Clear All

• Dutch Olympian's Protien Drink

I found this and copied it from BM-ScorpioChiq is the original poster-

Protein drink gives Dutch athletes edge at Olympics
    Originally posted by ScorpioChiq
    Dutch athletes hope protein drink will give them an edge at Olympics

Aug. 17, 2004

Provided by: Canadian Press

AMSTERDAM (AP) - Dutch athletes are quaffing a protein-boosted sports drink that a chemicals maker in the Netherlands hopes will give the country's competitors an edge at the Olympics.

DSM NV claims the drink speeds up an athlete's recovery after endurance sports such as rowing and cycling, two sports where the Dutch hope to medal. The drink contains high quantities of protein, 4.2 grams, plus 8.2 grams of carbohydrates and no fat, said Stefan Siebrecht, a spokesman for DSM.

He said the company has patented a method of splitting milk protein into such tiny molecules that they dissolve in water and enter the bloodstream directly without digestion after being swallowed. "Most (other) drinks called protein drinks hold such a tiny amount it doesn't make any difference."

Amateur cyclists who drank PeptoPro Sports between two long races finished, on average, five per cent faster than a control group in tests conducted at the University of Maastricht, Siebrecht said.

The claim is interesting but impossible to verify until researchers who test the drink publish a peer-reviewed paper on their findings, said Mel Williams, a former professor at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, who wrote a textbook on sports nutrition.

"The theory is good. There have been several studies suggesting that a carbohydrate/protein mix could improve" the rate at which the body refuels and repairs muscles, said Williams, who has no connection to DSM.

But in hopes of giving even a small edge to Dutch Olympians, the Netherlands Olympic Committee decided to endorse the drink.

Committee spokesman Frans van Dijk said once the Netherlands' anti-doping agency NeCeDo put the drink on its list of approved substances, the committee gave the go-ahead for its athletes to train with it ahead of the Athens Games.

So far, Dutch athletes have won five medals -two silver and two bronze in swimming, and a bronze in judo.

The national soccer team also used the drink during the European Championships earlier this summer, Van Dijk said.

Right now, the drink is only available to the Dutch Olympians, but DSM said it would like to market PeptoPro Sports internationally after the Athens Olympics are over.
    [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
    Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

The drink contains high quantities of protein, 4.2 grams, plus 8.2 grams of carbohydrates and no fat, said Stefan Siebrecht, a spokesman for DSM.?? that doesnt sound too high to me.
    I GET MY SUPPLEMENTS WHERE TOP ATHLETES GET THEIRS : TRUEPROTEIN.COM

:preach:

2008 Mr. Indiana Heavyweight Champ

Comment

Originally posted by joshb
      The drink contains high quantities of protein, 4.2 grams, plus 8.2 grams of carbohydrates and no fat, said Stefan Siebrecht, a spokesman for DSM.?? that doesnt sound too high to me.

That could be per serving and they just take alot of servings....I dunno.
      [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
      Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

"splitting milk protein into such tiny molecules that they dissolve in water and enter the bloodstream directly without digestion after being swallowed."

this makes no sence, unless they have a new hydrolyzing process where they are pre digesting the protein (short peptide chains), this is essentially exactly what a pure hydrolyzed protein does, which has been around for years. it doesn't sound like new technology to me, unless i am missing something here.

d
        TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

Originally posted by tpc
          "splitting milk protein into such tiny molecules that they dissolve in water and enter the bloodstream directly without digestion after being swallowed."

this makes no sence, unless they have a new hydrolyzing process where they are pre digesting the protein (short peptide chains), this is essentially exactly what a pure hydrolyzed protein does, which has been around for years. it doesn't sound like new technology to me, unless i am missing something here.

d

Perhaps its just old stuff rewritten for a good sales pitch.
          Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Working...
          X