Would this count as periodization & does it have a place in Bodybuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this count as periodization & does it have a place in Bodybuilding

I've been lifting for several years and have usually had two separate routines, which I switch back and forth from. I go 8 weeks on one routine, then take a week off (deload) in order to recover, and then start up my second routine for another 8 weeks. This cycle then continues indefinitely. The only difference in the two routines though is a change in exercises. For example, I'll swap between Back Squats and Front Squats, or perhaps Deadlifts and Rack Pulls, Barbell Bench and Dumbbell Bench etc. I figured this would be enough of a change to prevent stagnation and muscle adaption from occuring as I'm providing a new stimulus for my body to adapt to.

Recently though I've been reading up on periodization, and although it seems to be more for powerlifters, olympic weightlifters and people training for a specific competition in their sport, I figured it may be useful in Bodybuilding. The reason is, when using periodization there is almost an in built method for preventing adaptation due to the different "blocks" provided in the routine which all focus on training in different ways.

If I were to implement some kind of periodization for my training, what would be a good way of doing so, being specific to bodybuilding/hypertrophy, and how long should each "block" last? I.e. how long should I stick with a specific type of training before moving on to the next type? Having looked online, the general consensus is that training blocks in periodization tend to last from 2-4 weeks each before moving on to a different block, although don't hold me to that as I'm by no means an expert, hence this thread. What I've come up with so far is doing a certain block for 4 weeks, consisting of a specific rep range (10-12 for example), followed by a second block which focuses on a different rep range (6-8 perhaps). Would this kind of thing work or would 4 weeks not be long enough to squeeze the benefits out of a specific rep range before moving to a new one?

Thanks for any help and feedback you can provide, it's appreciated.

Here's your answer:

Yes.

Seriously, you are overthinking it.

I have always believed in mixing up anything and everything as much as possible. Some people do this by keeping the same exercises but changing them every 3-4 weeks like you mentioned. I prefer to change them almost every workout. My point is that you can do it ANY way you prefer as there are basically no rules. If you do this in blocks of 3-4 weeks you MIGHT be able to assess better if you are progressing with the same method for that 4 weeks but ... do you really need to assess it? I mean, almost any new stimulus is going to provide the potential for growth. So... mix it up as much as you can.

Skip
    www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
    Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: IntenseMuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thank you very much. Apologies for the delay in responding, but your answer was greatly appreciated. I AM an overthinker when it comes to things like this, but unfortunately I suffer from a specific form of Autism which causes me to overanalyse most things in my life. I don't like to mention it, especially to people online, but times like this I feel it's in my best interest to, so that people can at least understand my reasoning for the way I question everything and overthink things. Then again, as much as I question/overthink everything, actually receiving a simple response to my long drawn out question is usually the best way to answer me, as it prevents me from then overanalyzing the response given to me, so thank you again.

I was actually going to make a completely separate thread for this, but I guess it relates to this thread so I'll post it here and hopefully you can help me out. Quoted below is the thread I was going to make.

Search online for ways to prevent stagnation and/or to break out of a plateau, and nine times out of 10 you'll see the article suggest varying rep ranges in your workouts. That's understandable due to the different stimulus it provides, perhaps moving from something like 6-8 reps up to 10-12 reps. Intensity would be decreased, but volume would be increased, therefore providing a change that may help prevent adaptation and to break out of a plateau.

So my question is, how would one go about utilising this properly in their routine? Would you change the reps of all of your exercises, or just the ones that you're stuck on? Also, what then happens when you go back to the rep range you were using in the first place? Linear periodization comes to mind, and one of the negatives of that is of course the fact that any gains gotten from a specific phase of the routine are lost when going back to it, due to having spent a long period of time NOT training in that specific rep range. For example, moving from a strength phase with lower reps, to a hypertrophy phase with higher reps... Once you go BACK to the strength phase, you're most likely going to be back to square one again due to the gains from the strength phase not having been maintained.

So when people suggest changing your rep range to prevent stagnation and break out of a plateau, there seems to be a bit of a problem in how to properly utilise this method. How do you guys do it? What do you suggest?
      Last edited by Van3; 07-13-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Van3 View Post
        Thank you very much. Apologies for the delay in responding, but your answer was greatly appreciated. I AM an overthinker when it comes to things like this, but unfortunately I suffer from a specific form of Autism which causes me to overanalyse most things in my life. I don't like to mention it, especially to people online, but times like this I feel it's in my best interest to, so that people can at least understand my reasoning for the way I question everything and overthink things. Then again, as much as I question/overthink everything, actually receiving a simple response to my long drawn out question is usually the best way to answer me, as it prevents me from then overanalyzing the response given to me, so thank you again.

I was actually going to make a completely separate thread for this, but I guess it relates to this thread so I'll post it here and hopefully you can help me out. Quoted below is the thread I was going to make.
        You are assuming that as soon as you stop using a specific method of training or a specific rep range, the results go away. That is not the case.

Skip
        www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
        Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: IntenseMuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Van3 View Post
          If I were to implement some kind of periodization for my training, what would be a good way of doing so, being specific to bodybuilding/hypertrophy, and how long should each "block" last? I.e. how long should I stick with a specific type of training before moving on to the next type? Having looked online, the general consensus is that training blocks in periodization tend to last from 2-4 weeks each before moving on to a different block, although don't hold me to that as I'm by no means an expert, hence this thread. What I've come up with so far is doing a certain block for 4 weeks, consisting of a specific rep range (10-12 for example), followed by a second block which focuses on a different rep range (6-8 perhaps). Would this kind of thing work or would 4 weeks not be long enough to squeeze the benefits out of a specific rep range before moving to a new one?

Thanks for any help and feedback you can provide, it's appreciated.
          While I think block periodization is a viable method I don't think it's necessary.
          Basically what it all eventually comes down to is "Are you making progress?". If the answer is Yes you are going into right direction.
          You combine that with a right nutrition and you will build muscle.

Using different rep ranges is a very good idea and you don't necessarily restrict yourself from doing them in the same block or mesocycle. So if you for instance train certain muscle two times a week the other workout could be more strength focused and the latter more "hypertrophy" focused. The reason I put hypertrophy in quotation marks is because strength and hypertrophy kinda go hand in hand.

Comment

Working...
          X