Seals vs. Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seals vs. Man

What a frickin waste of tax payers money! Only in San Diego!

October 12, 2004

SAN DIEGO – Animal advocates who want to protect seals living at an upscale beach sued the City of San Diego on Tuesday, the latest episode in an increasingly tense standoff that includes at least two suspicious seal deaths.

At stake is the future of the Children's Pool, a 73-year-old manmade cove in La Jolla, San Diego's version of Beverly Hills. Many locals who want the cove returned to human use support a city plan to dredge the small beach to allow the tide to flush waters polluted by the seals.

A lawsuit filed in Superior Court by San Diego Animal Advocates and two other groups says dredging project, estimated to cost up to $500,000 initially, is an unlawful waste of taxpayer money and will drive the seals from the beach forever. The groups also claim the city is violating its own ordinance against disturbing animals on beaches.

"You just can't treat sentient animals that way, particularly when the law says you can't," said Hank Holzer, a former law professor who is involved with two of the plaintiff groups, the International Society for Animal Rights and the Institute for Animal Rights Law.

A spokeswoman for City Attorney Casey Gwinn, did not return a message left seeking comment.

The seals have been an issue since the mid-1990s when they started hanging out on the beach at the Children's Pool.

Seal poop made the beach unfit for humans, and a rope went up to keep people and seals away from each other. Soon, tourists came to ooh and aah as the seals and their pups snoozed on the warm sand.

Local residents, many of whom fondly remember learning to swim at the cove, have been yearning to get their toes wet at the beach again.

While Tuesday's lawsuit accuses the city of doing too much, some La Jolla residents filed suit in March to accuse the city of not doing enough to allow access at the Children's Pool.

Last year, a group of swimmers tried to prove humans and seals could share the cove. But when they came ashore at the pool, they spooked the seals, causing the animals to flee into the water, where one attacked an approaching swimmer.

Still, the City Council last month ordered the rope barrier removed and welcomed people back to the beach as long as they don't bother the seals.

"Seals have always been present at this location and people have always been present at this location," said Clifton Williams, chief of staff for Councilman Scott Peters, who represents the La Jolla area. "The goal is to get back to the shared use we had for seven decades."

Lawyers for the animal advocates say they will seek a court order to block the dredging to protect what they called the only federally recognized seal rookery from the Mexican border to south Santa Barbara County.

Tensions have risen since the City Council's vote to allow people to use the beach.

The National Marine Fisheries Service's law enforcement branch is investigating reports that several seals were killed or wounded recently, spokesman Mark Oswell said.

Agents have found two dead seals. One had a cut across its abdomen and the other a cut on its side, Oswell said. The cause of the cuts is under investigation and agents have not yet determined whether a crime was committed.

On Oct. 3, an animal rights advocate shouted through a bullhorn at people who were relaxing on the beach, telling them to leave the seals alone.

"We've been called names. We've been called ecoterrorists," said Marjane Aalam, a seal activist who joined the animal groups as a plaintiff in the lawsuit. "We're concerned somebody's going to get hurt."
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Originally posted by Heckman

Last year, a group of swimmers tried to prove humans and seals could share the cove. But when they came ashore at the pool, they spooked the seals, causing the animals to flee into the water, where one attacked an approaching swimmer.

On Oct. 3, an animal rights advocate shouted through a bullhorn at people who were relaxing on the beach, telling them to leave the seals alone.
    Ok... this cracks me up. The seals were spooked when the people just wanted to swim & the activists got upset... understandable. Now wouldn't shouting through a bull horn be worse? DOH!

You know, I hear barbecued seal is tasty.
    Greek women, we may be lambs in the kitchen, but we are tigers in the bedroom.

MOD @ www.proactivehealthnet.com

Comment

grillem up
      animals are here to make us bigger, muscle builds muscle
      EAT UP
      frk
      :iagree:
      i always agree with what i say

Comment

Originally posted by FRKNHUGE
        grillem up
        animals are here to make us bigger, muscle builds muscle
        EAT UP
        frk
        Once you get through the blubber, I would imagine there is some pretty high quality protein in there...start the BBQ!

Comment

My uncle used to be a seal hunter, something my family did not agree with one bit, I just don't know how anyone could club these things..
          Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

tear*
            wheres my meat?
            granted they r cute but theres ugly seals too, lol
            and the fat drips off on the grill, lol
            frk
            :iagree:
            i always agree with what i say

Comment

I love all animals, they taste great...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by FRKNHUGE
                tear*
                wheres my meat?
                granted they r cute but theres ugly seals too, lol
                and the fat drips off on the grill, lol
                frk
                LMAO!!

That's right - I promise to only eat the ugly ones. LOL

I am a member of PETA - people eating tasty animals. I have the bumper sticker to prove it.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: @intensemuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

people eating tasty animals.......lol.....

Comment

I hear they taste like chicken!

Survival of the fittest; it's the way of the world; including the animal kingdom. Hell, especially in the animal kingdom. For that matter, aren't we part of the animal kingdom!
                    "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

Originally posted by Skip
                      LMAO!!

That's right - I promise to only eat the ugly ones. LOL

I am a member of PETA - people eating tasty animals. I have the bumper sticker to prove it.

Skip
                      Oh man I have to pass that one along to the wife, shes a member of PETA, now thats funny!

Comment

Originally posted by GetnBigr
                        I hear they taste like chicken!

Survival of the fittest; it's the way of the world; including the animal kingdom. Hell, especially in the animal kingdom. For that matter, aren't we part of the animal kingdom!
                        This reminds me of this lion video. LOL

http://www.unf.edu/~demm0006/lion-hyena-war.wmv

Comment

Originally posted by GetnBigr
                          aren't we part of the animal kingdom!
                          I eat the animal kingdom, burp...
                          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Deer are cute too, but come hunting season I'll be out there looking for mine.
                            I'll take a boar if it gets close. I can almost taste the backstrap now. mmmmmm!

I can understand getting upset when folks kill animals just for the fun of it, but if they're going to be eaten then that's different. Giving over a whole beach to a bunch of seals it silly and if people and animals have been coexisting for years then that's how it should be left. People are weird.
                            "The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
                            Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Comment

Seals: Real Food for REAL People

For those of you not familiar with this part of the country, LaJolla is a magnet for groups of tree hugging, anti-people, activists from all over the country.
                              Let's all have a campfire and sing koombaya (and eat some seal)

Here's a picture from above this beach, it's gorgeous, why wouldn't people want to be able to swim here again?
                              Lift big 2 get big
                              TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
                              mod at bodybuilding.com
                              mod at iron-forum.com
                              mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
                              So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
                              "Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
                              Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"

Comment

Working...
                              X