when leaning up.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when leaning up.........

First i wanted to say GREAT BOARD! lots of good info on here and im looking forward to growing with all of you ... my questoin is when leaning up do you feel its still necessary to take in alll those carbs post workout? I have asked this to a few and have gotten mixed answers. Some have told me post workout when dieting a apple is pletny enough and others said it still needs to be a high carb shake with fast acting carbs. Ive even been told by a few that they take Coke or pepsi or even candy lol. Not sure how odd that sounds but these guys werent rookies at this either so thats why i ask.

Tyson i think carbs persoanlly dont matter right after your workout, as far as interfering with you leaning up, the carbs go straight to glycogen storage. i wouldnt go and over do it at like olive garden ya know but you should be safe 30 minutes after your workout. from what i have studied the body will go resistant after this interval so be careful with your timing. i am currently doing this same route
    mind over matter

Comment

have you heard of people using soda like pepsi? or even candy? A few guys in my gyms finish there workouts with a whole pack of sweet tarts lol i asked them why candy they might as well enjoy and it works as well i beleive of the surcrose or dextrose in it im not sure. Give me your feed back guys i weigh 213 and ive been taking in 70-75grams carbs ( fast acting) post workout. And my goal is im trying to lean up for the summer

Comment

Anyone experts that can chime in Skip you seem to be the man around hwere when it comes to dieting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyson23
          have you heard of people using soda like pepsi? or even candy? A few guys in my gyms finish there workouts with a whole pack of sweet tarts lol i asked them why candy they might as well enjoy and it works as well i beleive of the surcrose or dextrose in it im not sure. Give me your feed back guys i weigh 213 and ive been taking in 70-75grams carbs ( fast acting) post workout. And my goal is im trying to lean up for the summer
          i eat the same thing post workout sometimes. sweetarts are perfect, they are half dextrose and half maltodextrin, talk about a post recovery treat. hard candy (fat free, jelly beans, mike and ikes, etc.) are usually just sucrose or dextrose. just read the back labels on the candy and you will see what the ingredients are. another favorite of mine is "dip n sticks" again all dextrose with some maltodextrin.

i have heard of people drinking cokes/pepsi's post workout, but they mainly consist of high fructose corn syrup. this is a glucose polymer that can get spike your insulin up in a hurry. but i prefer dextrose and maltodextrin, their even quicker.

you can play with your carbs try going lower or a little higher than 70-75 grams. as long as you don't feel your body spilling over the extra glucose you should be fine, but at the same time you want to make sure you are fully loading your skeletal muscle with glucose. there is a semi-fine line for each one of us, that you have to find out for yourself. be extra aware the first 2 hours post workout how you feel, and you can figure out the proper amounts you need.

tpc
          TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

I don't get too anal about whether it is dextrose, malto, whatever. I prefer to use things that are half fast carbs and half slower carbs. My favorite is flavored oatmeal packets. They are roughly 25g of carbs each so keeping track of the carbs is easy. I have used things like lowfat oreos before (for my last prep) and they worked great (tasted great too). I have used jam, sweetened applesauce with regular oatmeal, snackwell fat free cookies, etc.. Whatever the carbs, I blend them with whey protein. Tastes great, too.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I keep it simple, 2 scoops of ultra fuel and a spoonful of glutamine and just drink it down....50g of mixed carbs.
              -KidRok-
              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

To answer the original question, I would say that this is arguably the most important meal of the day.

As mikeloury said, this is when insulin sensitivity is highest, so your greatest rate of glycogen resynthesis will occur here. If you want to be able to train that muscle group intensely (you do LOL) the next workout(s), ample glycogen must be there. If you're kcal are limited - which may be by lowering carb intake during your diet of b/c you're doing cardio - this post-workout "window" is important to take advantage of.

After your workout, you've just induced a primary insult to the muscle cells. (2ndary insult is evident with DOMS.) This is perhaps the point of greated lability of the protein in those cells. You have high rates of protein break down as well as synthesis. The muscle is starting to remodel itself.

The carb intake and insulin release will stimulate protein synthesis and inhibit breakdown. This will help with recovery. The studies are pretty solid on this effect. Of special interest:

One study showed no muscle growth d/t to resistance training in older folks who did not take in a post-workout meal.

Even a small supplement (around 100kcal, I think) was helpful in preserving muscle mass and metabolic rate without affecting fat loss in a group of older men.

The best way to affect muscle protein metabolism is actually to take in carbs and protein BEFORE the workout. I basically have done this for years (Even before Tipton's study showed a benefit), by taking in a meal (shake) DURING my workout, even when I diet.

I don't do cardio for fat loss, though - just manipulate kcal and carbs (keto-style).

I would say that the post-workout meal is even MORE important when dieting, b/c this is when its quite easy to lose muscle mass. Its a must, IMHO.

-Randy
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I have a different question regarding whey shakes during contest prep. is it ok to use skim milk w/ it or all water during this phase?

TH
                  For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

Hey TPC...

Thanks for all the replies guys but to comment on how i feel 2hours after my postworkout i have noticed that i get a quick high but the downfall is pretty bad i feel VERY tired and just alittle out of it like my body is low on sugar or light headed... i believe that means your hypo if im corrcecT? cant remember what is this indicating to much carbs?

Comment

homonunculus
                      great reply. i have learned more from reading through this thread. thanks tyson for posting a very good read.
                      fellas, how should you feel if you have not taken in enough carbs post workout or too many? after about an hour or so of me resting, my body starts to take its toll on the hard work i performed and i get tired and sleepy. is this ok or is there something i am missing?
                      mind over matter

Comment

Randy's a smart mofo!!! and for someone that doesn't do cardio, he sure seems to get ripped as hell.
                        "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

Mike feel the SAME way sometimes to the point where im like this isnt right.... very light headed and BAM i pass out and take a hour or two nap lolol thats why im waiting on Tpc reply to see what this means since he said a hour or so after post workout meal can be a good indicator of if yoru taking to many or not enough. So lets wait till the Vets come and chime in .... Skip tpc ect ect...

I love this board so far

Comment

Randy will get more indepth with this than I will but given your situation of your glucose levels falling off sharply, I would say that you need to consider one of two main things here:

Either add more carbs to your postworkout meal and/or split the carbs in a 50/50 ratio for fast and slower carbs (oatmeal packets will do this as an example) OR

Get the meal that comes after your postworkout meal, much sooner than you are now.

I can go about 1.75 to 2 hours after my postworkout drink before having my next meal. Not alot of guys can go that long. I have found this to be optimal for ME. You may need to go with a meal around the 1 hour mark, give or take, so that your blood sugar doesn't fall off so drastically.

You will have to play with it a bit and see what works best for you.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

thanks skip... now that i think about it ive been taking a really long time drinking my post workout shake that when im done i do take some time before my next meal sometimes my next meal does wonder off a bit so this is probably the solution 1hour seems about right. Thanks And i cant begin to tell you happy i am that i can have sweettarts

Comment

Working...
                              X