Shoulder injury work around......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder injury work around......

Okay, I have a dilema to figure out. I have an ols shoulder injury that is flaring up again and I can no longer do military presses and a few other movements. Question is this, how am I going to get my shoulders bigger without heavy weight????

The pain really depends on the angle of the movement and it doesn't feel like it muscular pain. It is deep in the shoulder. I know most of you say it's a rotator cuff injury, and it may well be. I had it x-rayed and there is nothing apparent on the film as far as bone damage. I think there is a tendon or something in there getting pinched.

How do I work around this?
    "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Had something similar several years ago...an MRI showed bone spurs inside my shoulder..had it roto-rootered out and it has been fine ever since..just an FYI..
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

damnit!!! I hope my insurance will cover it.

Comment

Sometimes an impingement isue but whenever I find my shoulder is acting up I have developed a reginmine to heal it. Basically I start each upper body workout with shoulders and use light dumbells (really light) for circles at shoulder level. In other words I hold my arms out at shoulder level with light dumbells andbegin circling them slowly into wider arcs, doing 100 reps on first set. I go forward and back and do two sets and then do light lateral raises for 25-30 reps for third set. After a week I resume pressing lightly after this. I usually am better in two weeks or less.

I believe the most common cause of this is the bench press. Try other exercises for your chest . Inclines with higher reps and dumbells are great.

Comment

Is it a question of mobility? I have the exact same thing with my left shoulder.

I got a bit of advice from DC and it was free so I don't think he'd mind me sharing.

Get a big beach towel and roll it up like a rope. Hold it with straight arms down by your quads. Your grip will probably have to be pretty wide (mine at first was the lenght of the towell). With your arms remaining straight, bring them up and over your head. Bring it back down your backside with those straight arms and until your under your ass at your hammies. Then bring it back up over your head, then back down to your quads again. That's one rep. I'm doing 50 a night. Every night try to make the grip a bit more narrow. I also need to mention, don't jerk it over your head, go nice and slow. Your shoulders will burn! But burn in a good way.

DC said in 2-3 weeks you'll be a new man. I'm already done with week one and my grip is noticibly more narrow. Hell, I has shoulder night last night and shoulder dumbell presser were the most comfortable they've ever been since I injured it in highschool.
          Please tell your boobs to quit staring at my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Prot
            Sometimes an impingement isue but whenever I find my shoulder is acting up I have developed a reginmine to heal it. Basically I start each upper body workout with shoulders and use light dumbells (really light) for circles at shoulder level. In other words I hold my arms out at shoulder level with light dumbells andbegin circling them slowly into wider arcs, doing 100 reps on first set. I go forward and back and do two sets and then do light lateral raises for 25-30 reps for third set. After a week I resume pressing lightly after this. I usually am better in two weeks or less.

I believe the most common cause of this is the bench press. Try other exercises for your chest . Inclines with higher reps and dumbells are great.
            flat bench doesn't hurt all, but still do not do them anymore. Incline bench and any type of shoulder press hurts like hell. I have had to revert to a lot of machine exercises for chest. Shoulders are very hard to hit right now, but I still try to work through some lateral raises and front raises.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywooly
              Is it a question of mobility? I have the exact same thing with my left shoulder.

I got a bit of advice from DC and it was free so I don't think he'd mind me sharing.

Get a big beach towel and roll it up like a rope. Hold it with straight arms down by your quads. Your grip will probably have to be pretty wide (mine at first was the lenght of the towell). With your arms remaining straight, bring them up and over your head. Bring it back down your backside with those straight arms and until your under your ass at your hammies. Then bring it back up over your head, then back down to your quads again. That's one rep. I'm doing 50 a night. Every night try to make the grip a bit more narrow. I also need to mention, don't jerk it over your head, go nice and slow. Your shoulders will burn! But burn in a good way.

DC said in 2-3 weeks you'll be a new man. I'm already done with week one and my grip is noticibly more narrow. Hell, I has shoulder night last night and shoulder dumbell presser were the most comfortable they've ever been since I injured it in highschool.

it is my left shoulder as well. I will have to try this routine. I have tried various exercises to strengthen the muscles around my shoulder and nothing has helped.

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
              X