lost motivation during cruise week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost motivation during cruise week

Am I the only one who loses motivation during a cruise week? As I sit here at my desk working thinking about how in two hours I'll be needing to head to the gym, I am overcome with "sleepiness"! Happens every time. I swear when I take a week off, my drive goes in the toilet. Usually takes me a week back in the swing before I am normal again. Doesn't seem to matter if its a active cruise or not...
    :WTF:
    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Remember, if your'e doing FT, you're still training HARD, but with a lower Volume Tier.

You've got to get it done with fewer Muscle Rounds...

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
      Remember, if your'e doing FT, you're still training HARD, but with a lower Volume Tier.

-S

I'm sure it's mental. I need to call it something other than cruise... Haha...
      I might not be training hard enough on my cruise given what you eluded to above. Next go round I'll step it up a notch and see if that cures me.
      "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."

Comment

I rarely take time off, but if I take off more than 10 days it takes a big effort to get me up and going to the gym again. Its not that I don't go but I really have to "talk myself into it"

even after a meet (Saturday) im either back in the gym on Tuesday or Wednesday.

At least for me and I think its age-related is that if I take an extended cruise (more than a week) I get stiff and lose some mobility. When I was younger I could really benefit from1-2 weeks completely out of the gym. (probably because I was less busy in my life and if I was out of the gym I was in the ocean, playing basketball or otherwise being active), now if am out of the gym, my activity drops by like 75%....
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
          Am I the only one who loses motivation during a cruise week? As I sit here at my desk working thinking about how in two hours I'll be needing to head to the gym, I am overcome with "sleepiness"! Happens every time.
          I get soooo sleepy too! I blame it on accumulated fatigue
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM
          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Truc... Defiantly has gotten worse for me with age too. My hips and elbows get cranky when they aren't being used as much.

Nexa... Great theory! Lol

Comment

Am I the only one who loses motivation during a cruise week? As I sit here at my desk working thinking about how in two hours I'll be needing to head to the gym, I am overcome with "sleepiness"! Happens every time. I swear when I take a week off, my drive goes in the toilet. Usually takes me a week back in the swing before I am normal again. Doesn't seem to matter if its a active cruise or not...
              :WTF:
              Jen, Im on my first cruise right now and I have been using all strip sets on most movements. Like DC, Im just doing 1 working set, no where near failure(cruise n'all). It keeps the lactate level very high in the muscle. I still feel very energized, muscles feel good and pumped but not over worked at all.

Im taking two weeks to cruise, lowering the intensity each workout until the start of the next blast. On the last workout I may not even do presses, just assistance work.

I think you and I are the same age, so this may be a viable option....I love it. Keep my joints less "cranky"

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                I rarely take time off, but if I take off more than 10 days it takes a big effort to get me up and going to the gym again. Its not that I don't go but I really have to "talk myself into it"

even after a meet (Saturday) im either back in the gym on Tuesday or Wednesday.

At least for me and I think its age-related is that if I take an extended cruise (more than a week) I get stiff and lose some mobility. When I was younger I could really benefit from1-2 weeks completely out of the gym. (probably because I was less busy in my life and if I was out of the gym I was in the ocean, playing basketball or otherwise being active), now if am out of the gym, my activity drops by like 75%....
                A good friend of mine turns 48 this year. He competed as well on Sunday and was telling someone this exact same thing.
                Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Jen

I also train either 5 or 6x/week....so it's a almost a daily habit. If I stop for too long I get out of the habit.
                  '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                  17 AAU Super Total
                  '16-AAU Hi
                  '15-USPA Metro
                  '15-USPA State
                  '15-AAU HI
                  '14-AAU HI
                  '14-USPA Metro
                  '14-WABDL Sonny's
                  '14-USPA State
                  '14-HI Strongman
                  '13-USPA
                  '13-WABDL Sonny's
                  '13-USPA State
                  '13-AAU HI
                  '11-USPA Metro
                  '10-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-NPC Islands
                  '09-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA IronWorks
                  '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                  '01-ABA Olympia
                  '01-ABA Islands
                  '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                  '00-INBF Musclefest
                  '98-NGA Ill
                  '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I'm sure it's mental. I need to call it something other than cruise... Haha...
                    I might not be training hard enough on my cruise given what you eluded to above. Next go round I'll step it up a notch and see if that cures me.
                    It's an INTENSIVE Cruise, if that helps.

You could call it a Taper, too. The point here is to recovery, rebound a bit and come back gnawing a the bit to train again...

Just go down a Tier, train just 3x /week or so (will depend upon how long your IC is planned for) and you'll be wanting to bend straight bars and eat dumbbells when it's time to Blast again...

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Priot to reading FT I never did any gym activity on a cruise. I love the FT recovery week now and also use this system if traveling.

I have found it makes a huge difference in that when I come back to full workouts I am still fit, limber and keep going forward.

I have even been guilty of cruising after only 6 or even 4 weeks as the rebound is soo good and I do shift work so sometimes I might have nightwork and don't get as much sleep - no problem lets just call in the FT cruise week to actually progress.
                      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                      ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                        Priot to reading FT I never did any gym activity on a cruise. I love the FT recovery week now and also use this system if traveling.

I have found it makes a huge difference in that when I come back to full workouts I am still fit, limber and keep going forward.

I have even been guilty of cruising after only 6 or even 4 weeks as the rebound is soo good and I do shift work so sometimes I might have nightwork and don't get as much sleep - no problem lets just call in the FT cruise week to actually progress.
                        BINGO!!! Exactly how I intended it to be used. Training and Life stress balanced.

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

-S
                          Another reason I love FT. When I take time off things tighten up quickly and I always feel weak when returning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dice77 View Post
                            Another reason I love FT. When I take time off things tighten up quickly and I always feel weak when returning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                            Weak or STRONG?...

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I wonder how much of a cruise people let themselves go in sleep, nutrition and hydration too. I've had some lifters deload and would just really fall off the training wagon in all of those factors.
                              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X