Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tipping Your Wait Staff

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tipping Your Wait Staff

    In the last year I have had an incredibly amount of bad experiences while eating out during my refeeds. To the point where I question whether a job like waiting tables even deserves a 15-20% tip in the first place. Especially since places like Applebee's, Red Robin, and Olive Garden now have you pay and order through tablets on the table that also have a button to call for the wait staff so they don't have to come around occasionally on their own.

    And in most states, the more the wait staff is tipped in a night, the lesser they will make that shift hourly. So what does tipping even matter except the restaurant having to pay less to their employees because I am paying more to them? That doesn't add up to me.

    I could go into all the bad service I have gotten over just 2015 alone but I could write a book on all of it. With every chapter being a different time eating out. But I will say that I've eaten out at least once a week on my Skiploads every weekend this year and I can only recall 3-4 average experiences with all the rest being below average or extremely poor service.

    Do you guys always tip no matter what?
    And does the percentage tipped depend on the service or do you always do a certain percentage?
    Why do we tip food services when the people at retail stores(or other customer service jobs)do more to help me than restaurants?
    Is there an actual decline in the quality of service these days?

    What are some reasons you may not tip or tip well when eating out?
    What's the worst experience you have ever had while eating out? Can you recall the best?

    I can say for myself, from now on, if the service is just average, I am not tipping. But if it's even a little above average, I will tip 20%. So you either get my 20% or nothing at all. No in between. Especially when a lot of these places rely on tablets now and all the wait staff does is take my order and bring out the food and nothing more. Hell, a lot of the time at Red Robin or Applebee's, someone other than my waiter/waitress brings out the food. Why should I pay extra to you when you are doing your job and nothing extra? To some out there, especially those who have worked in the restaurant business, I may sound like an asshole. But I would rather take that money I give to a wait staff, that they hardly deserve, and donate it to charities. Which I donate to charities all the time.

    True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

  • #2
    This might sound snobby but…

    I wouldn't expect anything but minimal quality food or minimal service at a place like Applebees or Olive Garden. I don't eat exclusively at Michelin starred restaurants but I am willing to pay for great food and service. When I get it I tip 20%. If they go above and beyond I will tip more accordingly. If the service is poor I will ask to speak to the GM right away and tell them of the issue. That situation is rare but I'm not gonna go back and support a place that treats me like crap.

    There are plenty of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives type places we go that are very affordable and where you are treated like a king. Those are the types of places I spend my money. Maybe expectations may need to be adjusted when frequently low quality chains.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

    Comment


    • #3
      Some restaurants in NYC are getting away from tipping altogether. I always tip. Usually double the tax. A little less when service is not up to par and little more when it's above average. I remember my boss came from London and didn't tip the bartender serving our team drinks. The bartender confronted my boss and asked if the service he had provided was good to which my boss replied it was ok. So the bartender then asked why no tip to which the boss said the service wasn't anything special. I believe in Europe. You only leave a tip if the service is spectacular.
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

      - Success is the best revenge

      Comment


      • #4
        Adam...did you tip the champagne boy in Vegas, where they wouldn't let me sit outside? Haha
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        2011
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        2013
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans




        SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

        Comment


        • #5
          [YOUTUBE]Z-qV9wVGb38[/YOUTUBE]
          2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

          2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

          2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

          2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total


          Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            This might sound snobby but…

            I wouldn't expect anything but minimal quality food or minimal service at a place like Applebees or Olive Garden. I don't eat exclusively at Michelin starred restaurants but I am willing to pay for great food and service. When I get it I tip 20%. If they go above and beyond I will tip more accordingly. If the service is poor I will ask to speak to the GM right away and tell them of the issue. That situation is rare but I'm not gonna go back and support a place that treats me like crap.

            There are plenty of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives type places we go that are very affordable and where you are treated like a king. Those are the types of places I spend my money. Maybe expectations may need to be adjusted when frequently low quality chains.
            I don't normally go to these places. But they are my girlfriends favorite places to go. And they have some decent options for skiploading at a good price. Just because they are a chain doesn't mean I should get treated poorly. And I don't mean just "ehh" service. I mean I've had waitresses so bad I've contemplated leaving without paying. Olive Garden for my girlfriends birthday 2 weeks ago was nice. The waitress was nice but again, we did almost everything on the tablet on our table.

            Those aren't the only places I go to obviously. Just some examples of places that have the tablets. Today I went to a new higher end sushi place for my Skipload and I waited over 25 minutes for my second roll I ordered after someone came in for 4 rolls to go. They stopped making my second roll immediately and made all 4 of theirs. I literally had no food for 45 of the 55 minutes I was there today. And I got the first roll within 5 minutes. And there were only 6 people in the resturaunt, including myself. I being the only one at the sushi bar. I couldn't believe it. Things like this happen to me often.

            True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TLopez View Post
              [YOUTUBE]Z-qV9wVGb38[/YOUTUBE]
              Love this.

              True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
              *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
              •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
              *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

              Comment


              • #8
                I refuse to tip less than 20% no matter how bad the service is unless he/she was disrespectful. If the service is bad, I call them over before I leave and tell them the service was terrible but that I am still tipping them well but if I come back again and get the same service, you won't get shit.

                I tend to tip well and my wife hates it but I think that most waitstaff - unless in a fine restaurant - don't make a lot of money. On anything less than 30 bucks I tip 30-50%. Anything over 30 bucks I do minimum 20% and 30% if it was REALLY good service.

                I have little things that I hate and a big one is if I am talking to someone whether it be a client or my wife, don't fucking interrupt me - your ass is getting paid so you can wait. I also cannot stand waitstaff that comes to the table every 3 minutes.

                Skip


                Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: @intensemuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                TikTok: @intensemuscle


                For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

                Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was a restaurant and not only was the food terrible but it wasn't even correct to the order. Wait staff was horrendous, never filled our drinks once. Here is the kicker...tip was automatically added to the check. I will never tip again unless im actually waited on. But here in Florida all customer service industries are crap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                    I don't normally go to these places. But they are my girlfriends favorite places to go. And they have some decent options for skiploading at a good price. Just because they are a chain doesn't mean I should get treated poorly. And I don't mean just "ehh" service. I mean I've had waitresses so bad I've contemplated leaving without paying. Olive Garden for my girlfriends birthday 2 weeks ago was nice. The waitress was nice but again, we did almost everything on the tablet on our table.

                    Those aren't the only places I go to obviously. Just some examples of places that have the tablets. Today I went to a new higher end sushi place for my Skipload and I waited over 25 minutes for my second roll I ordered after someone came in for 4 rolls to go. They stopped making my second roll immediately and made all 4 of theirs. I literally had no food for 45 of the 55 minutes I was there today. And I got the first roll within 5 minutes. And there were only 6 people in the resturaunt, including myself. I being the only one at the sushi bar. I couldn't believe it. Things like this happen to me often.
                    I'm just saying I don't ever go to those large chain type places because I anticipate far more bad than good experiences. Same as why I grocery shop at Wegmans where the customer service phenomenal versus Walmart.

                    If I experienced what you did as far as the sushi I would have complained to the GM. Tipping poorly punishes the wrong person. The server had no control over the kitchen not making your food promptly. But the GM, when notified, can rectify the situation.

                    And I have found that the best restaurants are not the high end places but the hole in the wall joints that truly love their customers and treat them like family.
                    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by breck View Post
                      Adam...did you tip the champagne boy in Vegas, where they wouldn't let me sit outside? Haha
                      I did because it wasn't his fault! If it were up to me I would've had the GM over in a second. But I was instructed to be on good behavior for you and Lauren haha. Plus its a little different in Vegas. They would've just told me to buzz off lol.
                      Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ^ lol.
                        2005 HOA Natural Classic
                        2006 OCB Midwest
                        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                        2008 HOA Natural Classic
                        2011
                        NPC Mid-Illinois
                        NPC Midwest Open
                        NPC Natural Grand Prix
                        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                        2013
                        USPA Illinois State
                        NGA Heart of America
                        NGA Clash of the Titans




                        SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And I have found that the best restaurants are not the high end places but the hole in the wall joints that truly love their customers and treat them like family.[/QUOTE]

                          Yessssss
                          I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                          I too like to live dangerously

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I live in west Tennessee and most of the places I go
                            I sit at the bar and the bar tender has my shit ready

                            I literally high five the guy lol

                            Of course I only go to like 2 restaurants

                            One a sushi place
                            One a Buffalo Wild Wings

                            I sit at the bar or sushi bar

                            It's always great

                            If rather cook my breakfasts, steak and burgers myself most of the time and we will bring stuff home a lot
                            It's not always a good experience later at night with a pissed off 2 year old lol

                            And my wife and I are always pretty good tippers

                            If the shit is bad we still tip and talk to manager
                            I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                            I too like to live dangerously

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If it is bad service and the only way it is addressed, is by, a low/non tip....how will the waitstaff or manager know to make improvements? To me, that is a passive way to be a dick. At least address it and have the tip reflect such. Maybe it will help the person improve for the future.
                              2005 HOA Natural Classic
                              2006 OCB Midwest
                              2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                              2008 HOA Natural Classic
                              2011
                              NPC Mid-Illinois
                              NPC Midwest Open
                              NPC Natural Grand Prix
                              2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                              2013
                              USPA Illinois State
                              NGA Heart of America
                              NGA Clash of the Titans




                              SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X