knew of ways I could make my stomach more bulletproof. I'm planning on doing a heckman flush next week to see if that helps.
    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

You could have anything from an ulcer to a parasite. I would head to the doctor personally. If its been 5 months, it is unlikely it will clear up on its own anytime soon.
    2008 DC Journal
    Use the code ECH436 at the checkout www.TrueProtein.com and save

Comment

Originally posted by kroxic View Post
      You could have anything from an ulcer to a parasite. I would head to the doctor personally. If its been 5 months, it is unlikely it will clear up on its own anytime soon.
      I agree....I went to Cancun for my honeymoon back in October of 1998, and while there picked up something terrible. Not diarrhea, but very strange b/m's and stomach cramping. This lasted for about 5 months as well. I was tested for a parasite, bacteria, you name it. Even had a colonoscopy to rule out any types of colon/rectal cancers....Very scary to say the least. Had an upper GI done with the ink and xray and all that, to no avail. Then finally, after losing almost 25lbs and ZERO answers, I decided to start eating right and get back in the gym, and within two weeks all was normal. To this day we have no idea what it was, but I am assuming it was a bacteria of some sort, and it just ran its course. If I were you, I would get checked out, cause you really have no clue what it could be or not be unless you do.....
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Kroxic: Yeh you're right. I just hate to the amount of time necessary to go see a doc. I'm not one of those doctor haters or anything. I have quite a few docs in my family and friends.

Steel: I almost completely forgot that I did about the same thing as you. I went to Cancun recently and completely forgot my travel sense. I ate all the fruit and drank all the tap water and had ice in my drinks. Sure enough I was sick as a dog the second day. So you never figured it out? Thats my biggest worry. I don't want to go to the doc and run the full field of tests and get no answers. I don't wanna waste my money like that.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
          Kroxic: Yeh you're right. I just hate to the amount of time necessary to go see a doc. I'm not one of those doctor haters or anything. I have quite a few docs in my family and friends.

Steel: I almost completely forgot that I did about the same thing as you. I went to Cancun recently and completely forgot my travel sense. I ate all the fruit and drank all the tap water and had ice in my drinks. Sure enough I was sick as a dog the second day. So you never figured it out? Thats my biggest worry. I don't want to go to the doc and run the full field of tests and get no answers. I don't wanna waste my money like that.
          Well, the only thing I can think of was the ice in the drinks, although it was posted that the ice was made of purified water. I really didn't think about what I ate, but my wife was eating and drinking the same as me and she had no problems. As far as wasting the money, I had very good insurance at the time so it was pretty much all covered except for co-pays...It did suck never really figuring it out....I probably have a 7' worm in my stomach right now....lol
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

wow. I wonder if we stayed at the same place. Everyone in our party got sick except for one person. Everyone ate and drank the same things. Imagine how much more gains you could be making if the worm wasn't in there eating all your protein. Im going to check with the clinic this week to see if theres any ways to bypass any unnecessary steps with my testing. A doctor friend of mine rules out a virus as that should've passed by now. On to bacteria and parasites...

Comment

Sounds like ciguatera poisoning to me. Ciguatera is a toxin that works its way up the food chain near coral reefs. This is why you typically don't want to eat apex predators like barracuda or grouper caught near a live reef. I actually got the same thing from eating tuna caught in the caribbean.

Not sure why you haven't fully recovered yet, though. As I recall my stomach was back to normal within a week or so, but then maybe I didn't get it as bad as you. Could be that the episode upset disturbed the normal microbial communities in your gut. Perhaps some probiotics might help?

Comment

^ what he said.

large dose probiotics ( 25 billion plus per day ) work wonders on stomach issues for me. and digestive enzymes or digestive aids like what massive g outlined in "eating the protein" and other threads in addition have restored my digestion/appetite on numerous occasions.

I'd still go to the doctor though. Parasites are f*in scary

Comment

^ As holder of a biology degree with a strong interest in marine biology, Im ashamed that I didn't think of that possibility. Do you two have any probiotics that you'd recommend from personal experience?

Comment

To be honest I usually just hunt around the GNC's for some to go on a close dated sale and stock up. I despise buying anything from GNC but they are one of the few that carry high dosages like that. I never seem to find it in Vitamin Shoppe.

Renewlife and GardenofLife make great probiotics if you don't mind the price. Of course, it sounds like you're pretty fucked up so 30 bucks might not bother you!

Whole foods has a good selection but you may have to sell organs on the black market to justify the price.

Comment

Ditto for me. I usually just go with GNC's. Too bad TrueProtein doesn't have one...

Comment

Working...
                      X