Thanks to homon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to homon!

I awhile back Scott posted saying that I should try slowing down my workouts. Taking an extra few minutes between exercises and thinking about the working sets coming up.
    I've never really had a workout partner so all these years I've been just rushing through assuming that was how to do it.
    Well, I took his advice, and I have to say my strength is going up and the workouts are 100% better! It's amazing how just a small piece of advice can make all the difference. Thanks Mr. Homon!
    If it's not fun, don't do it

Originally posted by jmhester1956 View Post
    I awhile back Scott posted saying that I should try slowing down my workouts. Taking an extra few minutes between exercises and thinking about the working sets coming up.
    I've never really had a workout partner so all these years I've been just rushing through assuming that was how to do it.
    Well, I took his advice, and I have to say my strength is going up and the workouts are 100% better! It's amazing how just a small piece of advice can make all the difference. Thanks Mr. Homon!
    You're welcome, JM!

I heard from another member via PM who did the same thing and was really happy about the effects on performance it was having during his workouts. I can't recall the thread, but I think it was Learning DC who first pointed out that when you're really pushing the limits on each ane every workset (as is the design during a DC blast), you've got to take that time get set yourself up mentally or you're toast.

If you want to bump that thread and note this, that would make it even better resource for someone searching around the topic of workout length in the future... (Thanks, JM.)

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Just to chime in here,

I also took Homonunculous up on his advice and thanked him via a PM. I chose not to post at the time as i wanted to but in a few more workouts in which i consciously put more effort into mental preparation throughout warm-up and especially in the rest period right before that top set.

I am not yet advanced enough for full DC training however i do utilize some rest pause work as well as the DC stretching and other techniques that Dante has talked about as i feel they are incredibly effective for me.

That being said, i use Jim Wendler's loading parameters and progression for the 4 big lifts but have never been able to fully use the "2 reps left in the tank" method. The top set for me on every day is a battle with the log and my-self to destroy the set and walk away from the exercise knowing if i am able to beat that some how, some way ill be a step closer to my goals.

In every single workout since reading Homon's advice i have seen it as an invaluable tool not only for upping intensity, but also even more importantly for increasing safety. One thing i spend some of that mental prep time on is reviewing the necessary form points in my head and making sure im 100% ready to do the work set right.

Case in point, on my last squat workout i had 10lbs more on the bar, and i hit an additional 4 reps over the previous cycle. Every single rep had better form and ideal depth and left my lower back (a previous injury) feeling 100%. I cant thank you enough Homon for the advice you provide.

Also for those who are interested the thread to which he is referring has recently been bumped and can be found here:
      http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...378#post870378

Comment

Working...
      X