Resistance bands in bodybuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistance bands in bodybuilding?

I have been reading a lot about resistance bands. Do any of you have experience using them for bodybuilding purposes?
    Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

I've seen it used a lot for strength and endurance training, would love to try it some more myself, and can't see why you could not use it for bodybuilding, just the matter of weight, form and reps..

Would like to hear if some one in here do use is on a more daily basic (I've only had the chance to try i once) and what the more long term experiences are..

now.. goodnight! :peace:
    TestosteronBoys
    HardcoreAthletez

Comment

Although I used to make fun of these I have changed my opinion quite a bit. I like to use them for a few different purposes:

1. For stretching post workout I will sometimes employ a power lifting band. You can use your imagination, but one I do is step on a band about halfway up the band. I do this while kneeling then I grab the band behind my head like in a tricep extension. Then I stand up into the stretch.

2. I will also use the band to warm up. I will use the band to imitate the exercise. I will do a few 2-3 sets of 6-10 fast reps. I feel like this gets me ready to be explosive. I've also used medicine balls for this purpose as well, but I think I prefer the bands.

3. Some people will use the power lifting bands on bench, dead lift, and squat etc. I did this for a short period of time, but never felt much of a benefit with them as part of a bodybuilding workout. If I was going to do a power lifting cycle of training to get some lifts up I would throw them in.

4. If you train at home, but are limited on equipment you can use them for finishing movements (example: chest crossovers, hook two onto a power rack on opposite sides and pull down to squeeze the back together, lateral raises, upright rows). The key to this being effective is constant tension and pumping blood in the muscle. Especially for a FST-7 type workout this will work well. I would still try to be progressive with the bands. I just found one brand that you buy the handles separate. The bands then come in 5-6 different resistance levels and you lock them into the handles.

5. Finally, if you travel and aren't sure about the equipment where you are staying you can these with some body weight exercises to help maintain.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I use them a lot
        the jump stretch type

i usually use them on flat dumbell presses, CSRows and some time triceps close grips presses,

oh and i hooked a pair of lite bands up to my hack squat so i always have them on that exercise
        If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
        :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
        Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

[QUOTE=Doberman;821945

3. Some people will use the power lifting bands on bench, dead lift, and squat etc. I did this for a short period of time, but never felt much of a benefit with them as part of a bodybuilding workout. If I was going to do a power lifting cycle of training to get some lifts up I would throw them in.
          [/QUOTE]

That is the key. I wouldn't really call myself strictly a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, but when my lifts plateau(d) I found it very beneficial to use some band and chain work as a new way to train the muscles. I got some good results and then went back to more standard lifting. Also, the way the encourage explosiveness and eccentric control means your lifting technique might improve.
          On a side note, I found chains more effective than bands for overloading muscles and bands were good for training explosively and can be used for some different movements. One that I tried was looping a chain around a dumbell handle (like a yoyo string knot) and then putting the other end around a bar in a rack and then twisting the bar until I wound the dumbell in. It was good for grip strength/forearms and I found it best on the thick part of the bar that you place weights on (the word escapes me).

Comment

Originally posted by WB3 View Post
            That is the key. I wouldn't really call myself strictly a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, but when my lifts plateau(d) I found it very beneficial to use some band and chain work as a new way to train the muscles. I got some good results and then went back to more standard lifting. Also, the way the encourage explosiveness and eccentric control means your lifting technique might improve.
            WB3,

Could you outline more of your training history (duration, etc.) and perspective for us? I'm interested in the context (program you were using, stage in your training, weights you were lifting) in which you broke through these lifting plateaus.

Thanks!

-Scott
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

I am interested in bands for things like neck training, direct triceps and biceps work, and abs. Not for my compound lifts. I hear a lot of good experiences with them, but most guys are using them for strength work.
              Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

Big Lar, it depends on how you are going to use them. If you work the muscle first with a compound lift for heavy weights and then want to finish by pumping blood directly into the muscle then this isn't a bad way, but you can do the same with machines, but some people like the "feel" of the resistance bands provide. Hany Rambod isn't the first to come up with this idea, but this is what his FST-7 training does. My advise is to experiment with either and see which you like best. I primarily train DC style, but when I get closer to a show I add volume and will use more isolation exercises. I experimented with several exercises. The one I liked the best were tricep extensions. It was good for biceps, I preferred the cable machine. I never did any neck or ab work with them, but I can see some applications for abs with them especially if you attached them high on a power rack and did crunches from a kneeling position. Experiment and see what you like. I just wouldn't use them for a majority of your training.
                1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Bands are awesome for bodybuilders. Increased eccentric load, and having to fight ALL THE WAY through a rep.....I used them on leg presses today. Hooked the bands up so that it would pull the weight down hard, then tension would ease at bottom, and then about 1/3 through the rep the tension builds so that again, you have to push all the way through. I like chains as well...today was bands though...

JM
                  John Meadows
                  CSCS, CISSN
                  Creator of the Mountain Dog Diet
                  www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

I would use them for compound lifts......
                    u do have to work in a rack or rig some thing up to hook them to, unless your not going over the lite bands because the heavy and extra heavy will lift 100-120lb dumbells off the ground

I dont know if everone in this thread are talking about the same type of bands????

I talking the jump stretch or elite fitness type as a example the lite band adds about 80lbs of tension at my lockout and no tensions on my chest on flat bench, the heavy band adds about 140lbs of tension at my lock out and around 40lbs on my chest on flat bench. Squats are more due to the distance of travel.
                    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...lt.asp?cid=138
                    If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
                    :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
                    Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Originally posted by ROB550 View Post
                      I would use them for compound lifts......
                      u do have to work in a rack or rig some thing up to hook them to, unless your not going over the lite bands because the heavy and extra heavy will lift 100-120lb dumbells off the ground

I dont know if everone in this thread are talking about the same type of bands????

I talking the jump stretch or elite fitness type as a example the lite band adds about 80lbs of tension at my lockout and no tensions on my chest on flat bench, the heavy band adds about 140lbs of tension at my lock out and around 40lbs on my chest on flat bench. Squats are more due to the distance of travel.
                      http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...lt.asp?cid=138
                      Yep - I was talking about the jump stretch bands...

JM
                      John Meadows
                      CSCS, CISSN
                      www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

I like them a lot in moderation. Simply adding a doubled mini to something like a barbell pressing movement adds not just the top end overload but enough instability to really make it a new, challenging exercise.

But use them too much and they can be counterproductive due to the lightened bottom end load. I think it's important from a physical and mental standpoint to never go too long without feeling that heavy weight in the hole.
                        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                          I like them a lot in moderation. Simply adding a doubled mini to something like a barbell pressing movement adds not just the top end overload but enough instability to really make it a new, challenging exercise.

But use them too much and they can be counterproductive due to the lightened bottom end load. I think it's important from a physical and mental standpoint to never go too long without feeling that heavy weight in the hole.
                          I 100% agree...use them wisely, not excessively.

JM
                          John Meadows
                          CSCS, CISSN
                          www.mountaindogdiet.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigLar View Post
                            Thanks, everyone.

I am interested in bands for things like neck training, direct triceps and biceps work, and abs. Not for my compound lifts. I hear a lot of good experiences with them, but most guys are using them for strength work.
                            Well I only use them periodically for mostly multijoint lifts. I typically use them for like 2-4 weeks a few times a year. I really like them on squats, (back & front), incline barbell bench, close grip bench, and military press. I like the idea of loading the portions of the lift more where you have more mechanical advantage. Although thinking out loud here...not sure if that's always the case there...

Comment

does anyone have anything to say about using them for assistance work?
                              M.S., B.S., B.A., CSCS, USAW

"There is no substitute for strength, and no excuse for the lack of it"

"Two pains in life: pain of hard work and pain of regret"

Comment

Working...
                              X