*** Featured Member - Adam2433 ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** Featured Member - Adam2433 ***

Ladies and gentlemen, our featured member for December is Adam2433. A BIG thank you to Adam for taking the time to be interviewed and letting us get to know you better. I thoroughly enjoyed your answers.
    Attached Files
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Questions for our Featured Member:

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

Adam Thomas Banotai

2. Where do you live?

Schnecksville, Pa about an hour northwest of Philadelphia

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

I am a man of many roles… Full-time I work as a firefighter for the City of Allentown, Pa. Part time I work as a registered nurse in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. I am also a graduate student at Drexel University in Philadelphia in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. Last but not least, I am the founder and President of the One Fight Foundation, a non-profit foundation that fights veteran suicide in America.

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

I am married to Jessica who is also a lifter and competes even more often than I do and is very successful.We have no children yet as Jess is also finishing a graduate degree at Penn State on top of her work running a US Congressional campaign team. We have a 7-year old Belgian Malinois named Kato who is my best friend in the world and the center of our lives.

5. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

I played baseball year round and was going to play at The Citadel where I was going to attend before I decided to enlist.

6. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL’ing, strongman? Competition highlights?

I have competed in powerlifting and will next on 12/5 at RPS Christmas Carnage. Nothing I have done in the gym or competition is highlight worthy.

7. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you?

I have a very stereotypical story. I started training for baseball and grew to love being in the gym just as much as on the field. I liked the challenge of getting bigger and stronger but also the vanity of a teenage boy. From there it was Flex, Muscle & Fitness, etc. and eventually internet message boards and IM.

8. How would you describe your current training protocol?

I currently run a version of The Cube. It rotates speed work, rep work and heavy work over the 3 main lifts. I do not adhere to any strict percentages but go by how I am feeling that day. Accessory work is based on training “lifts” not “bodyparts”. I also throw a “Bodybuilding Day” in most weeks when my schedule allows. I use it to get some extra work in and train the “bro muscles”.

9. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training?

Not really training advice per say but advice I wish I took sooner when it was given to me when I first came home in 2005.

Taking care of yourself first on a personal and emotional level, no matter how difficult, will allow you to succeed exponentially in all your endeavors down the road.

10. What goals are you working to achieve this year inside and outside of the gym?

Well I would like to deadlift 600 pn 12/5. I believe I stand a pretty good chance of doing. As for 2016… I hadn’t thought about that. I’d say
    1- Hit an Elite Total
    2- Prepare to begin practice as a Nurse Practitioner

Those goals actually suck. They are broad and not very measurable which I hate. I am at a loss at the moment though.

11. Do you have any special skills or hobbies?

Not really a hobby or skill. But I am a part time analyst on CNN Newsroom. I have appeared maybe 12-14 times now to discuss various military, foreign affairs and veterans issues. I guess it actually is more of a hobby because I don’t get paid. They just send a car to pick me up and bring me to the studio in New York. I gained some notoriety when coming home from some of the things we did in Iraq and being able to articulate it well. It lead to a interviews for a few books, numerous local and national newspaper articles, CNN, The Charlie Rose Show, a History Channel special, various speeches and even consulting on a video game. My next appearance will be a taping on 12/2 for a regional show to discuss the Syrian refugee crisis.

12. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

Amongst my Sirius favorites… Techno, Pop, Sports and Politics

13. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

Retired Marine General James Mattis. I served under him and had the great opportunity to speak with him on the phone once. I told him I intended to name my first born son Mattis James Banotai. Google “General Mattis Quotes” that should fill you in on who he is.

14. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go grocery shopping?

There’s lots of typical stuff I always get just like everyone here. However we are big fans of Ben and Jerry’s. My favorites…Americone Dream, Tonight Dough, Milk and Cookies.

15. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

730- wake up and drink coffee while reading the news (my favorite time of the day)
    830- 6 whole eggs, cup of oatmeal w raisins, multi/fish oil
    11- 8oz crockpot bbq chicken, 1.5c rice w honey
    230- 2 scoops whey, 1/2c cream of rice with PB and SF choc syrup
    intra- 2 scoops Intra MD
    630- 2c liquid egg whites, 75-100g carbs from pancakes or pop tarts
    730- dinner with Jess. We love to eat out at our favorite restaurants or I’ll cook something like chicken parm with pasta, chicken pot pie, steak and roasted potatoes
    10- 2 scoops whey, coconut oil

I don’t measure anything but the protein. And it varies. I try to push as much food as I can right now. If I want some sort of treat I’ll have it.

16. How often are you late for work or school?

Never.

17. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

Yes.

18. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

I’m actually a big softy at times. The Notebook is one of my favorite movies. I read the book too and even highlighted my favorite parts. I’m a sucker for a good love story.

19. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

None ::knock on wood:: Well, nothing gym related that is. I was out of action for a while in 2012 when Jess and I were in a bad car accident. I broke my jaw in a couple of spots and my orbital. I was wired shut for a while and completely miserable. I dealt by taking my Percocet and Flexeril together and passing out for hours at a time. It could have been worse though. It took almost 30 minutes to get me extricated. A few weeks later not far from where our accident happened there was another entrapment except that driver died from the fire before they could get him out.

20. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Because of Jess’s career we have spent a lot of time in DC and really like it down there. I love the suburbs but I love the hustle and bustle of the District as well. You can feel the pulse of the country there and there is just so much to do.

21. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

Nowadays?! Not that many! When I drink I prefer vodka on the rocks so I’ll say 2. Grey Goose and American Harvest are my favorites. I am far from a good drinker. If it isn’t vodka it has to be a sweeter drink. I can’t do those manly drinks like whiskey. Jess loves single malt Scotch neat and I think it smells and tastes like gasoline.

22. Do you have any tattoos or piercings? Where?

Hahaha. Lots. A sleeve on my right arm and I am finishing getting some things lasered on my left arm to get another sleeve started the second week of January. I one on my left chest and one on my upper back.

23. Do you train with a partner or by yourself?

I have guys I train with but no “training partners” if that makes sense.

24. What is your favorite lift?

Any deadlift. Conventional, sumo, stiff leg… any of them.

25. What is your strongest lift?

Deadlift and bench pressing movements.

26. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it’s complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

What’s cardio???

27. Most embarrassing moment?

I made plenty of embarrassing mistakes when I was younger. It would be hard choose just one. Thankfully my friends were very tolerant of me.

28. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

Teleport. It would save so much time.

29. What motivates you in life?

All my life people have relied on me to lead them. Failing them and letting them down is not an option and motivates me everyday.

Before deploying to Iraq where he would eventually fall during the height of the war Lt. Travis Manion was asked by his mother why he felt the need to go and fight. He responded, “If not me, than who?”. That pretty much sums my thoughts on why I do all the things I do and why I cannot fail.

30. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

Passion, drive, loyalty, toughness, humor, confidence

31. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

My wife gets it all, my best friend will deliver the eulogy and I will be buried in my blues. The rest doesn’t really matter and they have both been told that.

32. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I’d have fought longer, fought harder and fought more. I could have done more.

33. Last book you read?

“Green on Blue” by Elliott Ackerman who is a very close friend of mine.

34. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

Open a gym like the EliteFTS Compound free to anyone who trained hard. Have a big house with a huge yard/property where I romp around with a half dozen Malinois. Travel the world.

35. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

I love to talk about training. I think I’ve screwed up enough that I learned a thing or two along the way and can help others. I also think that unlike other places where internet gurus dominate IM is home to a good collection of very smart average joe’s whose advice I trust. And some of those guys (and girl) I have become good friends with. After being a member here for 10 years I stepped away for a while. I can honestly say that during that time I missed the discussion and interaction. I have only recently been back reading and posting again.
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

just curious if you retired as staff sergeant (going by your dress blues).

Comment

Damn, SICU? That's intense!
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

What is your schedule like being a full-time firefighter? Were you an RN, then later decided to become a firefighter?
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by heavyduty View Post
            just curious if you retired as staff sergeant (going by your dress blues).
            I did not. I was meritoriously promoted 3 times and was a Sergeant in 2 years 10 months. I EAS'd and was promoted to Staff Sergeant at home while on IRR somewhere around 5 years… I'd have to check the warrant for the exact date.

Originally posted by nexa View Post
            Damn, SICU? That's intense!
            It can be at times. We're a university medical center, transplant center and Level I so we see our share of sick people. I've learned a lot about what means to truly be sick and unstable and how to not freak out and manage that.

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
            What is your schedule like being a full-time firefighter? Were you an RN, then later decided to become a firefighter?
            I lucked into my situation. I took the fire exam and scored high but turned down the job after begin accepted to nursing school. I started while the economy and health care was booming but by the time I finished jobs were scare. I worked Peds for a short bit before some friends suggested I take the fire exam again due to a large number of guys retiring. They swore the schedule was super flexible and would fit with nursing. I did, scored well again and was hired.

Now I work 2 24hr shifts (or often 1 48hr shift) every 8 days. So I have 6 days off which leaves plenty of time to work at the hospital. And before anyone says how crazy 24hr shifts are… Yes we can sleep. Even when we get busy there is plenty of time for naps, eating, studying and goofing off.

I am very, very lucky things worked out the way they have.
            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Your story is impressive on many levels and I completely admire your commitment to your wife and country! Thank you for sharing~
              "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
              ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Good interview!
                '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                17 AAU Super Total
                '16-AAU Hi
                '15-USPA Metro
                '15-USPA State
                '15-AAU HI
                '14-AAU HI
                '14-USPA Metro
                '14-WABDL Sonny's
                '14-USPA State
                '14-HI Strongman
                '13-USPA
                '13-WABDL Sonny's
                '13-USPA State
                '13-AAU HI
                '11-USPA Metro
                '10-NPC Stingrey
                '09-NPC Islands
                '09-NPC Stingrey
                '09-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA Islands
                '02-ABA IronWorks
                '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                '01-ABA Olympia
                '01-ABA Islands
                '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                '00-INBF Musclefest
                '98-NGA Ill
                '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I attended an Out of the Darkness Walk (suicide awareness/prevention) in the past couple months and learned about the suicide rates for veterans. It literally almost brought me to my knees. Can you tell us more about the One Fight Foundation?
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Thanks for your service and continued support as a first responder. I find it more interesting and noteworthy what people do outside of the gym rather than inside.

Comment

Did you grow up with family who were either veterans or in the military? Was that a contributing factor to your decision to serve? Or was it more of a personal, intrinsic drive?
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

if you ever go WWE I vote that your name be, wait for it...........

A.Tom Bomb
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Good stuff Adam....And, after meeting Adam in person, he is way cooler than I am...But was a sleep at 9pm the first night in Vegas.
                          2005 HOA Natural Classic
                          2006 OCB Midwest
                          2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                          2008 HOA Natural Classic
                          NPC Mid-Illinois
                          NPC Midwest Open
                          NPC Natural Grand Prix
                          2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                          USPA Illinois State
                          NGA Heart of America
                          NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Very good interview. But, you failed to reveal what the most embarrassing moment of your life was.

And, Breck is correct. Adam is way cooler than him. Lol

As far as the 9 pm bedtime in Vegas, it was his anniversary. So, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Wink, wink

But, on a more serious note... Adam, it was a pleasure to meet you and Jess. You two are great and I am proud to call you my friend.

P.S. Stop sending me naked selfies.
                            2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Both of my grandfathers served in the army during World War II and a great uncle was shot down and killed. Two uncles served in the Navy. I am the first Marine in my family and enlisted pre-9/11. I guess I just always figured that if it came to it I would rather fight for others who may not be able or ready to fight for themselves.
                              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Working...
                              X