carb depleted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb depleted...

I was wondering when your carb depleted and have all the glycogen (water) pushed out of your body is it a fair bet to say what you see in the mirror is your muscle and fat ratio... since there is no carbs in you ? And if this is true im assuming anyting you can pinch off you is bodyfat..... but when you carb back up does some of that skin get tight again?

Just because you are carb depleated not all water will be out of your system, you will still have quite a bit left...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

You can also be carb-depleted but still holding water. However, the low-carb dieting process will generally leave you relatively dehydrated.

Tyson, you seem to equate glycogen with water. Also, what do you mean by "muscle and fat ratio?"

It is possible to have low body fat levels and lots of loose skin, as well.

-R
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

well what i mean by muscle / fat ratio is that if you do zero carbs pretty much and your body is depleted when you look in the mirror it gives you an idea of how much bodyfat to muscle you really have? You look really flat since there is not glycogen in you... and i read somewhere that for each gram of glyc is 3grams of water or somthing of that nature. I could be way off. Im just wondering that the skin im pinching now must be fat becuase you cant really pull muscle off your body like this

Comment

ur skin will tighten up, well at least mine does...when im super depleted, and i start carbing up, within minutes i go vein crazy and my skin looks as if its about to explode of how tight it gets..its awesome how ur body changes with the smallest macronutrients....

thats why i carb deplete a couple days before the show all the way until friday nite and around 7-8 i start the carb up process...my skin gets so tight i vant sleep cause it gets sorta uncomfortable...maybe some of u here know what i mean..

pudge
          " A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men"

"Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who dont have dreams dont have much"

"if you're going through hell... keep going"

Comment

Tyson,

Muscle is a tissue that contains muscle cells, nerves, lymphatic vessels, lymph, lymphatic vessels, interstitial fluid, connective tissue fibers, etc.

Within the muscle cells, glycogen is stored which has an osmotic effect, pulling water in the muscl (the value is actual ~2.6 grams of water / g of glycogen).

This glycogen *is* part of muscle. The purpose of carb-loading per se is to literally increase the mass and volume of the muscle tissue in a very short period of time by increasing glycogen and intracellular water content. This indeed *IS* an increase in muscle tissue, albeit the composition of the muscle mass increase is not the same as what comes with months and years of training, eating, etc., where myofibrillar protein accretes.

So, basically, you look better when you're carbed up b/c you have more muscle mass. Carb-depleting reduces muscle mass.

I think I'd have to see a pic to know if what you're feeling in a skin fold is fat (yes, that's some of it) or if there's a good deal of subcutaneous water accumulation. A skinfold w/ a superthin subcutaneous fat layer will be like the back of your hand. The amt. of water held there will be minimal. If you have a 15mm skinfold, there's definitely some fat there.

If you drop your carbs for a week, do two whole body workout w/ high reps and lowered weight, training your whole body w/ at least 100 reps for large muscles, 50 or so for smaller muscles, and minimize your sodium intake, you'll be pretty damn dry and depleted. (this is w/o even screwing with your water intake.)

-R
            Last edited by homonunculus; 07-13-2004, 12:16 PM.
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Randy, you just might be proof that it is possible to know too much. You definitely know your stuff my friend!
              "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

Thanks, GB! I really don't know shit in the big scheme of things. The above is, IMO, just a little A&P and Bodybuilding 101.

-R
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Pudge= i see what your saying but of course your at a totally different body fat level then i am now lol i for sure have some skin i can grab on to and if i do carb up im sure ill get tigher but dam i cant wait to see veins!!!

Randy= Your to smart for your own good lol= im gonna try to get a pic for you to tell me what you think i mean i konw i still have body fat on me like a good amount there is no questoin about that lol But sometimes i wonder if its really all fat or will some of it tighten up when i get fuller. I sure do have a flat look that sfor sure for doing the type of diet i am doing i dont ever really give myself a chance to carb back up considering my refeeds arent that high in carbs and only 2twice a week. But im gonna see if i can get a pic becuase i do feel my waist getting smaller but its like one second i feel leaner then ill go in the mirror couple hours later and feel loose and flabby which i konw has to do with the no carbs.

Comment

The mirror is your friend sir. It never lies.

Sometimes people get caught up with technical info that wont mean much in the end when they should just be using the most simple approach: how they look in the mirror, fit into their clothes, or how they feel.
                    Bigger, Faster, Stronger

Admin @ http://www.extrememuscle.co.nr - Come check out my board if ya get a chance!

Comment

So Randy woudlnt you agree then that while being depleted you are in the best mode for burning fat? Since carbs arent really in the way of having to get burned ... if your bodies running off fats you can get rid of a good amount of body fat in a short time. Of course this type of diet is high protein and good amount of fats to the kcals are still there so you dont shrink up. And whenever you want to you can carb up to get an idea of what you really look like?

Comment

Working...
                      X