Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you doing with Gym Closures from COVID-19?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing with Gym Closures from COVID-19?

It is here, COVID-19 aka Coronavirus. Not sure everyones situation is, but for many the gyms are closed. My gyms are closed and even community rinky dink gym. What are you doing during this time? Exercises at home? Make shift exercises?

What is your "home" exercise plan during this time?

A few I seen over the years for those without equipment are:
    • bodyweight push ups
    • close grip push ups
    • big water jug single arm rows bent over rows
    • big water jug bodyweight squats and lunges
    • canned goods lateral raises
    • water jug curls extensions
    • edge of the bed, heavy mattress overhead presses
    FYI a gallon of water is roughly 8 lbs.

The 3 gallon one with the handle is around 22ish lbs.

If you want to tie jugs together, you can use a belt to slowly increase the weight by 8 lbs per gallon then maybe do some upright rows etc.

Haven't seen anything from the Toilet Paper Hoarding masses on ideas yet. Good luck and stay safe everyone!
    Last edited by intheflesh; 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM.

I have a home gym, so I'm not affected. But great metabolite training can be achieved with lighter loads and bodyweight. Really only limited by imagination in many ways. Also, maybe find a park nearby that has stuff that kids play on. Single leg squat type moves and single leg toe raises, it's quite a bit of resistance. Go for the burn, very short(as in 10 seconds or less) rest periods. Have a goal of say 100 reps total, working up to that with short rests until that is reached. If you can get a rope, through it around a tree branch. Curls with bodyweight, rows, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by intheflesh View Post
      It is here, COVID-19 aka Coronavirus. Not sure everyones situation is, but for many the gyms are closed. My gyms are closed and even community rinky dink gym. What are you doing during this time? Exercises at home? Make shift exercises?

What is your "home" exercise plan during this time?

A few I seen over the years for those without equipment are:
      • bodyweight push ups
      • close grip push ups
      • big water jug single arm rows bent over rows
      • big water jug bodyweight squats and lunges
      • canned goods lateral raises
      • water jug curls extensions
      • edge of the bed, heavy mattress overhead presses
      FYI a gallon of water is roughly 8 lbs.

The 3 gallon one with the handle is around 22ish lbs.

If you want to tie jugs together, you can use a belt to slowly increase the weight by 8 lbs per gallon then maybe do some upright rows etc.

Haven't seen anything from the Toilet Paper Hoarding masses on ideas yet. Good luck and stay safe everyone!
      What state are you located in? I am in Massachusetts and no gyms are closed YET. But my kids school just closed for two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_reilly View Post

what state are you located in? I am in massachusetts and no gyms are closed yet. But my kids school just closed for two weeks.
        fl.

Comment

Originally posted by intheflesh View Post

fl.
          My friend trained at redcon gym in Boca today, Wonder if there is something you could find in driving distance thats open?

Comment

I have a couple of gyms that simply will not close no matter what. One of them is Iron Temple Gym in Miami. It is a key-card gym open 24/7 and the owner has been doing videos of him spraying everything several times per day. I'm not too worried about my situation, to be honest. I do think that commercial gyms are going to close at some point, though.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              I have a couple of gyms that simply will not close no matter what. One of them is Iron Temple Gym in Miami. It is a key-card gym open 24/7 and the owner has been doing videos of him spraying everything several times per day. I'm not too worried about my situation, to be honest. I do think that commercial gyms are going to close at some point, though.

Skip
              That’s really good. I got notice our community gym was closed entirely because of corona. Then local gym reduced hours. Other gyms closed and the ones that are open are the ones that were never cleaned to begin with.... high risk area there.

Comment

I'm in Spain ATM, and they just instituted a general curfew and closed down all non-essential services. Only certain grocery stores, pharmacies etc are allowed to remain open, and gyms are obviously closed.

Fortunately I've been already doing 1-2 workouts a week at home with bands or TRX, so I can just continue doing that. It's not enough to BUILD muscle, but certainly good enough to maintain. I have a full 404 lbs Bodylastics resistance band set, and some old Norwegian copy of a TRX. I can train everything using those and bodyweight.
                Last edited by U-Hulk; 03-15-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

IF my gym closes (and I don't think it will), I will drive to find another one that is staying open. Either that or solicit people to use their home gyms. I don't have anyone in my close circle who has one, but maybe an acquaintance out there... if that fails, I'll rely on good ole military-style calisthenics to get me through.

Comment

Well, fuck. Turns out things WILL be shutting down tomorrow, per order of the governor, through the end of the month. Statewide.

I'm wondering whether the military base gym will be open. Time to start soliciting acquaintances.

Comment

I got an e-mail from my gym last night saying they made the decision to close all locations nationwide. It's honestly for the best. Even putting a one or two week chokehold on this can reduce the spread.

My home gym is still intact at my parent's house and they said I could use it if I wanted to. However, both of them are over 65 and I couldn't live with myself if I potentially brought something into their home. I'm opting to not train right now and just stay on my diet. We'll see how things unfold over this week. I'll go there if things start to improve.

Comment

Found out this morning my gym is closed through Thursday for sure and they will make decision then if it will be longer, Really I am due for a deload so just trying to see the positives in it. I guess I will break out my old mountain bike and just try to get in some fun activity while this is going on.
                        6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                        1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Here is southern France, schools, bars, restaurants, gyms and anything non essential are all closed till further notice,
                          Exercise bands, and body weight stuff just to do something is all I have. Just have to wait and see. My guess is at least 2 weeks.
                          Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

i am doing some creative shit with some 40lb bands i got and a dismantlable 40kg/82lb dumbell, would you guys be interested if i write my log through those couple of weeks, if you guys are interested i will put it up and its not the same content as stuff online.

Comment

State of Ohio Governor just ordered all fitness centers to close. Sigh.

LIFT BIG, EAT BIG, BE BIG

Comment

Working...
                              X