Intermediate program. Entering the high intensity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermediate program. Entering the high intensity

I am an intermediate lifter and my idea with this routine is to start intensifying my workouts. I seek advice on possible modifications to the routine.

Upper / lower Division:

Upper 1

Bench Press 3-25
    Supported Row 3-25
    Delt Dumbells Press 2-8 / 10
    Supinated Pulldown 2-8 / 10
    Bicep Curl 2-10 / 12

Legs 1
    Squat 1-4 / 8; 2-8 / 12
    Rdl 2-8 / 10
    Split Smith Machine 3-8 / 10
    Femoral curl 2-10 / 12
    Standing calf raise machine 4-8 / 10

Torso 2
    Military Press 2-25
    Pull Ups 3-6 / 8
    Weighted push-ups 3-8 / 10
    Prone rowing machine 2-8 / 10
    Overhead triceps extension 2-10 / 12

Legs 2
    DL 1-6 / 8
    Hack Squat 3-8 / 10
    Hip Thrust 2-8 / 10
    Femoral Curl 1-15
    seated calf machine 3-10 / 12

Basically in the bench press, supported row, military press, femoral curl (lower2), I make a progression based on a goal of total repetitions, when I arrive I add 5lbs and I start again. In the squat (lower 1), I have one top set and two back off sets.

This routine is intended to be an initiation or introduction to get used to giving it everything and being more intense but I would like you to tell me any suggestions. Thank you

Originally posted by raulgaro2903 View Post
    I am an intermediate lifter and my idea with this routine is to start intensifying my workouts. I seek advice on possible modifications to the routine.

Upper / lower Division:

Upper 1

Bench Press 3-25
    Supported Row 3-25
    Delt Dumbells Press 2-8 / 10
    Supinated Pulldown 2-8 / 10
    Bicep Curl 2-10 / 12

Legs 1
    Squat 1-4 / 8; 2-8 / 12
    Rdl 2-8 / 10
    Split Smith Machine 3-8 / 10
    Femoral curl 2-10 / 12
    Standing calf raise machine 4-8 / 10

Torso 2
    Military Press 2-25
    Pull Ups 3-6 / 8
    Weighted push-ups 3-8 / 10
    Prone rowing machine 2-8 / 10
    Overhead triceps extension 2-10 / 12

Legs 2
    DL 1-6 / 8
    Hack Squat 3-8 / 10
    Hip Thrust 2-8 / 10
    Femoral Curl 1-15
    seated calf machine 3-10 / 12

Basically in the bench press, supported row, military press, femoral curl (lower2), I make a progression based on a goal of total repetitions, when I arrive I add 5lbs and I start again. In the squat (lower 1), I have one top set and two back off sets.

This routine is intended to be an initiation or introduction to get used to giving it everything and being more intense but I would like you to tell me any suggestions. Thank you
    An upper/lower split has been a pretty solid one for people who need a bit more frequency & to overall keep more blood in the muscle. Happy to see that it's still alive and well for some. Only thing I would do is question you on the exercise selection & order of things. What makes you pick these certain exercises? Also, why are you working in the 25 rep range? Not saying either are bad, I think intensity is the true outlier when it comes to muscle growth. But just to critically think--what is the why behind the selections?

When I finally started to understand intensity, my coach at the time moved me to a PPL split DC style with rest pause sets & a bit of auto regulation & metabolic work. This helped me truly understand where I needed to be in terms of intensity and understanding that total volume didn't need to be crazy high.

Not sure if that helps, just more-so posting this for conversation!

Comment

Originally posted by teamD View Post

An upper/lower split has been a pretty solid one for people who need a bit more frequency & to overall keep more blood in the muscle. Happy to see that it's still alive and well for some. Only thing I would do is question you on the exercise selection & order of things. What makes you pick these certain exercises? Also, why are you working in the 25 rep range? Not saying either are bad, I think intensity is the true outlier when it comes to muscle growth. But just to critically think--what is the why behind the selections?

When I finally started to understand intensity, my coach at the time moved me to a PPL split DC style with rest pause sets & a bit of auto regulation & metabolic work. This helped me truly understand where I needed to be in terms of intensity and understanding that total volume didn't need to be crazy high.

Well I really think that the selection of exercises in my program makes a sense. First, they are all exercises that I have done and I know how to do them in a more correct way, I feel comfortable doing them and they motivate me. for example, I try to remove the greatest possible load from the lumbar region by making the rows with support so as not to have interference with the hip hinges. I want to keep the squat until I see that they put a lot of load on my lower back and interfere too much with the hinges, after which I would switch to Hack Squat and on the lower day 2 I would put a front squat in multipower. The bench press and in the others where I put 25 is not at that point but a total objective of representatives, for example in bench press I would do 10reps, 8reps, 7 reps that add up to 25 and then add 5lbs and restart, the objective with this type of Progression is learning to perform high intensity in order to gradually continue increasing the intensity while reducing volume very slowly and progressively when my level rises
      Last edited by raulgaro2903; 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by teamD View Post

Apart from the selection of exercises, any ideas? I would make it more intense or to start with is fine

Comment

Originally posted by raulgaro2903 View Post

Apart from the selection of exercises, any ideas? I would make it more intense or to start with is fine
          Look into the section on this site where it talks about DC training. Honestly that's where I truly started to understand what intensity meant. Id try and explain it here but to be honest it wouldn't make as much sense as me just referring you to the forum page

Comment

Working...
          X