Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about experiences training your kids

Hello Friends. It's been awhile...

I have 10 and 12 year old boys. 4th and 6th grades. Both are showing interest in dabbling in weights at our YMCA. Curious what ages those with actual knowledge of this would recommend to be safe and if you actually had a plan going in or if you let them freestyle just to try things out.
    To save 5% on your TrueProtein.com purchase, use discount code: DAS235
    --------------------------------------

SUCCESS = CONSISTENCY X TIME
    - Sniffy54

"Consistency can take you a long way"
    - Homonunculus

My two oldest sons were interested. I started them when they were in 7th grade with a simple, basic program. I kept the weights higher and stressed proper form, also mainly compound movements. I let them add their curls and stuff after the main workout.
    When they got to HS I started them on the Bigger, Faster, Stronger football workout. The original, made for HS age athletes. They did great on it.
    It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

My best advice is let them do what they want but get them on tren.

DAFUQ??

DELLSGUY in the house??

I don't get too excited these days about much of anything (I'm old so it's dangerous, too), but I'm glad to see you here!

Every one of my kids has worked out with me at some point. Our youngest daughter probably has put in more time than the others and started younger, as well.

My advice is focus on form/coordination, first. LIGHT WEIGHTS with higher repetitions and FREE weights. Machines don't allow coordination to be built like free weights do. Focus on compound movements first as this not only builds coordination but it works so many more muscles at once that they won't want to go as heavy because they will be out of breath. lol Seriously, it helps to keep them from wanting to go really heavy or "see how strong they are."

Body squats and then holding dumbbells while squatting
      lunges
      rows
      dumbbell presses or bench press or push ups
      Push press
      Ab work

Add isolation movements like curls, triceps pressdowns, lat pulls, etc., as you see fit

In MY experience, I don't believe in "too young," I believe in "too heavy" and "too shitty with form."

I hope you are doing well!

Skip

Originally posted by dellsguy67 View Post
      Hello Friends. It's been awhile...

I have 10 and 12 year old boys. 4th and 6th grades. Both are showing interest in dabbling in weights at our YMCA. Curious what ages those with actual knowledge of this would recommend to be safe and if you actually had a plan going in or if you let them freestyle just to try things out.

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

LOL....tren has overtaken juice boxes on the shopping list for them.

Good call on the lunges and squats. i don't think they can push the 45# bar, so DB's it is. Agree 1000% on avoiding machines initially.

I wish i could say i was doing great, but life has been challenging for me for some time. As always, i'm trying to fight through it and be better.

Love you too, Skip
        To save 5% on your TrueProtein.com purchase, use discount code: DAS235

SUCCESS = CONSISTENCY X TIME
        - Sniffy54

"Consistency can take you a long way"
        - Homonunculus

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
          My best advice is let them do what they want but get them on tren.
          And there you have it folks; Skip's whole program condensed to one sentence. LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dens228 View Post
            My two oldest sons were interested. I started them when they were in 7th grade with a simple, basic program. I kept the weights higher and stressed proper form, also mainly compound movements. I let them add their curls and stuff after the main workout.
            When they got to HS I started them on the Bigger, Faster, Stronger football workout. The original, made for HS age athletes. They did great on it.
            I loved and I mean loved that program when I was in High School. We all ate like pigs, slept like babies, and made some of the best gains of my life. Great program!
            "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit." Jim Wendler

check out my journal!
            http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43270

Comment

Originally posted by killiansred View Post

I loved and I mean loved that program when I was in High School. We all ate like pigs, slept like babies, and made some of the best gains of my life. Great program!
              Another blast from the past! Good to see you here!

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Another blast from the past! Good to see you here!

Skip
                Thanks skip. I don’t post on forums much anymore but I saw your email saying you were relaunching the site and I couldn’t resist. Always loved browsing this forum and look forward to lurking around. I was in my 20s when I first starting posting here. Damn that was a long time ago ????
                "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit." Jim Wendler

check out my journal!
                http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43270

Comment

It's scary how fast the time goes. I turn 50 in a few weeks. FML.

Skip

Originally posted by killiansred View Post

Thanks skip. I don’t post on forums much anymore but I saw your email saying you were relaunching the site and I couldn’t resist. Always loved browsing this forum and look forward to lurking around. I was in my 20s when I first starting posting here. Damn that was a long time ago ????

Comment

It's scary how fast the time goes. I turn 50 in a few weeks. FML.

Skip

I remember turning 50.,,,,, barely......lol
                    It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

Working...
                    X