When to add in the skipload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to add in the skipload?

So, as newbie ish as this question sounds, I actually have used Skiploads before and have some experience with skiploading, but am trying to figure out how to use it optimally here in light of (what I understand the prevailing logic to be) the idea that the skipload is really to replenish glycogen when depleted.

For reference, 6' 235#, ~12-15% bf at present, about a week and a half into prep diet, have dropped 7 lbs so far. Strength has been up in bb ranges (and granted I switched from a strength block to a hypertrophy block, so some of that may be neural adaptations to the 8-15 rep range to be fair). Generally feel pretty hungry and reasonably tired. Pumps are ok, but not great. Macros are 300p/270c/70f on 4 training days, 270p/180c/70f on 2 training days and 300p/140c/100f on off days (this far)

I'm debating between adding a skipload this week, despite the fact that it isn't "necessary" in that while I am getting depleted, I am not weakening or failing to lose weight yet and waiting until I actually hitv strength plateau or weight loss plateau. I am tempted to hold off as long as possible to maximize short term progress, but I wonder if the better mood is to add the skipload now to maximize longer term progress across the prep by "feeding the fire" under the same logic as keeping calories as high as possible as long as possible in prep.

What are your approaches to this? Add the skipload as early as possible and adjust if weight doesn't drop? Or hold off as long as possible?

​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

Based on the information you provided, I would add in a small skipload this weekend and evaluate how you respond from there. If you respond well, you can keep it in and possibly even increase it. If you don't respond well, pull it the load out and get more depleted. I think you would be better off doing a load and evaluating vs. not doing one and waiting too long.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks Skip, that was where I was leaning. Makes sense to try it and see if I can baseline. Hope all is going well with the hip

Comment

Originally posted by Ganggreen View Post
        Thanks Skip, that was where I was leaning. Makes sense to try it and see if I can baseline. Hope all is going well with the hip
        Thank you!
        I am progressing well. 6 more weeks of recovery and I think I can start squatting and leg pressing again.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

As an update: I did throw in the skipload last week on an off day (Weds). Got below baseline around Monday then weight bounced up and down until today when I did my second skipload. A good reminder not to be too "hardcore" to do what is actually best.

Comment

Skip, i figured I'd ask on this thread instead of starting new. When transitioning from massing to cutting or vice versa do you adjust calories and keep the load where you ended that phase, or do you reset the load to a smaller window. For instance, I am currently in maintenence and have worked up to a 12 hour load that has me hitting my baseline weight 2 days later. If i decide to cut further, would you start the load back to smaller window or just drop calories and keep the 12 hour load I worked up to.

Comment

Keep the load time the same. Don't cut it back.

Skip

Comment

Working...
              X