Training Experiment #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Experiment #1

Recently I got my squat up to 475, but I seemed to stall. After some observations with my coach we came to the conclusion that I needed my abdominal, glute, and lower back strength. I also decided that it wouldn't hurt to get a tune up on my form. So I enlisted the help of Shawn Nutter, pro power lifter with a 900 lb squat in competition, and a 1000 lb squat in training. Shawn had also trained with Westside Barbell for several years. Suffice it to say, the guy knows his stuff. Anyhow here is the story about what made me think of doing something different in my training:

Shawn worked with me on form utilizing the Box Squat. He also mentioned that there are a few pro bodybuilders using this exercise as well. I've only used this move sporadically during strength phases of training, but after learning a few tweaks to my form I can see that this move would be beneficial. They day after the training session my lower quads were sore. He recommended doing box squat for two weeks, the regular squat the next week, and then leg press for the next week (in order to give the body a break from the pressure of a bar on your back). So here is the experiment:

My workout consists of 6 days of training with two different workouts for each body part. So the first workout for legs will be box squats or squats, the second will be front squats or leg press. Now I know this isn't anything revolutionary, but here is the difference. That first workout is to be done with high reps, 3 sets of 20-30. I will be very interested to see if this makes a difference in development. Watch my journal for results and if you try to use the box squat for bodybuilding let me know how it goes.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

I am interested and will try box squats in my next blast with a similar set-up :-)
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Cool, let me know.

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I'm still at it, but I am doing lower reps. The base of my routine alternates between pyramiding box squats and regular in the following manner:

x12,10,8,6,4-6,15

Like I said I really like this exercise and now that I'm back to using heavy weights I'm excited to see the difference.

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
        X