Finding a gym while on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a gym while on the road

Hey guys, I'm about to have to start traveling for work. And by traveling, I don't mean once a month. I'm going to be away from home a few nights per week, and up to 4-5 days at a time. In short... there will be months where I spend more time away from home than I spend at home.

This presents an obvious issue... where to work out. I've given up on finding any gym franchise that offers a "nationwide" membership. And I know people will say "just stay at a hotel with a gym". That's fine for every once in a while, or while on vacation, but how many hotels have a power rack, and a nice space to deadlift?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to travel often for work, so how bout it guys and gals? How do you find a place to lift when you're out of town often?
    My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

I recently just left a job where I traveled for work. I would just google gyms in the area. I trained at a pretty nice gym in Albany, NY that was geared for powerlifting and bodybuilding and only cost $5 for a day pass. I also found a really nice gym that was geared towards bodybuilding when I was traveling in Virginia that was $7 per day.

Also, ask the receptionist at the hotel. The one hotel that I stayed at had a "gym" but they offered a free pass to a wellness center down the road. It wasn't the type of place that I typically like to lift at but it was free and had enough weight and equipment for me to do what I needed.
    The average silverback gorilla in the wild is between 5'7 and 5'11, and weighs between 298 and 397 pounds (according to wikipedia). Why not shoot for that?

-LoRez from T Nation

Comment

Originally posted by sampsellta View Post
      I recently just left a job where I traveled for work. I would just google gyms in the area. I trained at a pretty nice gym in Albany, NY that was geared for powerlifting and bodybuilding and only cost $5 for a day pass. I also found a really nice gym that was geared towards bodybuilding when I was traveling in Virginia that was $7 per day.

Also, ask the receptionist at the hotel. The one hotel that I stayed at had a "gym" but they offered a free pass to a wellness center down the road. It wasn't the type of place that I typically like to lift at but it was free and had enough weight and equipment for me to do what I needed.
      Thanks for the advice, man. I will be doing some travel in southern VA (one of a few places), would you mind posting the name of the gym, or PMing it to me? I'm familiar with one in southeast VA called Brute Strength, which is a nice place to lift. But I'd like to compile as large a list as possible.

I will definitely keep in mind checking with the hotel to see if they have any deals with local gyms.

Comment

Training and traveling is always hard. I find I rarely have time to get to the gym and train unless it's right at/ near my hotel. My go to hotel in TX has "cardio row" almost no weights but like 50 cardio machines around the perimeter. *sigh*
        "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
        ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
          Training and traveling is always hard. I find I rarely have time to get to the gym and train unless it's right at/ near my hotel. My go to hotel in TX has "cardio row" almost no weights but like 50 cardio machines around the perimeter. *sigh*
          This makes me want to cry a little. I can deal with training as little as 3 nights per week... but I need at least two of them to be non-consecutive days. Dammit, why do we have to work for a living?!

Comment

Traveling for work can suck sometimes man especially when trying to stick to a training schedule. I'm assuming they give you some type of itinerary so you know ahead of time the area you'll be in. I had to travel for work a few year ago (not as often as you are going to be) and I would scope the area out to find local gyms and just pay for a week or 2. There's gyms everywhere. The only thing is cost can get a little high paying for temp memberships all the time but you gotta do what you gotta do bud.

Comment

Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post
              That's fine for every once in a while, or while on vacation, but how many hotels have a power rack, and a nice space to deadlift?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to travel often for work, so how bout it guys and gals? How do you find a place to lift when you're out of town often?

I'll look for a golds, LA fitness, powerhouse, or 24 hour fitness in the area. It's commercial, they offer day passes, and despite the craptastic hex plates with a majority of LA fitness / 24 hours it covers my needs. Do you get a car rental as part of your traveling budget?

Other search options include powerlifting friendly gyms.

tl;dr - google
              #docswholift
              PGY-1 FM
              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Working...
              X