relative intensity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relative intensity

Im curious what you guys think about the things Mike israetel is promoting on this video here.

https://youtu.be/77nX_bMe5fA

It looks to me that he is telling people to train very light from a relative intensity point of view.

His workset where he "went to the dark place" wasnt even to failure, it looked like he had 4-6 reps more left in the tank. I would call that a warmup. To tell people to train like that seems misguided to me, unless you do 30-40 sets pr bodyparrt a week or something silly like that.

I know the relationship between volume and intensity and how you cant do a lot of both without overreaching, but this was kind of laughable to me. His most intense set was barely a grinder He stopped the set before the hard reps even began.

Am i misinterpreting this or what do you guys think?

how often do you guys "go to that dark place" to get the most out of your worksets, and do you think it can be detriental even if form, mind muscle connection and injuries/niggles are good?

what is your experience with relative intensity like?

Well I completed a 12 weeks 6 day a week Meadows program which was brutal and after a week off I started DC so I tend to stay in the dark place training. I think effort is the primary driver of growth. If someone is always stopping before failure how many effective reps are they really hitting? How much growth has Mike actually had in the past year or so? I don’t think RIR or RPE is useful at all for people who aren’t somewhat advanced and know their body well because how do you really know how many reps you had left?
    I was doing Db incline and thought I had about 1 rep left it was hard and painful, well I cranked out 5 more. So if I would’ve stopped on a perceived rpe of 9 or rir of 1 I would actually been cheating myself out of 5 reps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ds3317 View Post
      Well I completed a 12 weeks 6 day a week Meadows program which was brutal and after a week off I started DC so I tend to stay in the dark place training. I think effort is the primary driver of growth. If someone is always stopping before failure how many effective reps are they really hitting? How much growth has Mike actually had in the past year or so? I don’t think RIR or RPE is useful at all for people who aren’t somewhat advanced and know their body well because how do you really know how many reps you had left?
      I was doing Db incline and thought I had about 1 rep left it was hard and painful, well I cranked out 5 more. So if I would’ve stopped on a perceived rpe of 9 or rir of 1 I would actually been cheating myself out of 5 reps.
      This ^ . Nice post.

Unless you really know what you are capable of, it is too hard to say that you can kick back and do X amount of reps below failure.

I understand what he is advocating with leaving reps in the tank (max recovery) but you could be full recovered all of the time and not grow simply from a lack of providing enough stimulus FOR growth, too. Personally, I would rather error on the side of training too hard so that I knew I wasn't being a pussy and missing out of gains from purely an effort standpoint. From there, you can back off if you aren't progressing as you believe you should be. I have trained too long to be able to go into the gym and do half-assed sets. I would be embarrassed to be seen training like that.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Working...
      X