3.5ish years progress pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5ish years progress pictures

I always really appriciate these kinda things when people post them up, and I stopped by my family's house tonight and used the computer to find some old pictures still hanging around.

Thought I'd post em up...like I said, I always love seeing transformations over long periods of time.

First two are from (and this is the best guess I have, as these weren't labeled or anything) either mid-late 2007 at around 170-175lbs, and the last two are from this past prep at around 220lbs.

First two shots were form right after I decided to give bodybuilding a go and dieted my ass down from a soft as hell 220lbs, all the way down to around 170ishlbs before eventually competing in 2008 at 175. I got up to 220 by the end of highschool, after lifting since I was about 15 or so, and eating anything they put in front of me. Knew nothing of nutrition, and when I began dieting down for bodybuilding purposes, I didn't know much more. I pieced together a diet for myself from reading. It was basically a keto diet, old school Vince Gironda style...it was hell, it was the worst experience of my life dieting down like that, but I stuck to the diet all the way to the end, suffered, grew from it, and learned a shit ton.

Still a work in progress of course, but here are the shots. Photobucket pics are the recent ones.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_0552-1.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_0549-1.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lock it Up; 04-07-2011, 01:37 AM.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Those extra 50 lbs sure are proof of a job well done, man. Great work!

Comment

You call that progress!!!!!! hahaha JK. Awesome job lock! Just wait till you get on stage next time and are going to be comparing this show to next in exactly the same fashion. 220 to 250ish. Yeah Buddy!

Comment

Great progress man! How old are you?
        Save 5% at www.truenutrition.com with the Discount Code TEI736!

Comment

Great progress man. Huge huge difference.
          TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

You def started out slender, just like I did....great job bro....you got alot of time and alot of room on that frame....I have no doubt you are gonna be very big in time....it all depends on how far you wanna push it....now get after it kid!!
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel7908 View Post
              Those extra 50 lbs sure are proof of a job well done, man. Great work!
              Originally posted by stack3d View Post
              You call that progress!!!!!! hahaha JK. Awesome job lock! Just wait till you get on stage next time and are going to be comparing this show to next in exactly the same fashion. 220 to 250ish. Yeah Buddy!
              Thanks guys!

Originally posted by eggwhites View Post
              Great progress man! How old are you?
              Thanks. I turned 22 in January.

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
              Great progress man. Huge huge difference.
              Thanks a lot, man! I couldn't really believe it was me in the before pics, that's always a good thing!

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
              You def started out slender, just like I did....great job bro....you got alot of time and alot of room on that frame....I have no doubt you are gonna be very big in time....it all depends on how far you wanna push it....now get after it kid!!
              Well yep, I started slender, but got there form being pretty overweight before I discovered the weights. Got my ass down to a lean bodyfat, and then just went from there.

Oh, and trust me, I am gonna push it. Consider this my own "project superheavyweight" :peace:
              Last edited by Lock it Up; 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
              -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

[QUOTE=
                Oh, and trust me, I am gonna push it. Consider this my own "project superheavyweight" :peace:[/QUOTE]

NOW you've got me interested...
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Excellent, keep it up.
                  Stimulation through annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                    NOW you've got me interested...
                    Just be sure to keep up with my journal

Originally posted by hellbilly View Post
                    Excellent, keep it up.
                    Thanks, and of course...never satisfied.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                    -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Lock, question.

How has your style of diet changed since beginning? You alluded to it, and I've read your dieting journal from that past few months ago.

But in general, how has your approach changed? I'm 22 now as well, and looking back, when I graduated high school, I had no IDEA how much food it would take to get where I wanted.
                      TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

God damn! You've exploded man! Your legs got some major size-boosting!
                        How is your leg strength from 3.5 years ago and now?

Comment

Serious work Lock, congrats dude!

Now I am nervous as to how much I need to drop from a soft 220lbs to get lean lol.

I thought 200lbs would do it but 170/175lbs...Yikes!
                          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by NutsNBolts View Post
                            This.

Im interested in how much your lifts blew up along with getting as big as you are.

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
                              Lock, question.

How has your style of diet changed since beginning? You alluded to it, and I've read your dieting journal from that past few months ago.

But in general, how has your approach changed? I'm 22 now as well, and looking back, when I graduated high school, I had no IDEA how much food it would take to get where I wanted.
                              Well, when I first got into lifting, I just knew from what I gathered from my step dad who was a competitive BB'er in his day, and from what I read from books he gave me. He just basically told me (and this was when I wanted to lose weight, at about 15 years old) to just eat more meat and eggs, meat and eggs...so I did. However, I wasn't eating anything to structured. I just basically ate meat after lifting, and the rest of the day I just tried to eat "healthy". That got me going. Still was eating junk though.

Fast forward, and I was a lanky ass kid at 6'1'' or so in high school...I knew I needed to gain weight. So, I basiaclly just started talking to the older, bigger dudes in my gym I started going to whwen I was 17. They basically just said "Kid, stuff your face, lift heavy, and drink tons of milk...take a vitamin too" LOL. I did just that. I ate anything I could get my hands on...lots of peanut butter and milk, lots of hamburger. I made my mom promise to always have at least a gallon of milk in the house just for me...she did, god I love her. Still, I wasn't eating a structured plan. Had no clue of macro's or anyhting like that. I ate whatever my family had for dinner if they made it that night, mcdonalds, whatever. The guys at the gym did give me great advice and pointed me towards madcow's 5x5...stuck to that shit for like 2 years. Progress was slow, but steady. I did everything that primer said. EVERYTHING. KFC runs, milk, burgers, whatever. I was all just about getting calories in.

Mind you during this time, I was nearing the end of highschool, and was partying a lot...just a normal kid who ate tons of food and lifted.

Fast forward more, I get into college. This is when I really started getting into the sport more. My roomate had done a few shows, but knew shit about anything, just what people told him to do. (He's a mutant genetically, and would grow from looking at a weight, could eat pizza every meal and always have abs, was always strong, etc.) I started just reading more and more and more and with an unlimited meal plan at my Schools cafteria (which was literally on the basement level of the building...I lived on floor two. I could roll outta bed at 3 am and go get burgers if I wanted, LOL). I started learning more about when to eat what, timing and stuff like that, a ltitle about supps ETC.

MIND YOU, my first semester in college I was partying 2-3 nights a week, HEAVILY just like any other kid. This definitely halted progress.

Second semester of freshman year rolls around, and my roomate tells me it's time for him to start dieting for his show season (he had been competing since about 10th grade in high school), and that he thought I should do it with him "It will be cool". I said, fuck it, I know I am getting fat (getting bigger yes, but fat) and that I would do the show with him. I pieced together a diet for myself at the beginning (I remember distinctily trying the "VELOCITY diet" from a T-nation article for about 6 weeks...worst decision ever but I got through it). After that, I started just using the same diet my roomate was on which was given to him by a really big bodybuilder at a local gym who was helping him with his diet. I started doing it to a T, and then changed it up a bit from stuff I read (again, mistake, but I learned).

I ran myself into the ground with that diet. Basically, I was dong a keto diet, but with extremely low calories and doing HIIT 3-4 times a week, got up to doing 3 hours of cardio per day, trained 6 days a week, just over trained to hell and here I was not understanding why I couldn't just get RIPPED doing all this.

Fast forward, I did the show, did ok, placed second in a very small class, and from that point on I was hooked. I found IM during the end of the diet for that show and just READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, AND READ. The very next day after that show I was in the gym, and eating like a horse....but better now. More bodybuilder type structure. Still partying and shit too.

Fast forward, I decided to do another show, and just simply couldn't get lean no matter what I tried...I just felt really awful, and decided to go to the doc and ask some questions (mind you during this time I had learned a lot more about proper eating and stuff and was doing things more the right way...VERY LONG STORY SHORT: I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. A small one on my pituitary gland. It basically caused me to be secreting no testosterone for god knows how long. ALL THAT TIME SPENT EATING AND TRAINING AND I WAS JUST INCHING IN PROGRESS, and now I knew why. I had it treated, and got a clean bill of health months later after blood work...I was normal now. STRENGTH STARTED TO FREAKING EXPLODE LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE. It was crazy. I also stopped drinking and started eating a lot better after I was diagnosed with the tumor.

Fast forward, I decided that if I wanna compete again, I would need to add a lot of size, so I just did exactly what Dante, and all the other vets here said to do...I ate my fucking face off, lifted shit heavy as I could and just progressed like no ones buisness.

I based my diet around clean eating, but at my peak of eating it was totally normal form me to stop at mcdonalds twice a day and pound double cheese burgers. What I basically did was eat every two hours with no exceptions, made sure to eat at minimum 50g of protein per meal, and the rest I just ate whatever the hell I wanted. I didn't care about getting fat. I knew I COULD DIET IT OFF WHEN I NEEDED TO...I had done it before.

Strength went off the charts, I balooned up to 267lbs, fat, bloated, but holy shit did I GET BIG and STRONG. The diet evolved sure over time, but I always just simply ate every two hours and pounded protein. I would usually go whole food, shake, whole food, shake etc the entire day until I fell asleep.

There was also a long period where I would do the whole set the alarm for 3 am and pound a protein shake and get back to bed deal...peanut butter sandwiches too.

NOTE: I knew my diet was dirty as hell, and I was getting fat...I simply didn't care...I knew that this was the fastest way to put on size...there was no way in hell i DIDN'T eat enough each and every day for 2 years or so.

I think it worked out fairly well. Around june this past year, I cleaned up the diet, did more cardio, and the fat started coming off. Then I began to prep for the show I just did...I did everything Dante said to do....EVERYTHING.

Seriously, I have word docs on my computer with just his posts on EVERYTHING. I have followed his advice and words to a freaking T...I think it has paid off thus far.

Now, will I do the same thing again this time around...no. Why? Well, basically I know now that getting that out of shape isn't good or necessary. I still feel like big eating is the way to go for sure...but you gotta eat like a bodybuilder if you still wanna stay a bit leaner while gaining...I know this, and I feel like now I have a "base". Now is where I can started building myself and get to where I wanna be one day...all I have done thus far is simply laid the ground work...NOW the work begins.

I gotta add also, the learning process for me has been never ending. For example, when I first started to really try to pack on the size I was eating ANYTHING ALL THE TIME. Candy, cakes, junk basically. Then it evolved to only eating crap like burgers and protein packed stuff. Pastas and stuff that I knew would help me grow. Now, I know a shit ton more, and continue to learn, and this time around I am eating with a structured plan of attack...still a lot of food, but I won't be eating mickey d's or ice cream more than only one and a while LOL. I only ate like that the first time because I just always wanted to be a guy who walked into the gym, or a room of people and they knew I was either a football player, bodybuilder, power lifter, whatever...I didn't wanna be the average joe who wants a 6-pack year round and is worried about staying ultra lean and gains 2-5 lbs a year...I wanna be a freaking beast when my time is done with this...long way to go, but I am willing to pay my dues.

Hope I answered your question dark. I ramble I know, but thoughts just kept pouring in. Let me know if you want me to expand on anything, if that's even possible LOL. I just rushed and typed out as much as possible.

Originally posted by NutsNBolts View Post

Originally posted by vkk View Post
                              This.

Im interested in how much your lifts blew up along with getting as big as you are.
                              Well, read my response to dark...once I got my health in order, AND was eating big, my strength just fucking skyrocketed...it still is. Look at my log. The first few pages compared to where I am now with some of my lifts...I think that progress is awesome for me. I was never a strong person (most likely due to that tumor) but once I got my shit in order, stopped partying, took everything way more seriously, and above all else got healthy, along with the big eating, I just started to explode. I did everything bigger stronger guys told me to do. (Big shout out to Robb, DCB on here...he has been there helping me for a while now. I got stuck at 250lbs, he was there to give advice and I just did what he told me and it worked.) A lot of guys here at IM have helped me along...and for that I will always be thankful.

Just listen to what bigger, stronger dudes tell you, the ones that have been there, done that, and I guarantee you won't go wrong...IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH.

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                              Serious work Lock, congrats dude!

Now I am nervous as to how much I need to drop from a soft 220lbs to get lean lol.

I thought 200lbs would do it but 170/175lbs...Yikes!
                              You'd be surprised how much you have to lose to get down to the 3% bodyfat ranges, man...it's nuts. Most guys think they have 15-20lbs to shed, and they have to really end up losing closer to 50 to be peeled when they first diet down...no one gets it until they do it!

PLEASE, someone tell me if I am coming across as self-indulgent. I am not trying to be, I just am pretty passionate about this stuff, and when i get going talking I can just keep going LOL.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                              -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Working...
                              X