X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    No worries about the slow response.

It's cool that you still have the IM shirt! I have 2 left and still pull them out once in a while for a training session, too!

Skip

Originally posted by honeymonster View Post
    Hi Skip,

Only just seen your reply sorry. I have done 8 weeks back in and on a week off now to give my self chance to recover. Still a miles off where I was but strength and size is coming back not too slowly. I am kind of half way housing the diet as I am still trying to drop fat %. I have been keeping protein high with moderate carbs (enough to sustain a workout) and fats moderate but not low as do not want to hinder hormone production. With still trying to cut bodyfat I am happy to gain slower for now and then increase calories slowly once happy with my body fat to go after my usual sticking point that my genetics and natural test levels hold me to, which I can live with. I am recovering fairly well so far it seems and intend to keep blasts shortish to be sauce, it may also be that my loads are still below what they would of been prior, even though volume has been the same so not taxing my cns and pushing beyond my muscles ability to recovery. The last couple of weeks I have found myself doing a sort of bastardised DC/Myo programme, using the DC split but with slightly less pauses during my rest pause sets and usually 4 failure points instead of 3, aiming for a minimum total of 20 reps before upping weight and no less than 15. I liked the look of Scotts Fortitude training as well and always found him to be helpful on the forum but I have done DC for so long and found it a good balance of stress, frequency and progressive overload to see steady improvements that I went back to what I know works for me. This time round my knees are not liking it at all though, which may require me to focus on higher reps to avoid future issues but all other niggly past injuries seem to be staying away for now so cannot moan. Sleep is definitely something I need to make more effort with but after having kids and working opposite shifts to my partner too most of the time, sleep was not as easy to achieve in large doses lol. This was also 1 of the reasons I have been away for so long too. A 24 hour gym has opened near my now so I had no excuses not to get back in and have fell straight back in love with it, which makes me wonder how I ever stayed away so long.

ps I need to route out my old team skip tee's as cannot find it after my gym lay off, especially the red 1 as it was 1 of my favourites and have had since like '09/'10.

Thanks again for your input and apologies for the late reply but after a few days with no replies I thought the forum may of slowed down on activity and thought my post has been buried by now.

Leave a comment:

• honeymonster
    replied
    Hi Skip,

Only just seen your reply sorry. I have done 8 weeks back in and on a week off now to give my self chance to recover. Still a miles off where I was but strength and size is coming back not too slowly. I am kind of half way housing the diet as I am still trying to drop fat %. I have been keeping protein high with moderate carbs (enough to sustain a workout) and fats moderate but not low as do not want to hinder hormone production. With still trying to cut bodyfat I am happy to gain slower for now and then increase calories slowly once happy with my body fat to go after my usual sticking point that my genetics and natural test levels hold me to, which I can live with. I am recovering fairly well so far it seems and intend to keep blasts shortish to be sauce, it may also be that my loads are still below what they would of been prior, even though volume has been the same so not taxing my cns and pushing beyond my muscles ability to recovery. The last couple of weeks I have found myself doing a sort of bastardised DC/Myo programme, using the DC split but with slightly less pauses during my rest pause sets and usually 4 failure points instead of 3, aiming for a minimum total of 20 reps before upping weight and no less than 15. I liked the look of Scotts Fortitude training as well and always found him to be helpful on the forum but I have done DC for so long and found it a good balance of stress, frequency and progressive overload to see steady improvements that I went back to what I know works for me. This time round my knees are not liking it at all though, which may require me to focus on higher reps to avoid future issues but all other niggly past injuries seem to be staying away for now so cannot moan. Sleep is definitely something I need to make more effort with but after having kids and working opposite shifts to my partner too most of the time, sleep was not as easy to achieve in large doses lol. This was also 1 of the reasons I have been away for so long too. A 24 hour gym has opened near my now so I had no excuses not to get back in and have fell straight back in love with it, which makes me wonder how I ever stayed away so long.

ps I need to route out my old team skip tee's as cannot find it after my gym lay off, especially the red 1 as it was 1 of my favourites and have had since like '09/'10.

Thanks again for your input and apologies for the late reply but after a few days with no replies I thought the forum may of slowed down on activity and thought my post has been buried by now.

Leave a comment:

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by honeymonster View Post
    It has been a long time since I have been onto the forum and nearly as long since I have lifted. 2.5-3 years of zero lifting to be honest. Although I did not use PEDs, I did build some good muscle mass and some decent strength over the best part of 2 decades that of course have mostly been lost during this period. I am 5 weeks back in to lifting and seeing some improvements in strenfth and size but I am of course lightyears away from where I was before the break. My main concern is as I am closing in on my mid 30's I am going to struggle to regain the lost mass and strength now. With this being my 1st ever break beyond the odd week here and there and never really planning to stop, I am totally unaware of how much can be recouped via muscle memory and of course progressively improving my lifts with enough calories and protein. Have any of you had experience with longish lay offs and muscle memory? Preferably without PED use as of course age and test levels are not the same concern when you are taking in above normal range of test for any age man. Rightly or wrongly after the 1st week just getting back into lifting again and letting my muscles get a good warm up week, I dived straight back in to DC training for the last 4 weeks as I used that for the last few years before the break and found I responded well to it.

Any input and advice will be much appreciated, especially information on how you went on after a break from lifting.

Thanks.
    Even though that is quite a while to be out of the gym, you aren't that old so even without PEDs, I would not say that you are screwed or that you can't regain what you had attained prior. It will certainly take some time and you will need to be sure that you are recovering well, especially at first, because your recovery ability is going to not be very good. I would have recommended against going straight into DC training because it is likely too intense for your recovery abilities but... that's like telling a kid not to eat candy. lol

Obviously, your diet will need to be tight and efficient and things like sleep, etc.. You will need to be sure that you maximize your recovery the best you can.

Skip

Leave a comment:

• honeymonster
    started a topic Muscle memory

Muscle memory

It has been a long time since I have been onto the forum and nearly as long since I have lifted. 2.5-3 years of zero lifting to be honest. Although I did not use PEDs, I did build some good muscle mass and some decent strength over the best part of 2 decades that of course have mostly been lost during this period. I am 5 weeks back in to lifting and seeing some improvements in strenfth and size but I am of course lightyears away from where I was before the break. My main concern is as I am closing in on my mid 30's I am going to struggle to regain the lost mass and strength now. With this being my 1st ever break beyond the odd week here and there and never really planning to stop, I am totally unaware of how much can be recouped via muscle memory and of course progressively improving my lifts with enough calories and protein. Have any of you had experience with longish lay offs and muscle memory? Preferably without PED use as of course age and test levels are not the same concern when you are taking in above normal range of test for any age man. Rightly or wrongly after the 1st week just getting back into lifting again and letting my muscles get a good warm up week, I dived straight back in to DC training for the last 4 weeks as I used that for the last few years before the break and found I responded well to it.

Any input and advice will be much appreciated, especially information on how you went on after a break from lifting.

Thanks.
Working...
X