spicy foods and appetite.question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spicy foods and appetite.question?

okay, iv'e read a few times that eating spicy foods is good for stimulating appetite. now i know that this works as i have recently started taking cayenne capsules to help with asthma, and iv'e noticed that if i dont eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours i get some wicked hunger pains. i mean almost painfull. i was just wondering if anyone knows the exact mechanism behind this and why it works. you can never learn too much,lol
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

I've heard that spicy foods will up your metabolism.
    Now I'm curious.
    Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
    Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
    www.TrueProtein.com
    *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

Comment

hmmm... me too
      Greek women, we may be lambs in the kitchen, but we are tigers in the bedroom.

MOD @ www.proactivehealthnet.com

Comment

I do not know the exact mechanism involved....but I am sure it has to do with the olfactory sensation. The smell of the food reacts with the olfactory gland and that gets us salivatating and increases our hunger.
        [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
        Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

Spicy foods stimulate appetite???? I never heard that before. Interesteing. Anybody have info on this. it would be a good read.

Maverick

Comment

Oh yeah. Try a little experiment on yourself hehe.

See how much regular oatmeal you can eat tomarrow morning. Without adding anything to it at all.

The following morning load up the oatmeal with some of your favorite stuff-maybe cinnamon/sugar, butter, etc....see how much more you can eat.

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
            Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

okay i found this on ask jeeves.com
              Hot stuff
              We probably all cringed at our first taste of spicy food. So why do we continue to eat foods that actually inflict pain? In a study done at the University of Pennsylvania in 1980, Dr. Paul Rozin hypothesized that eating spicy foods releases endorphins. Afterwards, the endorphins create an urge to eat another round of hot and fiery foods. As we age and our sense of smell diminishes, we seek out other ways to stimulate our sense of “taste” and appetite. One way to accomplish this is to add hot ingredients to our food.

Oral irritation now and then pleasurably broadens the spectrum of flavors for the aging. (this is perfect for old guys like IH and heckman,lol) Besides the kick of chili, other irritants, such as the gingerols in ginger, piperin in black pepper and the various isothiocyanates in onions, mustard, radishes and horseradish, can create sensations that compensate for the loss of smell.

Chilies can help overcome the lack of appetite that results from lack of smell. Studies on rats show that capsaicin injections keep the creatures eating for longer. What happens is that the chemical interferes with the ability of nerves to send “fullness” messages to the brain when fats and carbohydrates wash down the stomach.
              My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable. I'm unna eat your style, i'm unna eat your style's kids.

Comment

Originally posted by heavy hitter
                now i know that this works as i have recently started taking cayenne capsules to help with asthma
                Has the cayenne helped improve your asthma? If so, in what respect?

Comment

yea it has actually. it seems to me that i dont get attacks as often as i used to. when i do get them they are far more mild.i have had extremely bad asthma my whole life, i was hospitalized for it a few times as a child. the combination of cayenne and the advair discus has worked wonders for me. word of warning though, DON'T take them on an empty stomach, you'll regret it later,lol

Comment

Originally posted by heavy hitter
                    yea it has actually. it seems to me that i dont get attacks as often as i used to. when i do get them they are far more mild.i have had extremely bad asthma my whole life, i was hospitalized for it a few times as a child. the combination of cayenne and the advair discus has worked wonders for me. word of warning though, DON'T take them on an empty stomach, you'll regret it later,lol

Here is a therapy that works extremely well on asthma. In the near future I will be purchasing an abstract that shows the results obtained with this therapy in regards to asthma.

Here is an abstract about the same proceedure in regards to infectious disease and cancer...nothing about asthma but I will be posting Dr. George Miley's results on 80 people with severe asthma...each case improved significantly and many totally cleared.

Comment

Working...
                    X