Please critique my diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please critique my diet

Hey guys, Just thought it might be a good idea to post this up to see if you guys think this looks good or not.

I recently bulked up from around 165 to 183 in the space of about 4 months but I did it in a pretty sloppy way (I was on the seefood diet... see food... eat it). I felt like a lot of the gain was fat but obviously I had also gained a nice amount of LBM too.

For the past few weeks I've just eaten amounts that I chose to and not force fed myself (but still kept protein high) and I've dropped to about 178/179lbs and most of this drop in weight looks to be fat as I seem noticeably leaner.

I have decided that I'd love to be around 190lbs sub 10% bodyfat as I think at 5ft 7" this would be a pretty decent condition to be in. Here's the diet that I hope will help me achieve this (see if you think it looks like it might too...);

9am

5 whole eggs, 50g protein, 25ml EVOO with 200ml water

Breakfast (10am)

2 oatso simple sachets (70g oats, 360ml milk)
    Cup of Green Tea

Snack (Noon)

250ml water, 50g protein, 2 TBS peanut butter, 25ml EVOO

Dinner (2pm)

200g Chicken, half pepper and handful spinach
    Cup of Green Tea
    50g whole wheat pasta

Pre-Training (5pm)

300ml water, 50g Malto dextrin, 50g protein
    Creatine supp

Post Training (7pm)

300ml water, 50g kids breakfast cereal, 50g protein

Tea (7:30pm)

200g Chicken, half pepper and handful spinach
    300ml water, 50g protein
    Cup of Green Tea

Bedtime Snack (~10pm)

300g cottage cheese
    5 whole eggs with 200ml water

As you can see, it's fairly high protein and low carbs with a sort of a carb-cut off at about 7pm.

Notes;

I'll be doing 20 mins cardio 3x a week in the morning with a KB
    I resistance train 3x per week

Just thought I'd add, when I'm not training I'll just be adding in another solid meal at 5pm instead of the pre and post workout shakes. Perhaps look into getting some lean burgers.

Comment

so youre wanting to be 190 and sub 10%, and you are in the upper 170's now? and you are over 10% right now or no?
      2009- Muscle Mayhem 2nd place lightweights
      2009- Mo State Champ 1st place lightweights
      2010- Muscle Mayhem 9th place middleweights

next show
      2012- Mo State Championships middleweight

Official NANBF Judge

Comment

Is that all the water you drink each day? You definitely need to drink more. Its good that your being precise about your water intake, you just need more than that. Shoot for a gallon minimum.
        It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Why eat at 9 AM and then again at 10 AM. Why not merge it into one big breakfast?

Comment

I think you have the right idea, but I don't understand off the top of my head your measurements, just because of your units that is.
            I don't personally believe that everyone HAS to drink a gallon of water. I think everyone is different as an individual. YOU might need 1.5, or .8. I think you should certainly drink when you are thirsty, drink a fair amount during training, and other than that, aim to have clear urine.

Recomping is hard to do,but it can be done. I would start out with maintenance calories(rule of thumb is 15 cal per lb, so about 26 or 2700. Shoot for 1 to 1.5g protein per lb so if I were you I would try to get around 250g. Get most of your carbs pre and post workout and use your carb cutoff at night. You have the right idea with a protein fat meal first.
            I like your use of PB and EVOO, but I don't think you need both at the same time, and make sure you are using NATURAL peanut butter. Use the EVOO to cook with and maybe have a green salad at night with a table spoon as dressing with some vinegar.
            See where that gets you after a couple weeks and adjust.
            Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

OOPs I see now that you actually want to gain UP TO 190. What's your BF at right now? If you are close to where you want to be in terms of BF% you could up your cals from what I said above to around 3200. Keep protein the same and up your carbs. I would still keep the first meal pro/fat to help keep bodyfat down, and make sure you do your morning cardio.
              Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

John- That's correct. I know that it'll definitely be a marathon and not a sprint.

Jeff- When I have a cup of green tea I have it in a pint (568ml) measure, i'll probably be getting pretty close to 1 gallon of water a day. I'll also be sipping water during workouts too, thanks.

Quad- I've seen from doing various bits of research that a pro/fat meal after morning cardio is a good idea so that is why.

Muscle- I think I'll be on about 3200kcal with this diet, I've been doing it for 3 days now and already look a little leaner. This diet is around 270g of protein. I've noted your carb advice and i'm fairly sure that this is already happening, thanks. Green salad at night sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

It's really hard to critique your diet without knowing your body. The best advice I have is to follow it, see how you respond and make changes accordingly. If you gain too much fat from it, I'd look at making some or all of the following changes and/or adding more cardio.

Drop the pasta... I think wheat's no good. Replace it with brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, etc.

I think Maltodextrin's useless. Ever tried Waxy Maize?

Drop the breakfast cereal. Nothing good about those.

I think dairy's terrible, so I'm not a big fan of the cottage cheese.
                  Save 5% at www.truenutrition.com with the Discount Code TEI736!

Comment

the timing of some of your food sources and macro sources seems a bit off. also the majority of your protein is coming from powders, which I wouldn't recommend.

m1 - the first meal id probably lose the powder and sub in egg whites or another meat source, and I don't see any point of splitting up your meals add in the carb source, lose the milk for dairy cutting purposes.

dinner - i don't see any fat source, unless you didn't specify

lose the maltrodexin and kids cereal.

7:30 - fat source? lose the powder, eat more meat

drink more water/green tea + more veggies

all in all it doesn't look too bad, just needs some fine tuning for sure.

Comment

Eggwhites-

Noted on the pasta front, I just got some sweet potato in so I'll use that instead.

Malto seems to do okay for me, using it to good effect for about 6 months pre training.

On the breakfast cereal point I saw that in Skips 'Longevity' DVD that he rates kids breakfast cereal as pretty much a top post workout carb source, I will only have it 15/20 mins after a workout, not at other times.

I'll drop the cottage cheese. I would like a good source of casein protein before bed though (not powder), any ideas?

Thanks.

Slater-

I'll try to sub out at least 1 shake for a solid food source, maybe lean beef.

I would like to keep the first eats of the day pro/fat as I've seen that this is a good way to help stay lean (especially after fasted cardio in the AM). On the egg white note, I already have 5 eggs in that shake, maybe i'll just drop the powder all together.

Dinner, I don't want a fat source, this is a pro/carb meal for me man.

See above replies on malto and cereal.

7:30, again, this is pro/carb, not pro/fat. I'll definitely drop the powder and up it to ~350g of chicken though.

Noted on hydration and veggies, will do.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes Base it is very difficult to critics on your diet without knowing your body. I think slater is quite right and you should go with his opinion.
                        chicago boot camp

Comment

Originally posted by eggwhites View Post
                          It's really hard to critique your diet without knowing your body. The best advice I have is to follow it, see how you respond and make changes accordingly. If you gain too much fat from it, I'd look at making some or all of the following changes and/or adding more cardio.

Drop the pasta... I think wheat's no good. Replace it with brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, etc.

I think Maltodextrin's useless. Ever tried Waxy Maize?

Drop the breakfast cereal. Nothing good about those.

I think dairy's terrible, so I'm not a big fan of the cottage cheese
                          why? what are you basing this off of?
                          2009- Muscle Mayhem 2nd place lightweights
                          2009- Mo State Champ 1st place lightweights
                          2010- Muscle Mayhem 9th place middleweights

next show
                          2012- Mo State Championships middleweight

Official NANBF Judge

Comment

Working...
                          X