To Bench or not to Bench, that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Bench or not to Bench, that is the question

I think this is one of the biggest questions in BB'ing. To Bench or not to Bench. Flat bench Barbell is what I am talking about.

I love BB-flat benching. It is the one exercise that I use as a barometer as to how my diet, training, and gear are working. if my bench is strong and improving then everything is good.
    If my bench is struggling I take a closer look at what I am doing.
    I know incline DB is the chest exercise of choice for most...and it is great for massive, thick pecs-especially the upper pecs which are kinda difficult to build.
    But who likes flat bb benching?
    [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
    Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

All the basic compound movements are a MUST:
    Flat BB Bench
    BB Squat
    Deads/Bent-over Rows

I have developed bad shoulders over the years and am VERY suseptible to movements that "hurt" shoulders. Incline is one of those movements that puts a lot of stress on shoulders.

xcel
    Lift Smarter, not more
    60% Nutrition - 25% Workout - 10% Rest - 5% Supplementation

Comment

I bench in 'cycles', though this is not necessarily planned. I go for months with the bench and then I will go months without it. It is just an instinctive thing with me. Over the years, I have had no problems, though, with benching either flat or incline.

I believe the bench to be an asset provided you are not vulnerable from past injuries to the shoulders or triceps.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I'll just add that bench tends to be an ego exercise and, I think, for this reason at least in part it gets a bad rap as a pec tearer.

Some folks are biomechanically suited for it, whereas others, like Xcel (welcome, BTW!), aren't...

-Randy
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

yeah, it is an ego exercise for sure. Got a funny story, maybe others can relate.

I first benched 315 when I was about 21 or 22 years old...had been training and eating like crazy for years.
          The night I got 315, man was I stoked! 315!! 3 big wagon wheels on each side...i had ARRIVED!!!! I had entered the Holy Grail of benching, finally.
          I was so stoked I went back to the gym the next night to do it again!!!! I warmed up, went up to 315-got it again...very cool!
          Right about that time a Marine powerlifter. Dan Martinez, superheavyweight, started benching right next to me.

315 was his warm up set.

Now I felt like a little girl!
          Dan went up to 505 for 3 reps that night. When I saw that, my ego crumbled, and I broke down my bar sheepishly.
          [email protected] http://www.proactivehealthnet.com

" We know that to err is human, but the HIV/AIDS hypothesis is one hell of a mistake"
          Dr. Kary Mullis, Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction

"The fact is that you can not start off with bad science and end up with good medicine"

Comment

I prefer DB's and inclines over BB flat bench. Although I do them sometimes they are never 1st in my workout. I did experience a minor pec tear 3 yrs ago so have been cautious ever since.
            -KidRok-
            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

I admit that I BB flat bench every week and love it. It keeps me pumped and motivated. Especially right after I pre-exhaust with DB incline-flyes...........just gotta do it!
              TRAIN...because it's in your blood, EAT...because you need to feed the machine...and REST to grow for the next day of INTENSITY!

Comment

Working...
              X