Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research on the Atkins diet…..

Here’s a summary of what the research shows found in SHAPE magazine;

The claim The Atkins diet lowers cholesterol and potentially harmful blood fats known as triglycerides.
    The reality Yes, dieters’ cholesterol and triglyceride levels do go down, but this is not a significant finding because these levels temporarily drop any time you lose weight by any means.

The claim The Atkins diet is good for your heart.
    The reality Decades of independently conducted scientific studies have found that diets high in meat and animal fats are linked to increases in heart disease, certain cancers, obesity and diabetes.

The claim As long as you progress through the diet’s phases and add healthy carbs, such as low-glycemic fruits and vegetables, and eventually whole grains, you can follow this program for life.
    The reality Researchers reported the following findings from a six-month-long Atkins-funded study:
    • Excretion of calcium in the urine increased significantly. Many researchers believe this could lead to a loss of calcium from the bones, especially if the diet is followed for a long time.
    • An estimated 66% of the weight lost was from fat, which means that 1/3 came from muscle and water. Losing muscle mass is never desirable.
    • Sixty-eight percent of people experienced constipation, 63% bad breath, 51% headaches and 10% hair loss.

In short, for health reasons, the Atkins diet is unsound to follow for more than a few months, since it is too high in saturated fats and there is little evidence that improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels stay that way.

Comments?
    Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
    Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
    www.TrueProtein.com
    *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

No surprise here...

Comment

It seems like I read an article about Dr. Atkins' death, and when they did his autopsy his arteries were over 90% clogged. Don't quote me on this until I find the info.
      "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

After searching several articles in the internet, it appears as if there was no autopsy for Dr. Atkins' death. Several of the reports said he did have a history of heart problem, but that was caused by some virus. Plenty of doctors contest this theory.

Comment

66% of weight loss is fat..and they think thats bad? Try a low fat diet and see how much muscle mass you lose. Despite the low fat diet craze for 40 years people are fatter than they were when eating more fat.

Comment

bottom line is it works... BB is not about health although we like to stay as healty as we can while achieving our goals.

E
            True Protein discount code EDC256. Save now!

Comment

no one said it didn't work, because we all know it does if you follow it correctly. I think what KRL was saying is that it might not be the healthiest diet out there, and there are better and safer ways to lose fat. For instance a little hard work in the gym.

Comment

Yes yes I know, not a flame just a general statement. It was not directed towards anyone in particular....

Ed
                True Protein discount code EDC256. Save now!

Comment

I think Atkins is very good in the short term for improving insulin sensitivity.
                  As for cholesterol levels....our liver manufactures cholesterol-and there is a good chance that cholesterol is misunderstood by the medical profession.
                  Of course, with the pharma cartel making a killing on anti cholesterol drugs we are inundated with anti-cholesterol advice and advertising.

The reason Atkins-or any diet works-with the general- non-fitness- conscious poulation is because these people are generally only eating junk food like chips and doughnuts and soft drinks anyway.

If someone uses Atkins and gets the insulin under control then they should reintroduce complex carbs ( i believe his diet recommends this)

Also...usually I run across some people that speak of Atkins weighing 260 plus at autopsy...which is correct.

He weighed 197 when admitted to the hospital after his head injury (slipped on ice and head hit pavement) but he balooned up to 260 due to the massive trauma...which is ordinary for such an injury.

Also...keep in mind that there are agricultural groups and supporters that are losing tons of money due to "low carb"...so they will certainly put some negative spin on Atkins philosophies.

I personally do not support any of the "diets"...we all know how to eat healthy...everything in moderation.
                  [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
                  Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

I love how you guys are always defending me!

Big Ed -- don't worry, I didn't take it as a flame.

I personally think diet is a 4-letter word.

I have heard that the Atkin's Diet works if, only if, you follow it to a "T". I see so many around me that learn so very little & jump on the bandwagon. I cannot count how many coworkers I see eating just bacon in the morning.

So between not following the directions & going on fad diets these people don't realize but they are making themselves fatter! Everyone wants a shortcut. God forbid they should just eat healthier.

R ~ sorry, too much emotion?
                    Kid's Wench :flex: and Bon-Bon's sis
                    Ask me about FitnessXLOnline.com
                    www.TrueProtein.com
                    *use FXL222 for a discount on your 1st purchase

Comment

Working...
                    X