Condensing 3 day splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensing 3 day splits

has anyone every experimented with condensing workouts designed to be 3 non consecutive days into 3 consecutive days? I realize it’s not optimum but my new work schedule won’t allow me to get in 4 days a week so I have to do it during my 3 day weekends.

I can't say I have much experience in this regard, but what type of split are you running currently? Once I know that, I may be able to answer more efficiently

Comment

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post
      has anyone every experimented with condensing workouts designed to be 3 non consecutive days into 3 consecutive days? I realize it’s not optimum but my new work schedule won’t allow me to get in 4 days a week so I have to do it during my 3 day weekends.
      Yes and they can be very effective too.
      What do you want to know about them?

Comment

So I’m gonna have to sort of switch gears here. Since making this post some stuff has changed. Originally I had 4 10.5 hour days at work with three day weekends. So I was trying at that time to condense the three days of training using skip’s training protocols from longevity only what I started doing was chest/back, legs, then arms. So on.

However now our our work schedule changed. Now it’s 8.5 days 5 days a week with 2 off then 3 off. Unfortunately it’s frequent that you get caught up on a last minute thing so you end up with 10 to 13 hour days or longer so you have just enough time to go home go to sleep and come back. I WAS doing 1 day carb days similar to skips refeeds or CKD. But when you end up with a bad week that you can’t get into the gym at all that week I think a carb refeed isn’t warranted. I’m thinking TKD is a better way for me to keep weight off for me these days at least until I get out of patrol so my schedule gets more consistent.

So so my question at this point is does anyone have any recommendations for a training protocol that’s a bit more flexible for my line of work? I’m thinking of just doing a full body split this way whether it’s 1 or 4 days that week you can get in you can at least get your whole body even if it’s not consistent which sucks.

Anyways any feedback would be great. I know none of it is optimum. I can definitely kiss size gains mostly goodby. But if like to just maintain athleticism at this point.

Comment

I don't necessarily think you need to kiss size gains goodbye, though. I understand that your workouts may not be consistent but if it were ME, and I anticipated that I was going to miss some workout days here or there (over time), I would probably look to train slightly more frequently, anticipating that I was probably going to be forced to take days off against my plan.

A rotation would probably be the way I would go. A classic push/legs/pull would work well or even something like back/chest/delts followed by arms/legs if you wanted to condense to only 2 days to cover the entire body. I am not against full-body workouts but if you are more than a beginner trainer, full-body workouts can become quite lengthy and by the time you get to the last couple of muscle groups, there just isn't much left in the tank.

Skip

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post
          So I’m gonna have to sort of switch gears here. Since making this post some stuff has changed. Originally I had 4 10.5 hour days at work with three day weekends. So I was trying at that time to condense the three days of training using skip’s training protocols from longevity only what I started doing was chest/back, legs, then arms. So on.

However now our our work schedule changed. Now it’s 8.5 days 5 days a week with 2 off then 3 off. Unfortunately it’s frequent that you get caught up on a last minute thing so you end up with 10 to 13 hour days or longer so you have just enough time to go home go to sleep and come back. I WAS doing 1 day carb days similar to skips refeeds or CKD. But when you end up with a bad week that you can’t get into the gym at all that week I think a carb refeed isn’t warranted. I’m thinking TKD is a better way for me to keep weight off for me these days at least until I get out of patrol so my schedule gets more consistent.

So so my question at this point is does anyone have any recommendations for a training protocol that’s a bit more flexible for my line of work? I’m thinking of just doing a full body split this way whether it’s 1 or 4 days that week you can get in you can at least get your whole body even if it’s not consistent which sucks.

Anyways any feedback would be great. I know none of it is optimum. I can definitely kiss size gains mostly goodby. But if like to just maintain athleticism at this point.
          www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
          Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: IntenseMuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I really like the idea of that suggested two day split skip. Thank you. I was thinking along those same lines. Because I can definitely fit that into my weekends which are always 2 days off then 3 days off alternating. So maybe on the 3 day I could split it up a little more. Thinking of approx 1-2 exercises per muscle group depending on group. And then during the week if I have time to get it in the morning like I like could maybe hit like 1 exercise for say chest back and legs maybe alternating with some Ab moves. Might be hard to figure out. I saw on another forum someone recommended fortitude but I haven’t had a look at that yet.

actually now that I think of it how’s this for a plan?
            so on the three day weekends use your suggested three day split. And then the two day weekends. The two day obviously. They can’t per policy draft us every day into overtime shifts. So on mornings where I have time we will use this theoretical plan
            that Monday(not actually Monday but what would be my Monday) hit abs and cardio. Then the Tuesday or Wednesday depending on if my schedule permits do just a quick push/pull and potentially push/pull/ legs if time permits we will have to see. Then the following day I get time again another ab cardio day. Then the weekend hopefully.

Thoughts? I’m thinking TKD throughout not counting ab days
            Last edited by Wagz86; 08-20-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I think that plan should work well for your schedule, yes.

Skip
              www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
              Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: IntenseMuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks a lot skip and everyone else. Really appreciate it. Just trying to stay in the game as long as possible

Comment

Working...
                X