Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomp advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recomp advice

    what's going on everyone!
    New to the forum here.
    Very happy to be part of it.


    Anyways onto the question - What do you guys think of recomping rather than cutting?
    My plan is to get down to 10% BF from around 15-17% while making progress and packing on mass, primarily as I'm planning on competing soon.
    As my max cycle dose I'm planning on running 400 Test and 300 Tren.

    Recomp will look something like this - Fasted Cardio 4 - 5 x per week 40 mins, In a 200 cal surplus will be adjusted accordingly, no carbs prior to sleep.
    Recomp would last around 16 weeks... Unless I make fast progress.


    Thanks

  • #2
    It just depends on how lean you want to get vs. how lean you are right now. When you recomp, you typically won't get as lean as fast as if you are primarily focussed on only cutting. I believe that recomping is the best option because it is the best of both worlds -- cutting and growing. You just need to be patient because the progress isn't as obvious week to week.

    Skip


    Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle


    For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

    Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BigDawg View Post
      what's going on everyone!
      New to the forum here.
      Very happy to be part of it.


      Anyways onto the question - What do you guys think of recomping rather than cutting?
      My plan is to get down to 10% BF from around 15-17% while making progress and packing on mass, primarily as I'm planning on competing soon.
      As my max cycle dose I'm planning on running 400 Test and 300 Tren.

      Recomp will look something like this - Fasted Cardio 4 - 5 x per week 40 mins, In a 200 cal surplus will be adjusted accordingly, no carbs prior to sleep.
      Recomp would last around 16 weeks... Unless I make fast progress.


      Thanks
      Im of the same thought I prefer putting on lean quality muscle over time instead of massive yo-yo'ing up and down every year..
      personally I just love the look and feel of being relatively lean with decently full muscle bellies year round.

      Comment


      • #4
        Interesting ... so you basically Gona eat at maintenance level or 200-300 kcal above that and ‘grow’ muscle while burning your own body fat but pretty much staying at the same bodywheigt yes..?

        would this be a good approach also for a 4-6 week period in the middle of a bulking phase in order to restore insulin sensitivity while keeping bodywheight stable before pushing up again ??

        maybe skip could offer his opinion also!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bill2 View Post
          Interesting ... so you basically Gona eat at maintenance level or 200-300 kcal above that and ‘grow’ muscle while burning your own body fat but pretty much staying at the same bodywheigt yes..?

          would this be a good approach also for a 4-6 week period in the middle of a bulking phase in order to restore insulin sensitivity while keeping bodywheight stable before pushing up again ??

          maybe skip could offer his opinion also!!
          Eating at maintenance for the muscle you carry (and a little extra to support growth) but not maintenance for your TOTAL body weight because that would be taking into account your body fat levels, too.

          This could work in the middle of a bulking phase if your bulking phase means gaining muscle and body fat at the same time because calories are too high. Yes, this would definitely be a good move but an even better move is not to "bulk" in the first place and instead go over clean gains while staying leaner and healthier.

          I am just not a proponent of forcing body weight up over time if most of what you are gaining is body fat.

          Skip


          Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle


          For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

          Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

          Comment


          • #6
            What do you mean by recomping? Staying the same body weight and losing fat while simultaneously gaining muscle?
            I’d be interested to see it actually done. I see people post client and self “recomp” pics. But the recomp pics are always a cut. I could see an actual recomp working 2times in a normal persons life, when the first start training and when they start taking steroids. For someone more experienced unless you’re Kevin Levrone I think you’ll end up spinning your wheels.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ds3317 View Post
              What do you mean by recomping? Staying the same body weight and losing fat while simultaneously gaining muscle?
              I’d be interested to see it actually done. I see people post client and self “recomp” pics. But the recomp pics are always a cut. I could see an actual recomp working 2times in a normal persons life, when the first start training and when they start taking steroids. For someone more experienced unless you’re Kevin Levrone I think you’ll end up spinning your wheels.
              You can take that position but I have done it with clients and so have many other prep guys who are good at what they do. Are the results dramatic, often? No, not everyone can recomp enough to make changes that are obvious but it most certainly is more common than a lot of people think it is -- and you don't have to be Kevin Levrone to do it. EG: I have had contest prep phases where the client starts and ends their prep by changing their body weight less than 5 pounds.

              Now, if you are saying that the OP will likely not be able to get to 10% from 15-17% in a 16-week phase, I would have to agree with that. The only way that is likely is if he has not been on gear for a very long period of time and/or has not trained for a long period of time and is coming back to the gym after a layoff. 16 weeks of building enough muscle to offset a drop of 5-7% body fat is not likely for most people.

              Skip


              Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle


              For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

              Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

                I have done it with clients and so have many other prep guys who are good at what they do.

                Skip

                I think this is the biggest thing for OP to consider. It can be done and has may times, however its not easy to have a successful recomp if you don't have experience with it. I have tried multiple times over the years on my own and maybe I was just too impatient but always ended up just moving to a cut phase instead because I would always seem to just hit a stall place where I wasn't gaining any strength or getting any leaner.

                I can say at the moment I am having success with a recomp but it is much like what skip described. Took almost a year off from gym with the covid shut downs and got fat. Back in the gym hard now, cleaned up diet, and back on more than trt and my weight has been at 230 last 2 months but visibly leaner and strength is climbing back up while weight has been within a couple pounds. .

                6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post


                  I think this is the biggest thing for OP to consider. It can be done and has may times, however its not easy to have a successful recomp if you don't have experience with it. I have tried multiple times over the years on my own and maybe I was just too impatient but always ended up just moving to a cut phase instead because I would always seem to just hit a stall place where I wasn't gaining any strength or getting any leaner.

                  I can say at the moment I am having success with a recomp but it is much like what skip described. Took almost a year off from gym with the covid shut downs and got fat. Back in the gym hard now, cleaned up diet, and back on more than trt and my weight has been at 230 last 2 months but visibly leaner and strength is climbing back up while weight has been within a couple pounds. .
                  Good to see you posting!

                  Skip


                  Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle


                  For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

                  Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X