Home gym: Leg press or Hack Squat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home gym: Leg press or Hack Squat?

Hey everyone, wanted to ask for your opinions on this.

If you had access to put either a good quality leg press or hack squat for your home gym which would you choose and why?

I'd go leg press if for no other reason my knees don't always agree with the hack squat. I do have a combination leg press/Hack in my home gym. I haven't used the hack in years.
    It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

I swear I used to go to a gym that had a leg press/hack squat combo; where you could move the press plate to wear the back is (and then stand on); and the backing for the hack and then insert the hooyahs for the hack squat. If you could find that piece of gear (I probably last saw that like 20 years ago).

I actually love both; but given a choice, I'd go for leg press as I just seem to use that more in the gym. I started using bands on the hack (actually on both) and that seems to have helped my save my knees a bit.

-s
      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

I have an older model of this that I bought in 2005.

https://www.nlfit.com/strength/free-...at-nllphs.html

Comment

thank you for your answers guys!

@ FK86, man that is a really nice hybrid combo, was it pretty durable and comfortable for you?

Comment

*I'd* probably go with the hack because it is my fave. I always get out of it feeling like I just did a spin on a tilt-a-whirl. I also feel safer on it than a leg press. I have had to crawl out of both but the hack was a lot less scary.

Somehow the leg press seems more practical to me though, like you could do a wider variety of exercises with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilZen View Post
              thank you for your answers guys!

@ FK86, man that is a really nice hybrid combo, was it pretty durable and comfortable for you?
              The rubber padding for the seat and shoulder pads could've been more comfortable, but it got the job done. I bought that when I was 19 and had never been to a commercial gym yet, so there was nothing to compare it to. I like it and want to use it again, but still don't want to enter my parents house yet.

Comment

My choice would be the hack squat. I prefer bigger quads over a larger ass and hamstrings. lol

You also need at least twice as many plates with the leg press as you would a hack, too.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: @intensemuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                  My choice would be the hack squat. I prefer bigger quads over a larger ass and hamstrings. lol

You also need at least twice as many plates with the leg press as you would a hack, too.

Skip
                  Really good points Skip, especially the part about the ass/hamstrings hahaha

p.s. buying plates is a bitch and gets expensive QUICK

Comment

I have a leg press/hack combo at home (Body Solid) and there are a bunch of them out there if you look. In general though, whichever feels best to you because you can always vary stance to train different parts of the leg.

Personally, I prefer a leg press. I just vary stance to train the desired muscle. Either will get the job done though.

Comment

nice Datas, the price point is really nice too. How was the installation process for you? Does it feel sturdy enough?

Comment

I used squat bands, it's a great exercise for the legs. there are many options. I also ordered a trainer for different muscle groups, which also helped. For now, I go to the gym, then what is possible, but I hope to train only at home.

Comment

If you have the money go for a hack squat and then you might as well go for the combo. But if you are like me and don’t have the money get a “barbell strap” a dip belt and a power rack and your good. The barbell strap loops around the bar and then around your back so you don’t need to hold the bar for stiff leg dead , front squat, and even hack deadlift (I can’t do without this device) which is a great quad variation to duplicate hack press. If you attach a dip belt to the barbell strap you also take out the lower back wear and tear on all squat variations. This device does sometimes decrease range of motion and takes practise but if used with a power rack can eliminate the need for many machines. It cost 75 bucks Canadian.

Comment

Working...
                          X