Cream of Rice: what’s all the hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cream of Rice: what’s all the hype?

picked up a box of this at the super market. Made in microwave following instructions. Some cinnamon some salt.......

it was very gross. Would rather eat regular rice or rice cakes. Can someone aware me on the hype of this?

I love it and it's a staple for me. You may have to play around with the cooking directions. If cooked too long or with the wrong amount of water it becomes thick like a paste and I hate it that way. It also sucks to stir. I add almond butter to mine and prefer it more on the grainy/grittier side. 1/3 cup of the rice and about one cup of water microwaved for a minute will produce this texture.

There's no real hype other than it digests easily. I'm someone that hates and doesn't react well to oatmeal, so cream of rice and oat bran are my alternatives.

The hype right now is the organic version by Pride Foods called Rice 'N Grinds. Are organic foods better? Sure, but not everyone has the budget to be so meticulous about every damn thing. They even advertise their product by saying "stop buying 37 boxes of Cream of Rice." Any company that has to lambast their competition is childish in my opinion. Especially when they're criticizing the size and cost of the product when their own is not better when you do the math and factor in shipping.

Comment

its a staple for me as well d/t the digestability for me

If your diet allows, add a tbsp of peanut butter, and can even blend in some bananas and drizzle with sugar free chocolate syrup

I personally do 40 grams measured dry with 3/4 cup water,,, heat 60 sec, mix in PB and cinnamon and stevia if needed, and reheat 60 sec mix it for a bit and the texture should be perfect

Comment

I will go on record and say that I don't like it and I don't usually allow my clients to use it. It's a processed carb so it is going to digest well -- so do rice chex. lol

It digests too quickly and that is why I don't consider it a great carb food unless on a high-carb day, refeed or Skipload day.

I am not talking anyone out of using it. I am just saying that I don't prefer it and I have found that it is quite common in a lot of diets the last few years and I have no idea why.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

As everyone else said, it's all about how easy it digests. It's a staple of mine when I'm pushing carb intake and/or as part of my preWO meal. My favorite way to eat it is with PB and sugar free chocolate syrup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            I will go on record and say that I don't like it and I don't usually allow my clients to use it. It's a processed carb so it is going to digest well -- so do rice chex. lol

It digests too quickly and that is why I don't consider it a great carb food unless on a high-carb day, refeed or Skipload day.

I am not talking anyone out of using it. I am just saying that I don't prefer it and I have found that it is quite common in a lot of diets the last few years and I have no idea why.

Skip
            I like Rice Chex . Different flavors too.

There was a big big hype about this and how some supermarket don’t have it and having to order online.

Comment

Originally posted by intheflesh View Post
              There was a big big hype about this and how some supermarket don’t have it and having to order online.
              Yeah, only a couple grocery stores around me sell it and the ones that do have it in their "gluten free" section.

Comment

Every time I’ve tried to make it I’ve ended up throwing most of it in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
                  John Meadows uses cream of rice in his pre-workout 'concoction bowl' and I imagine as his notoriety took off (and continues to do so) 'we' see more people following his methods as well as any dietary info he puts out there. That's just a guess as to why cream of rice is used more; I don't recalling seeing it used as a meal in this 'world' before reading/listening to his vids, etc.

Originally posted by arowback View Post
                  As everyone else said, it's all about how easy it digests. It's a staple of mine when I'm pushing carb intake and/or as part of my preWO meal. My favorite way to eat it is with PB and sugar free chocolate syrup.
                  As an example....The above, cream of rice w/ sugar free chocolate syrup is exactly how Meadows put together the aforementioned 'concoction bowl' (or has in the past).

I've tried it as well and found it to be actually pretty good before the gym (with PB and syrup). You have to get the mixture down (water to cream of rice) or it's damn mess. I don't know about not being able to find in the store as I've never had an issue, but you can get it off Amazon as well (I'm sure other retailers too).

-s
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post

John Meadows uses cream of rice in his pre-workout 'concoction bowl' and I imagine as his notoriety took off (and continues to do so) 'we' see more people following his methods as well as any dietary info he puts out there. That's just a guess as to why cream of rice is used more; I don't recalling seeing it used as a meal in this 'world' before reading/listening to his vids, etc.

As an example....The above, cream of rice w/ sugar free chocolate syrup is exactly how Meadows put together the aforementioned 'concoction bowl' (or has in the past).

I've tried it as well and found it to be actually pretty good before the gym (with PB and syrup). You have to get the mixture down (water to cream of rice) or it's damn mess. I don't know about not being able to find in the store as I've never had an issue, but you can get it off Amazon as well (I'm sure other retailers too).

-s
                    Understood. That makes sense. However, John has some digestive issues and is limited on the amount of food he can ingest, too. This would mean that he would need or benefit more from having his meals be more "concentrated" with more carbs in a smaller volume of food. I am not saying what he is doing is wrong as much as those carbs are fast-acting and not many of us have the metabolism that John does. lol

I am also not a "fake syrup" fan but that's for another thread.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                    Instagram: @intensemuscle
                    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

.Try it with this next time and you may never go back to the sugar free chocolate syrup again..

I
                      "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                      2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                      2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                      2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                      2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                      2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Its granulated rice and digest easy. Its nothing special. Its fine to use but if you use a brand that is fortified with iron, id limit the use to once per day or not even every day for that matter. Bodybuilding diets are already high in iron in most cases so I don't really like people pounding fortified foods. Outside of that, its fine. If you don't like it, don't eat. Nothing special about it.

Comment

The only time I ever ate it was post workout because honestly it's a large amount of food so I'd mix egg whites in it and just ate it with some stevia and cinnamon. It didn't taste amazing but I felt like it was a lot of food so it filled me and it obviously was digested quickly but other than that, it really isn't special.

Comment

Some of the younger pros made it into a cool kid thing with their social media. Says the old grouch.
                            2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                            2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                            2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                            2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                            2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Yea, it works real well for Meadows because he had his colon removed...not saying that is the only reason he eats it, but probably a lot easier to digest on his system. If i get the ratio correct like others mentioned, I like COR, but I also handle oats well, and they are a lot cheaper, so I just stick with them most of the time. Since i'm not a huge vege eater, the added fiber is a bonus for me. Also, I smother my oats with a few squeezes of Smucker's sugar free caramel sauce. Not the only way I eat them, but it's my current gig, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X