**Featured Member - Collabera**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Featured Member - Collabera**

This month's featured member is Collabera. A big thanks to Spencer for taking the time to let us get to know him better!

Here ya go! I hope you guys and gals enjoy.
    Attached Files
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

What games are these?
    Attached Files
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

Spencer Cole, 26, No nicknames.

2. Where do you live?

I live in Olympia, Washington. The capital of Washington State in the South Puget Sound.

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

I work as a personal trainer and nutritionist. I would like to finish my Bachelors in Science degree someday but life has been crazy.

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

I have a beautiful girlfriend who I have been dating for just 2 months now. It's still new but shes made quite the impression on me. No kids thankfully at 26 years old.

5. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

I played football my freshman and sophomore year of high school but I wasn't tall nor big so I didn't stick with it. A few years after I began lifting, I realized I was very strong for my size and got into powerlifting competitions my freshman year. Not high school meets. Never wanted to be a part of that.

6. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL'ing, strongman? Competition highlights?

Powerlifting from age 15-18 years old. I competed in USAPL and WABDL meets. My first meet I won first with 6 others in my division(USAPL). I placed 2nd at WABDL World Championships against 12 others in my division. In those years you could lift in multiple divisions on any day you wanted, not the one that came first. So I thought I got 1st but someone had beaten my bench 2 days after I lifted so I got 2nd. Disappointed to say the least. They changed the rule that year after Worlds. At 17 I broke the world record for the 16-17 age group at 165 with a 396.6 bench single ply division. The record would later go on to be broken by a kid in Texas by 6 pounds but its still the Washington State record last I checked. Due to a freak accident at work before my senior year I never competed again but trained for strength still. Currently taking my time getting ready to compete in bodybuilding.

7. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you?

I was a depressed borderline suicidal 4'11" 200lb fat 8th grader (13 years old) when my dad got me into the weight room with his trainer who is a member of IM (LearningDC). I hated it. My diet consisted of Dr. Pepper, beef jerky and cheese-itz. After I started losing weight and seeing changes in my body I was hooked. Then as a freshman, when I realized I was stronger than most of the seniors at my high school I decided to compete. As they say, the rest is history. I still laugh to this day that my very first goal was to be able to brush my teeth without my belly jiggling. I lost 60lbs while growing 8 inches before I began competing in the 148s.

8. How would you describe your current training protocol?

DC all day. I love it. When I was introduced to DC by my trainer of 13 years now I couldn't believe what I had been missing out on. Sure I wasn't always training for size but my numbers on all my lifts dramatically improved. Even without ever flat benching. I love the rest pause sets, the extreme stretches and the frequency with a 3 way split. You would have to be very convincing to get me to switch to something else. I don't train legs DC right now. I have had a hard time in the past keeping up with it and recovering. So with legs right now I'm working past a few injuries that pop up occasionally.

9. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training?

I wish someone would have had me focus on my diet more. I naturally put on fat easily and I feel like if I would have had a better diet plan through all my years of training and not just the last 4-5 years that I would have so much more to go off as I prepare for my first show. Because my goal at first was to lose weight, I didn't eat much. Also, because training was a type of therapy for me and my depression I didn't take much time off and often spent 2-3 hours in the gym.

10. What goals are you working to achieve this year inside and outside of the gym?

I finished my first prep with Skip where I didn't end of competing, at 154lbs. I would like to end up over 160lbs and more conditioned after this off season which I plan on ending around March 2016. Because of a few nagging injuries last year I had a hard time with leg training consistency. My goal is to bring up my glutes and hamstrings and be balanced with my quads. The end goal is my first bodybuilding competition. I won't force it though. If I get to the end of my off season unsatisfied with where I end up, I'll come up with another plan. I won't start prep unless I think I have all the pieces together.

Outside of the gym I am looking to improve my clientele base for training and nutrition. I am happy with my income as a 26 year old who hasn't graduated college but I always strive for more.

11. Do you have any special skills or hobbies?

This is a hard one for me. Outside of the gym and personal training I don't think I have many "special" skills. I do feel like I am a very skilled trainer. I learned everything I know from mine who I've worked with for so long that I picked up the little things he did that made him so great. To me, training is not about how much knowledge you have but how well you can help people and be personable. Your clients don't care about the difference between hypertrophy and hyperplasia. They just want to look forward to spending an hour of their time with you. Nobody wants to spend $60 an hour with someone just counting reps and being a textbook robot. It's all about the relationship. It's better to be interested than interesting. I don't focus on "selling" personal training. I just focus on helping people and I feel that's what makes me successful. I really think training is my only "skill". It comes so natural to me. Some people don't like the saying but you'll never work a day in your life if you love what you do.

My hobbies include: Snowboading, playing guitar, working on my cars and cooking. I wish my knee was healthy enough to go snowboarding but it has not felt right since my knee surgery. Luckily the snow these last few years hasn't been any good. I've become a lot more serious about my training and nutrition since the injury though. Gotta look on the positive side of things.

12. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

ASAP Rocky, J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Logic, Schoolboy Q, Bullet for my Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

You won't ever see me listen to country. I just can't do it.

13. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

Can it be the whole cast of the Ocean's Eleven movies? If so, they have to be in character.

14. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go grocery shopping?

Monster Ultra Zero energy drink. I live off those things. Oh wait, real food? Any lean meats that are close to expiration that is on sale at Safeway.

15. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

Whatever Skip tells me to do. Right now my carbs are moderate and protein is high but not as high as I have ever been. Fats are low.
      I usually eat chicken, egg whites and ground turkey on a daily basis. I'll have ground beef or fish when they fit my budget. Quinoa, sweet potatoes and Jasmine rice are my typical carb sources. My skiploads are a whole other story. I have somewhat of an obsession with pop tarts. Any Flavor but brown sugar cinnamon is my favorite. If I could get away with an IIFYM kind of diet, my carbs would be all from pop tarts.

16. How often are you late for work or school?

Never. I leave for work a half hour before I have a client so that I have a couple minutes to go to the bathroom or eat if needed. I don't like to be in a rush.

17. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

No, I'm ugly.

18. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

I'm really not a very interesting person. So, nothing.

19. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

Where do I begin? I had sciatica in high school that prevented me from being successful competing in the deadlift. I partially tore my ACL and MCL snowboarding my junior year. Working at Jamba Juice before my senior year began my leg caught between the back of a step in freezer door and the step into the freezer and almost completely severed my Achilles tendon. It hung by a thread. This kept me from competing for years and never got back to it. Because of my high arch in the bench I ended up with spondylolisthesis which is where one of you vertebrae literally breaks from the others and doesn't go back. In 2013 I fully tore my ACL, MCL and two meniscuses with partial PCL and LCL, and double bone bruises after a longboarding accident. Now I have a large chunk of one of my hamstring muscles as a new ACL along with my gracilis. So that hinders me.

How I dealt with all of these injuries would take too long to talk about because some things are still ongoing. The only gym injury is the spondylo. in my low back and that was not acute. Even the sciatica in high school was related to taekwondo.

20. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Bend, Oregon. You have the lake and Mt. Bachelor both 15 minutes from town and you can ski all year round. It's the Lake Tahoe of Oregon and it keeps me closest to my family and friends and my sports teams. I love the Pacific Northwest and I can't ever see myself leaving.

21. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

I very rarely drink at all. So I have no idea. Probably not a lot. After my post high school partying days I never really enjoyed alcohol again. The feeling is not really that great and just one beer will make me feel "off" the next day in the gym.

22. Do you have any tattoos or piercings? Where?

I have a tribal band on my right arm I got my 18th birthday, a nautical star which I got on a $40 tattoo day at the shop. My favorite is the Olympia logo. You will find it on the Olympia beer and everywhere in our city. Olympia beer is now made in Wisconsin but it used to be made here, obviously. That is on the inside of my left arm.

I had my ears pierced but 5-6 years ago I was wearing some earrings that had hooks to them and when I took off my sweatshirt quickly one night drinking it caught on the fabric and ripped the earring right out. So now I have this split on my left earlobe that looks like a snakes tongue.

23. Do you train with a partner or by yourself?

Mostly by myself but there are a few people I will get together with to train. Especially as my DC lifts get extremely heavy. Still, I prefer on my own because of the intensity. I don't want to be rushed but I also don't want to be slowed down. I guess I'm picky. I also don't like to talk much during training. I hate it but when people try to talk to me while I'm lifting, I get irritated. I have a hard time getting my focus back. This developed during my prep with Skip because I was always crunched for time. It's exhausting sometimes to be personable with clients for 8+ hours. So when I train, it's me time.

24. What is your favorite lift?

I love rowing. Any row variation. Especially one arm rows or hammer strength rows.

I think having a big muscular back is the coolest thing and I take pride in the dedication to back.

25. What is your strongest lift?

Again anything rowing. When I get long into a DC blast I'll barbell row over 315 with relative ease in my off season. I can also do weighted pullups with a lot more weight than most. I feel like this is pretty good for someone my size and has instability in the low back with my injury.

26. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it's complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

I don't always mind cardio. I love the benefits actually. I know it's great for my long term health. Skip has been doing 10 cycles of level 4 HIIT and a couple 30 minute MISS sessions a week right now. I would do 45 minutes of MISS over any kind of HIIT any day. I hate hit. My legs get completely toasted and I cramp. I am getting used to it though and it is slowly growing on me.

27. Most embarrassing moment?

Today I fell flat on my ass trying to do the DC quad stretch under a bar.

28. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

Teleportation. I hate sitting in traffic.

29. What motivates you in life?

In 2008 my dad made some mistakes in his business he owned and lost everything. We went from being very wealthy to having literally nothing and wiping our asses with coffee filters because we couldn't afford toilet paper. My dad left to Texas with his new wife and family and I was forced to step up and take care of my mom who has a few disabilities and my younger brother. Those were very hard years but I told myself I'll never go through that or put my future family in that position. I wouldn't trade any of it though because it taught me how to be a man.

I'm never satisfied. No different than my training, I take that into other aspects in my life. Be a man and take care of your business. Don't bitch or complain. Just get shit done.

30. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

Someone who can communicate and express their feelings. Someone who doesn't play mind games. Must be happy and have a positive outlook on life.

31. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

Not really. However at 26 I don't have too many affairs to be ordered.

32. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I wish I was a little more patient. I occasionally deal with some very real anxiety and being impatient doesn't help.

33. Last book you read?

I don't think I have ever finished a book in my entire life. I've just never been able to enjoy reading fiction. I space out while reading too much cause I have some pretty bad ADD. Concentrating on something like this is difficult for me. But, give me something fitness or healthed related like research or studies and I can read that stuff over and over.

34. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

I would operate a very large animal rescue. I plan to be a foster home for rescues when I have my own house with lots of property. I love animals and I'm a huge softy when it comes to dogs especially.

35. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

I feel like IM attracts the right people. I've tried a few other boards and I just can't trust that the other people on there are any more knowledgeable than myself. Many of these guys just want to get their post count up and don't care about my well-being. I trust the people here at IM. You don't find IM unless you've been around the block a few times, for the most part. It's not overcrowded and we don't rip each other apart if we disagree on something. I don't think anyone feels like they "have to be right". Besides that, its where I communicate and work with Skip for his services.
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Very cool...thanks for sharing...I like how you picked up and handled business in #29...
        Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
          What games are these?
          The first one was Mariners vs Rangers. Amazing game and the best seats I ever had thanks to my girlfriend. Mariners won in stunning fashion with Cruz, Morrison and Cano hitting home runs that night.

The second was also against the Ranger but a different series. Watched Felix Hernandez pitch from the Kings Court. If you haven't seen a Marinera game there is a whole section that gives free t shirts and cards that does different chants for when Felix is about to strike someone out. That pic was actually us on Tv. A friend told me he saw us on there so I recorded the game and took that picture. So cool! Felix dealt 9 strikeouts that day in 89 degree weather for a Mariners win!

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
          *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
          •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
          *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
            Very cool...thanks for sharing...I like how you picked up and handled business in #29...
            Thank you! I wasn't always perfect admittedly but, I learned a lot from that situation.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

good stuff! Thanks for sharing with us!
              Joe

Contest History:
              2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
              2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
              2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
              2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
              2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
              2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Comment

Thank you for reading!

I didn't notice this till now but if you look at my ankle in the first pic, you can see the scar from my Achilles being severed.

Comment

Yep, you can see it. How tall are you now?

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

African or European???

Comment

good read colab
                      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                      17 AAU Super Total
                      '16-AAU Hi
                      '15-USPA Metro
                      '15-USPA State
                      '15-AAU HI
                      '14-AAU HI
                      '14-USPA Metro
                      '14-WABDL Sonny's
                      '14-USPA State
                      '14-HI Strongman
                      '13-USPA
                      '13-WABDL Sonny's
                      '13-USPA State
                      '13-AAU HI
                      '11-USPA Metro
                      '10-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-NPC Islands
                      '09-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA IronWorks
                      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                      '01-ABA Olympia
                      '01-ABA Islands
                      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                      '00-INBF Musclefest
                      '98-NGA Ill
                      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

5'8" but barely!

I don't know how to answer the second question lol

Comment

very cool ~ I love your story and you seem to really have it together for someone your age.
                          "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                          ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

x2 on the story. I was impressed with your character after reading your journal, specifically how much you care about helping your personal training clients to improve their heath, fitness and quality of life. Knowing a little more, I'm humbled.

What does Collabera mean?

The unladen swallow question is a quote from Monty Python Holy Grail movie. If you haven't seen it, and like silly goofy British comedy, it's worth a watch. Or 100, as my sister and I did growing up.
                            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                              very cool ~ I love your story and you seem to really have it together for someone your age.
                              Thank you! I take a lot of pride in that. My dad and I may have had a rough relationship growing up but I can say that I was raised right.

x2 on the story. I was impressed with your character after reading your journal, specifically how much you care about helping your personal training clients to improve their heath, fitness and quality of life. Knowing a little more, I'm humbled.

What does Collabera mean?

The unladen swallow question is a quote from Monty Python Holy Grail movie. If you haven't seen it, and like silly goofy British comedy, it's worth a watch. Or 100, as my sister and I did growing up.
                              Thank you as well! Same with being raised right, I learned from one of the best trainers out there who not only changed my life and was like a second father to me but he taught me everything he knows from training for 25 years. Before I ever began working as a trainer he allowed me to shadow him morning to night for months. Most trainers think they are great but this guy is a couple notches above great at what he does.

Collabera lol my last name is Cole and all my teachers and friends had names for me like Coleslaw, Colby jack and so on. One of my friends in 6th grade made me a hotmail account and that was what he put in as my email. I've had it ever since. It means nothing, he just would say my name in weird ways any time he could and that one stuck. (Call-uh-ber-uh) lol

Believe it or not I've never seen any Monty Python.

Comment

Working...
                              X