Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

overhead press help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • overhead press help

    what assistance exercise would be recomended to help with bottom of an overhead press?....
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

  • #2
    Lots of tricep work. My experience with strict pressing has been that the first portion of the movement (the sticky zone for a lot of people) is very dependent on tricep strength. This is also an interesting article:

    http://xtort.net/increasing-your-press/

    Though I don't agree with Kubik's ab work choices (except the recommendation of the ab wheel)
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

    Comment


    • #3
      http://xtort.net/increasing-your-press/


      I'd definately agree with number 9 in this article...

      Heavy dumbell's are hard to balance, and that's exactly why they improve it. Also, you get an extra range of motion in the bottom position that you don't get with a barbell...

      Comment


      • #4
        You prolly just need to bring your grip in a little. That will allow more shove from the bottom, and protect your shoulders better over time. The only real assistance exercises for the press are rotating between different presses, and accepting they progress very slowly.
        Last edited by RedSkull; 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM.
        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

        Comment


        • #5
          very slow. probally the slowest for me. thanks for the replies. im gonna add seated dmbl presses as well as bring my grip in .....ive tried the grip before but may have gave up to quick
          Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
          -John Ceasar

          Comment


          • #6
            are you doing them standing/seated?
            PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

            Comment


            • #7
              I really like using seated see saw db shoulder presses as a shoulder accessory. It allows for a wide ROM like you guys were talking about and allows for greater time under tension and an isometric phase (not necessarily useful for the first phase, but helps at lockout)
              M.S., B.S., B.A., CSCS, USAW

              "There is no substitute for strength, and no excuse for the lack of it"

              "Two pains in life: pain of hard work and pain of regret"

              Comment


              • #8
                Dumbell press and floor presses really brought up my pressing power. Also lat work, lat work and more alt work. I great suggestion I can make is doing a set of 3-10 medium grip pullups after every pressing set. really improved my over pressing power fast.
                " Tears will get you sympathy. Sweat will get you results."

                "Losers always whine about their "best"! Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                  are you doing them standing/seated?
                  standing

                  Originally posted by sinister_TES View Post
                  Dumbell press and floor presses really brought up my pressing power. Also lat work, lat work and more alt work. I great suggestion I can make is doing a set of 3-10 medium grip pullups after every pressing set. really improved my over pressing power fast.
                  i do med grip chins, maybe i just need to be patient but damn doesnt seem like my ohp wants to move:violin:
                  Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                  -John Ceasar

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lhart6272 View Post
                    i do med grip chins, maybe i just need to be patient but damn doesnt seem like my ohp wants to move:violin:
                    Have you put on any bodyweight? my lifts only start to move when the dial on my scale goes up
                    " Tears will get you sympathy. Sweat will get you results."

                    "Losers always whine about their "best"! Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sinister_TES View Post
                      Have you put on any bodyweight? my lifts only start to move when the dial on my scale goes up
                      yes probally 10 lbs over the past year and my ohp has progressed some as well.just doesnt seem to have moved up at the same pace deadlifts or my other lifts have. ive include seated dmbl overhead presses on bench day(currently running 531 three days a week) and dont like how they feel nor the weight im reduced to using but will try to give those at least 4 weeks.
                      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                      -John Ceasar

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        if you aren't already, doing all your reps from a dead stop will help that bottom part. Make sure they are dead too, if you watch a few videos on youtube people will kinda raise it an inch then lower and start the rep getting a little stretch reflex going. True dead reps are hard and definitely help that bottom part. I can usually do 3-4 more reps with the same weight "touch and go" after doing that style for a while too.
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                          if you aren't already, doing all your reps from a dead stop will help that bottom part. Make sure they are dead too, if you watch a few videos on youtube people will kinda raise it an inch then lower and start the rep getting a little stretch reflex going. True dead reps are hard and definitely help that bottom part. I can usually do 3-4 more reps with the same weight "touch and go" after doing that style for a while too.
                          ill pay attention to exactly how i do it tommarrow thanks
                          Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                          -John Ceasar

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Try it from the safety pins. As RS suggested. This assures a "dead stop/start"
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

                            - Success is the best revenge

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                              Try it from the safety pins. As RS suggested. This assures a "dead stop/start"
                              may try that have done it before seated as tricep builder they suck
                              Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                              -John Ceasar

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X