Eatin' Ain't Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eatin' Ain't Cheap

Grocery prices keep going up and up and up!

Every couple of months it seems like the things I like to eat (and should be eating for health) keep going up in price. And I'm not making any more money. There doesn't seem to be an end to this trend. I can't even buy mostly organic or grass fed foods anymore. Just isn't possible.

With all the bills adding up and gas prices and every other expense increasing as well how do you keep your grocery bills down when prices keep going up? What kinds of things do you guys do to be more efficient shoppers and still get the quality needed to achieve the results you want?

I'm trying to find ways to continue this lifestyle. There's gotta be substitutes for some of the pricier options in the grocery store or better places to shop than Safeway which seems to be my best option for most things.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

I dunno. I'm in the UK, so it's different, but the same. Cost of living is/has gone up. It's been such a gradual slow process over the last 7/8 years that you don't notice until you do. My occupation is getting worse, and mediocrity just becomes the norm. I'm a single bloke these days, just my self to keep. Compare that to men supporting families. Basically they aint got time to train, let alone the shopping bill.

Edit:
    That'll be men of working class, 30 and over I'm referring to. The rest still live at home these days as nobody can afford to either pay the mortgage required or even earn enough to pass the governments new legislation for a mortgage....oh.. and rents going through the roof...

the same, but different.....

I've edited this 3 times now. And now I'm thinking my rant sounds like a record from the 70s.

Economics, round and round
    ChubChub
    Bantamweight Member
    Last edited by ChubChub; 09-13-2015, 11:06 PM.

Comment

stop buying organic and grass fed and just buy based on your budget. Buy fattier cuts of meat - cheaper and you get more calories.
      Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
      FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
      www.316fit.com
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

with you guys
        I'm off of grass fed and organic
        I jus buy regular (still by very lean beef)
        And I eat a lot of egg whites

Course me being a redneck from tn

I say jus kill more deer, fish more and eat it lol
        Not always possible

But I love me some deer :roll:

And I love shooting things
        I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
        I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Chicken breasts were 1.77/lb today at the store.

Since there's some shortage of egg whites here I've been buying cartons of egg substitute.

Quaker sells a 10 lb container of oatmeal for ten bucks.

Laura Scudder plain crunchy peanut butter is half the price of almond butter and comes in a larger amount.

What foods are you talking about in particular?
          #docswholift
          PGY-1 FM
          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
            stop buying organic and grass fed and just buy based on your budget. Buy fattier cuts of meat - cheaper and you get more calories.
            Also, this.
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I can eat for about $60 a week. Walmart has chicken breast for $2/pound, you can get a big ass bag of jasmine rice (or brown rice) for a few bucks and a good fat source like PB is cheap or whole eggs (gone up quite a bit as of late). a 5 lbs bag of frozen broccoli florets are about 6 bucks or so and there you have all your major macros covered. Its not glamours and hell, its just plain boring, but it works. We are bodybuilders so were not eating for pleasure were eating for purpose. I never got into the grass fed, organic thing because I am a poor ass right now. watch Jason Huh's big on a budget video.

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                I don't buy organic or grass fed but I would like too. Fattier cuts are not an option with how my current diet is with Skip.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                  I don't buy organic or grass fed but I would like too. Fattier cuts are not an option with how my current diet is with Skip.
                  Oh sure, blame ME because you're broke.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

If you want to feel better about your grocery bill, I have 3 kids that still live at home on top of me and my wife. 700 only 2 weeks ago and went in today to get "some things" for the week and 350 later. This is common practice around here and I don't buy very much that is organic and I don't buy grass-fed because they don't make it lean enough for what I want. I do buy some fish but not much.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                    Instagram: @intensemuscle
                    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

$350 per week for my family on food. I have only had protein and BCAA's for supps for some time now which I get for almost cost price from a friend if I drive to pick them up from his factory.

If we eat out it is a minimum of $60 for Chinese or similar to feed the boys. Last night I ate 2 meat paddies, my wife ate 1 and each of my boys ate 4.

One of my boys is 9 and he eats 2 x what I eat some meals and I weigh over 230lbs and he is still lean.

My advice is to eat most of your calories as your intra or post weights drinks. This way your other meals are smaller and you can eat good quality food as you are having less of it.

FYI my standard post weights drink is 500lm local un-homogenized milk, 40g WPI vanilla, 2 eggs (my own chickens), 2 scoops coconut, 1-2 bananas, honey, 2-4 wheetbix or oats or a mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, nugget of ginger (natural digestive aid - from my home garden), ice and blend till smooth. This is cheap, good for you, filling and packs down the calories.

Hope this helps.
                      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                      ~William Bernbach

Comment

I've become very good over the years (especially those when I had zero money and a teenage boy at home) at shopping and prepping.
                        Having an organized space for storage helps. this way when XZY is on sale you can stock up. I have also never really spent the money on organic meat, I'm in a fortunate situation where my Dad is a cattle feeder so I get beef for free...not grass fed or organic but I'm not complaining.
                        I also do the COSTCO thing, I find what I save over the year MORE that covers the cost of the membership and they do carry tons of organic/naturals on items like veggies and oats and nut butters.
                        I also have a husband and step son who hunt and fish like mad-men so we get the meat from that too (although Im sure the gear and licensing dont really make the food source any cheaper)
                        Our local Sprouts grocery is always running double coupon specials one day a week too so if you can learn how to stock pile, its a good deal on certain items.
                        Just my two cents...
                        "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                        ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Two adults, two kids and I budget $200 a week, mostly crock pot chicken, 93/7 hamburger, turkey meat, rice, fruit, milk, eggs, some things for the kiddos. keep it simple and but protein powder occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by ChubChub View Post
                            I dunno. I'm in the UK, so it's different, but the same. Cost of living is/has gone up. It's been such a gradual slow process over the last 7/8 years that you don't notice until you do. My occupation is getting worse, and mediocrity just becomes the norm. I'm a single bloke these days, just my self to keep. Compare that to men supporting families. Basically they aint got time to train, let alone the shopping bill.

Edit:
                            That'll be men of working class, 30 and over I'm referring to. The rest still live at home these days as nobody can afford to either pay the mortgage required or even earn enough to pass the governments new legislation for a mortgage....oh.. and rents going through the roof...

the same, but different.....

I've edited this 3 times now. And now I'm thinking my rant sounds like a record from the 70s.

Economics, round and round
                            I do enjoy a good ol moan, so I'll chime in a mirror this. I live in the UK too and all of the above is depressingly true. I am very thankful that I don't have a family to support (like Skip and others), it's just me I've got to cater for, which is why whey protein makes up a lot of my daily protein intake because it works out cheaper than food. Yep, per serving it's the cheaper option compared to even egg whites.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              Oh sure, blame ME because you're broke.

Skip
                              I don't suppose my fats can increase to where I can buy the 85/15 ground beef

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              If you want to feel better about your grocery bill, I have 3 kids that still live at home on top of me and my wife. 700 only 2 weeks ago and went in today to get "some things" for the week and 350 later. This is common practice around here and I don't buy very much that is organic and I don't buy grass-fed because they don't make it lean enough for what I want. I do buy some fish but not much.

Skip
                              That does help actually. I just get stressed out sometimes and Personal Training has been slower this summer with vacations and all. Hoping things pick up. I have a couple new people this week and that should help.

Do you buy frozen chicken breast or stick with the unfrozen? Safeway has their "Eating Right" brand in yellow foam that is 2.99 to 3.50 a pound but the frozen is 4lbs for 8 bucks. I've always bought the "eating right" brand. Then there is a much fattier option that taste chewy when cooked that goes as low as 1.50 a pound but with all the added fat I'm not sure it's a great deal.

I'm trying to find a cheaper route for ground turkey. It's 5.99 for 20oz which is not great because I eat about 7pz per meal right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X