Cardio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by homonunculus

HIIT = High Intensity Interval (or Intermittent) Training. An example would be to sprint 100 yards, walk 200 yards, sprint, 100, walk 200, etc. until you've gone for 15 - 20 minutes. Same idea can be done on a cycle, stepper, etc. The high-intensity should be maximal or at a level that you can't maintain for longer than a 1-2 minutes.

-Randy
    Thanks again, bro...I think I got it now. I was a Marine so I like it when things are broken down "Barney" style (as we used to say). Take care..

-slide
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by SweatMachine
      cool-- no cardio and I'll go on a starvation diet....all my questions have been answered!~ I hate treadmills, dont mind the xtrainers so much.

Sex is a suitable substitute !!!!!!

How bout this:

20ius GH/day and 3 bouts of sex/day
      Ya gotta get lean that way!
      Another very logical plan. I LIKE IT!

-R
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by slide
        Thanks again, bro...I think I got it now. I was a Marine so I like it when things are broken down "Barney" style (as we used to say). Take care..

-slide
        No prob., Bro. You should love the HIIT.

-R
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

No prob., Bro. You should love the HIIT.

-R
          Ok, one more then ...how many days per week would be recommended? Is three/four too much or just about right (Like EOD?)? I know you do none, but I dont think Im as genetically gifted as you (or even in the same category)

-slide
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by slide
            Ok, one more then ...how many days per week would be recommended? Is three/four too much or just about right (Like EOD?)? I know you do none, but I dont think Im as genetically gifted as you (or even in the same category)

-slide
            Hey Slide,

My genetic gift is a tolerance for pain and discomfort. Its not a matter of having naturally low BF levels. I also might be someone who does well on low carbs (although it was not that way when I first started doing CKD's.)

I was talking to my folks this weekend and my Mom said that during my 1st year of life, I was in the 5th percentile on the height / weight charts - a small little guy (and I was eating). I am a mesomorph, though, just not a naturally lean one.

Another way to look at it: I don't do cardio b/c I'm not genetically gifted enough to get away with it and still hold on to muscle (and I have tried).

I would ease into the HIIT, starting with 1 x / week in place of your reg. cardio. The answer to your question will depend upon your current training volume and tolerance for more. You would work up ot about 3-4 x / week, spacing it so it doesn't interfere with leg training days or recovery. E.g., if you train legs Mon, you might do HIIT Wed, Fri and Sat.

-Randy
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Heeeey Randy!!!!
              I actually enjoy doing cardio, but when i added it into my last contest prep, i only did 2wks of 45min on the treadmill at a max incline. I lost about all the muscle i had in my legs. So noo more cardio for me during contest time.

I get my supplements where top athletes get theirs, www.trueprotien.com

Stephanie's MySpace Page

2006 PRO CARD and 2005 USA AND 2005 TeamU

Comment

I have come to a point in my prep (10 weeks out) where i need to drop cardio also. my numbers are starting to drop to fast.

I wasnt loosing any LBS untill last week then I added 7days of HIT cardio and now I cant slow the drop down. LOL

HBG how you doing girl?

Comment

hardbodygrl

It's always nice to see the beautiful people! Good to see ya HBG!

xcel
                  Lift Smarter, not more
                  60% Nutrition - 25% Workout - 10% Rest - 5% Supplementation

Comment

Hey Slide,

My genetic gift is a tolerance for pain and discomfort. Its not a matter of having naturally low BF levels. I also might be someone who does well on low carbs (although it was not that way when I first started doing CKD's.)

I was talking to my folks this weekend and my Mom said that during my 1st year of life, I was in the 5th percentile on the height / weight charts - a small little guy (and I was eating). I am a mesomorph, though, just not a naturally lean one.

Another way to look at it: I don't do cardio b/c I'm not genetically gifted enough to get away with it and still hold on to muscle (and I have tried).

I would ease into the HIIT, starting with 1 x / week in place of your reg. cardio. The answer to your question will depend upon your current training volume and tolerance for more. You would work up ot about 3-4 x / week, spacing it so it doesn't interfere with leg training days or recovery. E.g., if you train legs Mon, you might do HIIT Wed, Fri and Sat.

-Randy
                    Ok, all that makes perfect sense...I guess I just had to "see" it written down. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question(s). Until next time...take care, bro.

-slide

Comment

there is a lot of good info here. Especially with most people starting to cut for the summer months.
                      "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

This is what works for me....I call it Anerobic threshold training
                        220 minus age times .65
                        220 minus age times .85
                        the bottom number is your lower threshold, the top number is your upper threshold.On the treadmill With your heartrate monitor on, go to your upper threshold(mine is 150)this is done by inclining or speed, once there reduce incline or speed till you hit lower threshold,(mine is 115)for you math wizzes, I'm 44, then back up to threshold plus 5, then back down,then threshold plus 10, etc,etc, I go to plus 20 generally then have had enough...been as high as plus 30 thats puke stage for me, try it it does'nt take long and really works. I've found it not only burns fat but also helps my heart rate recover faster (actually trains your heart) helps alot on the big compound moves squats & deads especially. Good luck,
                        GF
                        Last edited by gravityfighter; 03-03-2004, 07:20 PM.
                        The older I get the lighter the weights used to be...........

Comment

I hate cardio, and only do it when necessary.
                          I added 30 min per [email protected] week 15 and started dumping weight.
                          Im now only doing 30 mins on my no training days.
                          I REALLY need to preserve as much muscle a possible so Im taking Skips Randy's and PuMPED's advice of lower calories instead......I like that idea!
                          SweatMachine
                          (pronounced: Swet-Mow-Sheen)

That which we manifest lies before us.

Comment

TTT

this is just good info
                            "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

Ok, yet another question...I have read where cardio was recommended almost every day (Im assuming low intensity) and that as long as protein intake was kept "high", one shouldnt be losing muscle...and if they are, they should up their protein intake.

Now, from the information read in this thread, cardio should be kept at a minimum and/or done rarely and that the individual should focus more on kcals instead.

Again, just trying to learn and soak up as much as I can.

-slide

Comment

Originally posted by hardbodygrl
                                Heeeey Randy!!!!
                                I actually enjoy doing cardio, but when i added it into my last contest prep, i only did 2wks of 45min on the treadmill at a max incline. I lost about all the muscle i had in my legs. So noo more cardio for me during contest time.
                                Whassup HBG!

I hear ya on the leg thing - you can always tell the competitors on stage who did too much cardio. There's just a look to their legs that they were once carrying a lot more muscle...

-R
                                The Book Has Arrived!
                                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                                X