How expensive to live in California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How expensive to live in California?

I was wondering how bad is it? I would like to move there after college. I also hear that salaries are higher to compensate for the expensive housing, is that true?

where is Heckman? He can answer this.

you could go do a search at homestore.com for apartments in the area you are thinking about moving to.
    "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

Salaries are not any higher unless you are recruited for an upper level job.
      Southern Cal (San Diego - LA) is very a rough job market.
      Why? Because EVERYBODY wants to live there. I know former aerospace engineers who lost their 100k jobs in the mid 90's still working 40-50k jobs just so they won't lose their houses.
      You had better have something special to offer, or have contacts, or it will be a very tough challenge. There is ALWAYS some guy, who can do the job as well or better, willing to take it for 20% less.
      I went through this in the late 80's thru mid 90's and it is still the same. Add to that the extra premium for gasoline, utilities, and the cost of going out to eat (25%higher than the rest of the country) and you've got a tough proposition.
      I would highly recommend AGAINST just "getting out of school and moving there to find a job".
      It took me 5 years to get myself back into a good job. I'll stay where I am now, thanks you.
      I was born there and lived there for 8 working years. Left in 97 and never looked back.
      If you have a job offer, you'd better check out the $900 single bedroom apartments that are close to the office, or look at the $800 one a little further away. (these are the cheap apartments too) The ones for $500-600 NEED bars on the windows.
      Not trying to paint a horrible picture, just a realistic one.
      Last edited by ctgblue; 12-08-2004, 07:46 AM.
      Lift big 2 get big
      TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
      mod at bodybuilding.com
      mod at iron-forum.com
      mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
      So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
      "Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
      Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"

Comment

Originally posted by ctgblue
        Salaries are not any higher unless you are recruited for an upper level job.
        Southern Cal (San Diego - LA) is very a rough job market.
        Why? Because EVERYBODY wants to live there. I know former aerospace engineers who lost their 100k jobs in the mid 90's still working 40-50k jobs just so they won't lose their houses.
        You had better have something special to offer, or have contacts, or it will be a very tough challenge. There is ALWAYS some guy, who can do the job as well or better, willing to take it for 20% less.
        I went through this in the late 80's thru mid 90's and it is still the same. Add to that the extra premium for gasoline, utilities, and the cost of going out to eat (25%higher than the rest of the country) and you've got a tough proposition.
        I would highly recommend AGAINST just "getting out of school and moving there to find a job".
        If you have a job offer, you'd better check out the $900 single bedroom apartments that are close to the office, or look at the $800 one a little further away. (these are the cheap apartments too) The ones for $500-600 NEED bars on the windows.
        Not trying to paint a horrible picture, just a realistic one.

Yes that pretty much sums it up. I too was born and raised here. (other than a 4 year military stint) But you are way to low for a 1 bedroom apt..Try 1200-1500 for a 1 bedroom...A little less in a very rot gut area...Gas is high, insurance is high, but I like it here. Since I am self employed, I can do what I do anywhere in the USA, but I choose to be here.
        You are right, make sure you have a job before you invest in moving here. Salaries are not any higher and in fact some times they are lower because of the illegal alien situation...Meaning they will work cheaper than you!
        There are a lot of jobs here, just none of them pay worth a shit. Just look at monster.com and see for yourself. I would move if the opportunity presented itself, but for right now this is home.
        My advice is, do your homework completely before you make up your mind.
        Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Yep, I made the mistake of quitting a job in TX, moving to So Cal (parents were relocating so I had temp housing) and thinking I could find a better paying job.
          Result - finance degree with several years of experience - SOLD CARS for 4 years, managed a downtown woolworth store, finally got the job I was looking for after 5 years.
          Lift big 2 get big
          TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
          mod at bodybuilding.com
          mod at iron-forum.com
          mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

Comment

OK will I have been looking to buy in my area in Orange County, lol, lets see try 600K for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, condos lucky to find one under 450K 2 bed, 1 bath, rentals you are looking at $2000.00 a month for a house 3 bed, 2 bath, $1800.00 a month 2 bed 1 bath and apartments are $1500.00 for 2 bedrooms no parking. If you ain't making at least 60K gross you will never survive here on your own with bills and a woman, car insurance is the highest in the country, single guys 18-30 $1000.00-1500.00 a year, food forget it, even a very good shopper as I am, $250.00 a week. And remember this, you must live sorta close to your job, a 30 mile trip with no traffic at 2 am is 20 minutes away, if the sun is shinning and no accidents, maybe you can do that in 45 minutes, creep hour, I mean rush hour 6am-10am and 3pm-7pm, that 30 miles will take you easy 1 hour, and please if you decide to move here, stay off my freeway...
            "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

The money you make here is irrelevent, if you live in Michigan and make 40K a year its the same as living here in California making 100K cause the prices of everything are so high...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                OK will I have been looking to buy in my area in Orange County, lol, lets see try 600K for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, condos lucky to find one under 450K 2 bed, 1 bath, rentals you are looking at $2000.00 a month for a house 3 bed, 2 bath, $1800.00 a month 2 bed 1 bath and apartments are $1500.00 for 2 bedrooms no parking. If you ain't making at least 60K gross you will never survive here on your own with bills and a woman, car insurance is the highest in the country, single guys 18-30 $1000.00-1500.00 a year, food forget it, even a very good shopper as I am, $250.00 a week. And remember this, you must live sorta close to your job, a 30 mile trip with no traffic at 2 am is 20 minutes away, if the sun is shinning and no accidents, maybe you can do that in 45 minutes, creep hour, I mean rush hour 6am-10am and 3pm-7pm, that 30 miles will take you easy 1 hour, and please if you decide to move here, stay off my freeway...

I think after hearing this and realizing where I am, it maybe time to move! Sometimes you just don't think about it when you are here...
                Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Yep, housing is the worst.
                  You cannot find a decent house, in a decent neighborhood, anywhere close to the major cities, for under $400k.
                  My $200k house would be $600-800k in So Cal.
                  Lift big 2 get big
                  mod at bodybuilding.com
                  mod at iron-forum.com
                  mod at melanoplanet.com

Comment

yup its pretty bad out here ,, i got lucky i pay around 1185 for a 2 bd 2 bath apartment with a patio,, nice area but im not even thinking about getting a house for a good couple of years... salary is ok if you dont have a high debt to income ratio ,, but most young people do,, i found that out the hard way.. also companies out here (o.c area) are stifflers about giving raises, even if you have a college degree , i know a lot of people with their masters and they work in call centers or others jobs .. good luck on your decision anyway
                    "I pitty the fool who doesnt buy from www.trueprotein.com"

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                      The money you make here is irrelevent, if you live in Michigan and make 40K a year its the same as living here in California making 100K cause the prices of everything are so high...

That's the god damn truth. BUT you can make it if your willing to live in a bad neiboorhood and commute in. A couple of my friends and I did this. We initially got condos for 200k with like 5-10k down. A few years later we sold those and bought houses outside the city for 300k. Drove the 1.5hr commute to work and sufferd. A year later sold that house for 400k and bought the house I live in now for 540k which is 30miles outside the San Fran and a 45min commute to my job. This house is now apprasied for 950K. I plan on selling it this year and buying a house half as big, and twice as old but only 10miles from me and my wife's work. Also, I had the help of my wife working and pulling in good money also, there was no way we could have done this on one of our salaries.

Baiscially, you've gotta have a plan, and be willing to suffer for YEARS. But after say 5-6 yrs if you manage your assets well YOU can make it out here. And in the long run, it is defintley worth it. But don't get me wrong, if you cannot endure the hardship of living in a rough neiboorhood, commute for hrs each day, its not worth moving out here in my opinon.

R

Comment

After reading this thread one question comes to mind. What makes Cali so great? I mean list some reasons as the cost of living is amazing. I can't believe the house prices!!!
                        What really happened to Abe Lincoln - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQtzryVP1BA

Comment

No, it depends on where in CA you live. I pay $550 a month for my apartment, and it's in a fairly decent area. The high-end 1 bedroom apartments are under $1000 a month.

Note: this is central CA. Nothing special, but NOT far from anything interesting. Vegas is a 6 hour drive, LA is about 4 hour, SF is 3 hours, etc, etc. I think I'll stay here.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJ
                            After reading this thread one question comes to mind. What makes Cali so great? I mean list some reasons as the cost of living is amazing. I can't believe the house prices!!!

what makes cali so great. hum let me see... it was 80 degrees today in socal, while the rest of the county is under a foot of snow.

d
                            TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

the women in orange county are by far the hottest in all of california in my opinion; thats a plus!
                              TRAIN
                              EAT
                              SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X