Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All4n
    replied
    I used it before during a cut and was very happy with the end result, however it was hard to tell how much of an effect the sesamin had. Comparing it with my recent efforts to cut though, i'm confident in saying it absolutely did help. I was looking into getting some recently to use in an effort to keep gains leaner but the following study puts me off.

Originally posted by marlon View Post
    Sesame ingestion affects sex hormones, antioxidant status, and blood lipids in postmenopausal women.
    Wu WH, Kang YP, Wang NH, Jou HJ, Wang TA.
    Department of Human Development and Family Studies, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei 106, Taiwan. [email protected]

Sesame ingestion has been shown to improve blood lipids in humans and antioxidative ability in animals. Sesamin, a sesame lignan, was recently reported to be converted by intestinal microflora to enterolactone, a compound with estrogenic activity and also an enterometabolite of flaxseed lignans, which are known to be phytoestrogens. Whether sesame can be a source of phytoestrogens is unknown. This study was designed to investigate the effect of sesame ingestion on blood sex hormones, lipids, tocopherol, and ex vivo LDL oxidation in postmenopausal women. Twenty-six healthy subjects attended, and 24 completed, this randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Half of them consumed 50 g sesame seed powder daily for 5 wk, followed by a 3-wk washout period, then a 5-wk 50-g rice powder placebo period. The other half received the 2 supplements in reverse order. After sesame treatment, plasma total cholesterol (TC), LDL-C, the ratio of LDL-C to HDL-C, thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in oxidized LDL, and serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate decreased significantly by 5, 10, 6, 23, and 18%, respectively. The ratio of alpha- and gamma-tocopherol to TC increased significantly by 18 and 73%, respectively. All of these variables differed significantly between the 2 treatments. Serum sex hormone-binding globulin and urinary 2-hydroxyestrone (n = 8) increased significantly by 15 and 72%, respectively, after sesame treatment, and these concentrations tended to differ (P = 0.065 and P = 0.090, respectively) from those after the placebo treatment. These results suggest that sesame ingestion benefits postmenopausal women by improving blood lipids, antioxidant status, and possibly sex hormone status.

PMID: 16614415 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Seems to show SHBG is increased which makes me rule its use out straight away, but as it was carried out with menopausal women i think some more research is neeeded. Also they consumed 50g of the powder, is 1g powder equivilent to the standard 1000mg caps sold? I don't think i've seen any mention of an extract before. 50g is a big dose so perhaps at 3g per day the SHBG increase may not be an issue.

The info out there on sesamin for increasing fat oxidation and decreasing fat storage is very promising though.

Leave a comment:

• PeteM
    replied
    I've been using Sesapure from the AF store since my comp back in November. I've noticed that its been easier to keep in better shape this year. Righ now I'm sitting at 245 with clear abs - on a 5'10" frame. I take 2 caps 2x/day.

Leave a comment:

• JAKE_CRAPP
    replied
    Originally posted by KCSuperman View Post
    I got scivations. do you how this works is it pgf2a..or is it ppr something?
    I'm really not too sure, I'm wanna try their Essential FA, and Primaforce Max CLA. Good to stack all three.

Leave a comment:

• KCSuperman
    replied
    Originally posted by JAKE_CRAPP View Post
    Sesamin is also good for liver/kidney health, maintaining a healthy lipid profile, reduction of imflammation, a few more things.
    I got scivations. do you how this works is it pgf2a..or is it ppr something?

Leave a comment:

• Jason Pegg
    replied
    Make sure you get the one by avant Labs. it is head and shoulders above the others. I cant remember what it has the others dont, but it is what makes the difference.

Jason

Leave a comment:

• JAKE_CRAPP
    replied
    Sesamin is also good for liver/kidney health, maintaining a healthy lipid profile, reduction of imflammation, a few more things.

Leave a comment:

• Jerzey
    replied
    Originally posted by V5RED View Post
    used it for over 5 weeks with TTA...
    Did that too but got horrible side's

My body went numb one night after walking the dog, after 2 bottles of gartoade and a bunch on banana's I was ok but dizzy, the dizzyness last over 2 weeks

Told my Doc about it he said I should of atleast admitted my self to the ER after 3 days of being dizzy

Leave a comment:

• JAKE_CRAPP
    replied
    Originally posted by KCSuperman View Post
    I took it four years ago. seemed to have leaned up minimal. and may have effected sex drive some for the decline if I took too much so I think I did 1-3 grams a day. its been so long i forget Think it was 2004.

somethings I remember : its a nice antioxidant.
    Oh Lord! LOL, I'm taking 3,000mg/day (1000mg 3x/day). I'll be sure to monitor my sex drive lol. I don't think it will be effected at all... May have to throw in some Novedex XT, LOL!
    Last edited by JAKE_CRAPP; 02-18-2009, 08:20 PM. Reason: To make a correction to the dosing of sesamin I posted.

Leave a comment:

• KCSuperman
    replied
    I took it four years ago. seemed to have leaned up minimal. and may have effected sex drive some for the decline if I took too much so I think I did 1-3 grams a day. its been so long i forget Think it was 2004.

somethings I remember : its a nice antioxidant.

Leave a comment:

• JAKE_CRAPP
    replied
    I just started taking Scivation Sesamin/Dialene 4x today.

Leave a comment:

• View 1
    replied
    I just started taking DCP and scivation sesamin today. I bought the stack last year but did not start until today ( long story ) I found out about them on BB.com, and researched it for awhile, because I was looking for a fat burner that was not thermogenic. I have never taken any fat loss product before this.

Leave a comment:

• bruth
    replied
    Ive been using it on and off for the past year or so. Generally, Liquid is more effective than caps, but from my experiance the only onw to deliever any real results is the original by Avant (this has been echoed many times on other boards). The other brands (mainly Scivation/Prima) seem to work a litttle for damage control and have been touted as a way of reducing some of the negative affects of a night of drinking, this I noticed as well. IMO anything besided that or Scivation is a complete waste for body-comp purposes.

Leave a comment:

• V5RED
    replied
    used it for over 5 weeks with TTA...there was no improvement in my fat loss so i dropped both and upped my fish oil back to its previous level (30g/day)to compensate...i have alot more energy now

Leave a comment:

• marlon
    replied
    Sesame ingestion affects sex hormones, antioxidant status, and blood lipids in postmenopausal women.
    Wu WH, Kang YP, Wang NH, Jou HJ, Wang TA.
    Department of Human Development and Family Studies, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei 106, Taiwan. [email protected]w

Sesame ingestion has been shown to improve blood lipids in humans and antioxidative ability in animals. Sesamin, a sesame lignan, was recently reported to be converted by intestinal microflora to enterolactone, a compound with estrogenic activity and also an enterometabolite of flaxseed lignans, which are known to be phytoestrogens. Whether sesame can be a source of phytoestrogens is unknown. This study was designed to investigate the effect of sesame ingestion on blood sex hormones, lipids, tocopherol, and ex vivo LDL oxidation in postmenopausal women. Twenty-six healthy subjects attended, and 24 completed, this randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Half of them consumed 50 g sesame seed powder daily for 5 wk, followed by a 3-wk washout period, then a 5-wk 50-g rice powder placebo period. The other half received the 2 supplements in reverse order. After sesame treatment, plasma total cholesterol (TC), LDL-C, the ratio of LDL-C to HDL-C, thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in oxidized LDL, and serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate decreased significantly by 5, 10, 6, 23, and 18%, respectively. The ratio of alpha- and gamma-tocopherol to TC increased significantly by 18 and 73%, respectively. All of these variables differed significantly between the 2 treatments. Serum sex hormone-binding globulin and urinary 2-hydroxyestrone (n = 8) increased significantly by 15 and 72%, respectively, after sesame treatment, and these concentrations tended to differ (P = 0.065 and P = 0.090, respectively) from those after the placebo treatment. These results suggest that sesame ingestion benefits postmenopausal women by improving blood lipids, antioxidant status, and possibly sex hormone status.

PMID: 16614415 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---

Dietary Sesamin Is Converted to Enterolactone in Humans1
    José L. Peñalvo2, Satu-M. Heinonen, Anna-M. Aura* and Herman Adlercreutz

Institute for Preventive Medicine, Nutrition, and Cancer, Folkhälsan Research Center, and Division of Clinical Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland; and * VTT Biotechnology, Espoo, Finland

2To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: [email protected].

Sesamin, a major sesame seed lignan, has many biological actions. The specific mechanisms for most of these actions as well as the full metabolic pathway of sesamin in humans are unclear. Two experiments were carried out to determine whether postprandial plasma enterolactone is related to sesamin concentration in sesame seeds and whether enterolactone is the major product of the in vitro fermentation of sesamin. Four subjects (3 women, 1 man) were given a single dose of sesame seeds after they consumed a low-lignan diet for 1 wk. Blood was collected at baseline and at time intervals after intake and plasma was analyzed for plant and mammalian lignan concentrations. Additionally, pure sesamin standard was incubated in vitro with human fecal inoculum to mimic the fermentation process in human gut. We calculated individual pharmacokinetic variables and found high interindividual variation in the plasma plant lignan concentrations. The mammalian lignan appearance rate in plasma shows that sesamin is a major precursor of enterolactone in vivo. In the in vitro experiment, enterolactone was the major metabolite and 3 intermediates were identified, allowing the elucidation of sesamin metabolism in humans. Enterolactone was the major metabolite of sesamin both in vivo and in vitro. The abundance of sesamin in sesame seeds indicates that they are a major food source of enterolactone precursors.

---

There's risk of stimulating enterolactone and estrogenic activity. I know the first study was on post-menopausal women, but it's still something to look at. I've heard some people losing libido on it as well.

Leave a comment:

• Creator_11
    replied
    I was a tester for the product about 2 years ago when it was first coming out.

Some things I noticed.

#1 - This stuff mixed in my protein shake made it taste way better! Sweet and filling
    #2 - It didn't taste bad and was easy to use in cooking or just taking ti by the tablespoon.

Now as far as experience as far as I can remember, there was not much from it otherwise I would probably be still using the product if I saw some real noticeable benefit from it vs just taking a less costly fish oil supp or olive oil.

To each there own, but I think I'll save my coin for something else.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X