advice for losing weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for losing weight

Many of you have probably seen my posts about my chubby hubby. I've called him that since we were married. Well, he's somewhat overweight, not too bad. For the past couple of years I have been begging him to go to the gym with me. He's always got an excuse to not go so I've tried to not nag too much. I knew evenutally he would come around.

He finally decided he wants to lose weight. He literally works 80 - 90 hours a week, so anytime he gets away from work he wants to spend with the family. So, for now he won't go to the gym.

My question to ya'll is advice. I've never been on a DIET to lose weight, so I really don't know a whole lot about it except he should be on a low carb diet. His diet sucks. He's a restaurant manager, so you'd think he eats all the time.... WRONG!!! He eats probably one meal a day and it's huge.

Since I can't get him in the gym just yet, he can burn off the fat with cardio, but I don't know how much cardio he should be doing. 3 times a week?, 5 times?? I have no idea. He's expressed an interest in running, but he's not a runner. I'm afraid he wouldn't be able to run down the street without being completely worn out.

Ok, any advice or tips ya'll have would be appreciated.
    Greek women, we may be lambs in the kitchen, but we are tigers in the bedroom.

MOD @ www.proactivehealthnet.com

Originally posted by american idol
    Many of you have probably seen my posts about my chubby hubby. I've called him that since we were married. Well, he's somewhat overweight, not too bad. For the past couple of years I have been begging him to go to the gym with me. He's always got an excuse to not go so I've tried to not nag too much. I knew evenutally he would come around.

He finally decided he wants to lose weight. He literally works 80 - 90 hours a week, so anytime he gets away from work he wants to spend with the family. So, for now he won't go to the gym.

My question to ya'll is advice. I've never been on a DIET to lose weight, so I really don't know a whole lot about it except he should be on a low carb diet. His diet sucks. He's a restaurant manager, so you'd think he eats all the time.... WRONG!!! He eats probably one meal a day and it's huge.

Since I can't get him in the gym just yet, he can burn off the fat with cardio, but I don't know how much cardio he should be doing. 3 times a week?, 5 times?? I have no idea. He's expressed an interest in running, but he's not a runner. I'm afraid he wouldn't be able to run down the street without being completely worn out.

Ok, any advice or tips ya'll have would be appreciated.
    AI, Well right off the bat, once a day ain't right, your body will learn that it will keep evert bit of that meal as storage since it will be in a starvation mode the rest of the day.

You need to get him to eat more often throughout the day and eating clean since he does not lift.

Try to find out what his BMR is and set him up to not take in more than that and maybe cut out 500 kcals a day if he is not going to the gym...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

How do I find out his BMR?

Comment

How do I find out his BMR?
        What is his weight, then just add a 0 to it and thats a good indicator what your system uses in kcals to maintain weight, lots of variables though...
        "That damn log book"

Comment

That's a good start. I plan on logging everything for him. I want him to be successful. He would feel so much better about himself if he did lost weight. But, I don't think he will stick with it unless I'm helping him the whole way.

Comment

That's a good start. I plan on logging everything for him. I want him to be successful. He would feel so much better about himself if he did lost weight. But, I don't think he will stick with it unless I'm helping him the whole way.
            Then you help him the whole way then, its great when you help someone lose weight or add strength and size, feels real good inside helping...
            "That damn log book"

Comment

and as far as exercise and cardio goes, have hime go for a walk outside with the family every night, a 30 minute walk can be very effective and it gives him time with you and the kids if you go along with him. Also, depending on the ages of the kids you can go bike riding, roller blading, whatever. the point is if he works so much and would prefer to spend his free time with the family, then involve the family. Cardio & exercise does not necessarily have to be on a treadmill or exercise bike, any activity involving constant movement is going to be fine especially for someone who is relatively inactive to begin with.
              -KidRok-
              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

have him sign on here with us for motivation purposes and reading things for himself. Knowledge is power!!!

Tell him we are all rooting for him.
                "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

As in-human mentioned he must eat throughout the day every 3 hours or so. The body will adjust and not give up anything if it knows it's only getting one meal a day. If you can get him to eat clean meals (at least 4 meals a day to start), he'll be able to lose weight without cardio.

Hopefully he'll start seeing some of the fat drop off and he'll pick up the cardio/weight lifting.

Comment

Thanks ya'll. I'll help him work on the diet. I'll have to call him several times a day to make sure he eats.

We have hills in our neighborhood. We'll start walking together. We haven't gone for a walk in a long time, so it will be good. We get stuck in our everyday routines around here. We should change it up a bit.

Comment

Ok... bringing this up again.

My hubby has the kind of job that does not allow him to eat the ideal 5 - 7 meals a day. It really is impossible. He works usually 65 - 75 hours a week. He will go all day without eating anything just because he doesn't have the time to actually sit down uninterrupted and enjoy a meal.

So, I'm wondering...... A supplemental shake would be just as good as a meal while he's at work, right? If so, any recommendations?

My thinking is he can actually walk around with it & take care of his stuff & not worry about getting inturrupted.

Comment

Yup, for busy busy people, better a good MRP than none at all. A fruit here and there coupled with a few potein rich snadwiches would do the job rather than macs and stuff!

Lots out there, prolab's Lean mass matrix, eas myoplex(new formula), MHP's upp your mass.. most of the new mrp's would do fine.. just avoid those with malto as their first ingredient.
                        Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Ok... bringing this up again.

My hubby has the kind of job that does not allow him to eat the ideal 5 - 7 meals a day. It really is impossible. He works usually 65 - 75 hours a week. He will go all day without eating anything just because he doesn't have the time to actually sit down uninterrupted and enjoy a meal.

So, I'm wondering...... A supplemental shake would be just as good as a meal while he's at work, right? If so, any recommendations?

My thinking is he can actually walk around with it & take care of his stuff & not worry about getting inturrupted.

That would definitely work. That's what I do at work. You can pick up a 1 or 2 liter plastic shaker bottle and make your MRP's in the morning, or get a premaid one and take it to work. I'll usually down half of it in between a breakfast and lunch, as well as before I leave. Toss some natural peanut butter in there and you'll have a good slow digesting protein/fat meal.

R

Comment

I think that you are the greatest thing that he has going of him if he REALLY wants to lose weight. I love what KidRok said about making exercise a family affair the benefits here will be well beyond just physical. Its all about quality of life. And always encourage snacking and tons of water throughout the day. And nothing motivates more than example. Let us know how he is progressing.
                            Stay Hard and Get Huge !

Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius , power and magic in it. Begin it now. - Goethe

Comment

Thank you so much guys. Really. He's very shy about getting on IM, but he reads all this stuff over my shoulder. The encouragement & advice is wonderful. Keep it coming!!

Comment

Working...
                              X